Talk

Advanced search

what am I doing wrong - RE doctor

(9 Posts)
beanieb Thu 28-Aug-08 11:38:56

Hi there.
I have been trying for a year. My OH has had a sperm test and so I went to the doctor (again) and she is now referring me for other tests. She says it will probably be a year.

when I mention this to people they seem shocked 'a year!' and tell me to go back.

should I?

If the doctor says there is a year waiting list what can I do? (I can't go private) surely going back and badgering her won't make the waiting list any shorter.

I feel like I can only sit and wait but other people are making me think I should be doing something.

help!?

sunnytimer Thu 28-Aug-08 13:34:00

Message withdrawn

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 28-Aug-08 13:45:40

I cannot see the point of the GP doing yet more tests because you will likely end up being referred to hospital anyway. Better to do this process sooner rather than later.

Also such tests will be repeated by hospital. Any test result done over 6 months ago should be disocunted; you need up to date results and both of you should be tested in tandem (i.e at the same time). It is little point in solely treating you if it happened he for instance has a male factor problem.

You should be referred to a subfertility unit at hospital if you have been ttc for a year without success. Asking you to potentially wait another year is not acceptable, particularly if you are over 35. Generally speaking, gynaes like to see couples who have been ttc for a year without success.

I would see another GP in the surgery; if they remain unhelpful consider changing GP practice. It may be also worth contacting your PCT (Primary care trust) to find out what their guidelines are. NICE also publish guidelines.

beanieb Thu 28-Aug-08 13:53:31

I am 38.

beanieb Thu 28-Aug-08 13:55:02

Oh - Atilla. Basically what has happened is my Doctor asked me to get my OH to have a sperm test before referring me.

we did this, it came back satisfactory so I went back and asked 'what next'

she said she will refer me but the waiting list is a year long.

beanieb Thu 28-Aug-08 13:58:19

also - How do I find my Primary Care trust?
I'm in Cardiff. I really don't know what I am looking for or where to start.

I found this but am not sure where to go from here...

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 28-Aug-08 17:07:04

www.cardiffandvale.wales.nhs.uk/portal/page?_pageid=33,1&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

This could be more helpful.

Good luck to you.

mykidzrmyworld Thu 28-Aug-08 17:26:15

HI Beanieb!

My friend has problems and has been ttc since 2005.She is only just going in for IVF in October after the process of finding out where the problems lye etc. she also lives in Cardiff and I work in uhw. Have u tried any alternative therapy regarding ttc. It might help while your waiting. I did have a number somewhere for a place in Velindre Hosp that does accupunture and have a good success rate.I will see if i can find num.

2toddlersandme Thu 28-Aug-08 20:14:44

I experienced infertility and finally conceived twins after nearly 5 years TTC. My advise (for what it's worth) is to push for referral now. The waiting list for funded treatment may be a year, but I'd be really surprised if that was the wait for referral for an outpatient appointment. GP's can be a bit clueless about this and it's worth reading up about your options. The likelihood is that you'll get pregnant while going through the tests etc. but speed is most definitely of the essence.
Let me know if you have any particular questions. And take care. It is stressful realising there 'may' be a problem (although it's more likely that there is not and, if there is, there are lots of options).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now