Talk

Advanced search

Ashermans syndrome - ttc no2

(8 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 28-Aug-08 18:13:32

I'm not sure where else to post this, but hoping someone may have experience. I developed asherman's syndrome (uterine scarring) in 2004 following a missed miscarriage and 2xERPCs. Had a further 3 miscarriages, then a healthy DS in 2007. Thinking of ttc no.2 soon.

Does anyone here have experience of Ashermans? It's quite rare, so perhaps not, but if so please bear with me! My periods post-Ashermans were very very light due to endometrium damage. I hoped they may improve following the birth of DS, but they remain the same. I just don't know how successful another attempt at pregnancy will be - DS obviously gives me hope, but the 3 mcs and continuing abnormal periods don't. Has anyone had firstly Asherman's, then more than 1 DC? If so, did your periods remain as they were post-ashermans, or did they return to 'normal'?

Hope this makes sense, and sorry for long post.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 28-Aug-08 20:08:38

Anyone?

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 20:18:36

Hi

I suffered Asherman's Syndrome following my c section with DD1 in 2002. I finally had treatment (2 hysteroscopies, removal of adhesions, and weeks of hormone treatment) during the latter half of last year.

Have to say that my periods are still very light though, despite treatment, although the severe pain is no longer there, and I do now have some bleeing at least.

I started TTC 4 years ago for #2, with no siccess yet, even int he 6 months after the last op. I have had a month of Clomid, but that hasn;t wrked yet - have 5 more months worth to try, so fingers crossed.

There are 3 or 4 people on MN who have had AS. Martionbishop (IIRR) had AS and then has had two children since.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 28-Aug-08 20:30:28

Hi Hulababy, thanks for replying. It's really nice that someone else knows about this condition (well, not nice exactly, of course as it's awful and I'm sorry that you have it too, but IYSWIM I do feel gratitude that someone else knows what it's all about as no-one seems to have heard of it!). I'm glad to hear you're no longer in pain and at least seeing some bleeding.

It sounds like you've had several years of treatment for it too. What hospital/consultant are you seeing?

Even once I'd had treatment (hysteroscopy & removal of adhesions) the bleeding didn't improve for me either, although I finally conceived and had a successful pg. I suspect once the endometrium is damaged, it's just thinner hence light periods, even if the adhesions have been removed.

Just out of interest, are you on Clomid for asherman's? I thought that was for regulating ovulation - and also thought that it thins the endometrium, which obviously isn't what we want!

Thanks again for replying, and wish you all the best ttc.

mags98 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:45:14

I have/had Ashermans too - I had a missed MC last August and then another early miscarriage in April this year.

I had come off the pill last march and then became pregnant immediately before I had a period. Following my first miscarriage I then had extremely light periods and funny pain - but regualr ovulations (according to OPKs). Then I waited 6 months and as I am over 35 got referred to the infertility clinic because of the lack of periods. Bloods OK, sperm OK. But I knew something was wrong, it really was not normal for me not to have periods. They thought it was probably all OK but arranged further tests.

I had a hysteroscopy at the beginning of July and to the surprise of my consultant (but not to me) it showed about 50% of my uterine cavity obliterated and only one tube visible. He cleared it at the same time. I didn't have a erpc so he thinks probably due to possible infection during my missed miscarriage. So I was on loads of hormones for a month, stopped 3 weeks ago and now just waiting to see what happens! The consultant seemed extremely optimistic though.

Fingers crossed!

Hulababy Thu 28-Aug-08 21:52:00

I am in Sheffield and under the Jessops wing there. My consultant is based there, all under NHS. Has meant some very long waits for treatment at times, but the consultant is fab - has written paper on AS and very knowledgeable on it. Worst part of the treatment was by far the hormones. I ended up with 17 weeks off work, with just 3 weeks back in between both ops/treatment, last year as a result!

On Clomid due to infertility. Not heard aboit it thinning the endometrium; not seen that anywhere - will look into it.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 28-Aug-08 23:19:18

Hulababy, I didn't mean to alarm you about the Clomid - I might be totally wrong there, it was just something I thought I saw once. But presumably if your consultant is clued up on AS and has prescribed it he knows what he's doing! Great that you've got someone who knows about it - it was quite a battle for me within the NHS (ended up seeing private consultant too for this reason), especially as it was more complicated by the recurrent miscarriages so I was caught between two departments and different consultants which made it a bit complex (and I had to tell the same long story every time!). Poor you for having so long on hormones, horrid.

Mags, thanks for replying too. Sorry you've also had this to go through. Interesting about you not having an ERPC - though infection can also be a cause of AS, I don't think it's that common. In my case, I had both with my first miscarriage - ERPC which didn't clear everything, so got an infection which meant a repeat ERPC, so a triple whammy! Sounds like you've had quick treatment, and hopefully have a great consultant - best of luck.

I'll keep my eye out for news from both of you!

Hulababy Fri 29-Aug-08 08:13:20

Good luck with everything.

I am happy to give the Clomid a go; Clomid is our last intervention try so come January, we are back to nothing. To be honest though DD is 6 now, and the gap is just getting bigger and bigger. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now