Talk

Advanced search

please help - am I having an eptopic

(36 Posts)
gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 21:15:59

Hi,

Advice urgently reuire - don't want to call NHS Direct as I find them really unhelpful.

I am on my period I think. Had four days of spotting (brown and red) and then heavy period yesterday and today. Don't usually get that much spotting but last couple of days been more normal. Had very sore boobs and thought maybe I was pregnant and the sore boobs only disappeared yesterday.

Last night I got severe pain in left shoulder late at night. Took painkillers and fell asleep and ok in morning. Started again a couple of hours ago making my gasp in pain. Painkillers not helped.

No other pains anywhere but know shoulder pain can be sign of eptopic. Doesn't feel lie muscle pain. Should I go to casualty? Please help.

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:24:14

I don't have experience in this but I would go to casualty and get it checked out. Everything I read about ectopics don't sound good if you don't get treated properly so imo better to be safe than sorry.

Do you have an out-of-hours doctor you can call? At our hospital, we have an out-of-hours doc on call so that you can see them before going to actual casualty and waiting it out.

Good luck. Maybe other MNs will give some better advice otherwise, go and get checked out.

Buda Sun 24-Aug-08 21:24:35

Other than NHS direct or A&E I can't think what to suggest really. If it IS ectopic you need t be seen asap so I would prob say A&E.

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 21:26:07

I would be really embarrassed though if get there and they say "you've hurt muscle, go home and rest", plus dh might be annoyed if we have to wait for hours to hear that.

Is it right if having bleeding even if it was eptopic the bleeding is it sorting itself out?

thisisyesterday Sun 24-Aug-08 21:31:28

gestures, this may help from the ectopic pregnancy site.
good description of the type of shoulder pain you get with an ectopic and also other symptoms you may have.

it does say that if you suspect an ectopic you should assume it is unless told otherwise. so read that, and if you still feel it could be then go to hospital

scottishmummy Sun 24-Aug-08 21:31:39

what other symptoms?any abdominal pain/cramp?you must go to A&E if you believe this to be ectopic.get a definitive diagnosis

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:32:25

I hear what you're saying but it must be bad enough for you to even consider that you might be going through an ectopic??

Surely it's better that they tell you that it's just a strained muscle than you collapse later with a ruptered fallopian tube. Don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom but as I said, I don't have experience but everything I read says that you really should get checked out.

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:34:23

Otherwise, you have to give NHS direct a call.

Please get checked out...I'd rather be laughing with you later when you tell us that it was just a strained muscle smile

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 21:35:46

I would say go to A&E. NHS direct don't really do a good job because they can't assess you properly over the phone. Let them check you over, you won't be wasting their time at all. I worked in peads A&E for a while, we saw all sorts, alot of children with colds. NHS direct will only tell you to go anyway. If it turns out to be nothing then that's good, at least you've been checked over.

Please go. smile Go now.

tootidy Sun 24-Aug-08 21:35:46

Right, have had two ectopics. So, I would STRONGLY advise you to get checked out asap. Ring your local early pregnancy assessment unit NOW and if they are not open (should be), go to a&e. I do not mean to scare you but I really want you to get checked out, ectopics can be life threatening.

Bleeding can be asign of ectopic and shoulder tip pain is a syptom.

If you go to a&e - be forceful - don't let them brush you off. You need bloods taken to see if your a re pregnant and if you are your hcg won't quite double in 48 hrs if ectopic and a scan as soon as (probably be tues now)

Good luck and will be on line if you want to ask me anything else.

tootidy Sun 24-Aug-08 21:37:26

Really good website - www.ectopic.org

scottishmummy Sun 24-Aug-08 21:42:11

go get seen,get a pg test.ultrasound will determine if pg too.put your mind at ease.ectopic needs medical attn, is potentially VSerious
poor you - must be VVScared

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 21:43:36

Is there someone who can go with you?

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 21:45:47

Thanks everyone. dh will come with me if I ask. I think I am just on period with shoulder pain but what if I'm not! eeek. Have been on website you suggest trying to work out whether it is shoulder tip pain or not but it is qute complicated to work out. Will ring epau now. Thanks everyone

alfiemama Sun 24-Aug-08 21:47:27

take care gestures,

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 21:49:09

smile We're all thinking of you. I hope everything's OK.

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:53:18

Take care smile

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 21:53:40

I rang the nearest 24 hour epau and the staff nurse is with a patient at the minute but is going to phone me back in 10 mins and advise me n whether to come in. wouldn't have rung without your urging - thank you.

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 21:58:56

nurse rang back. she said if no tummy pain and a negative preg test then very unlikely to be eptopic so I am going to leave it for tonight and assume all fine. x

tootidy Sun 24-Aug-08 22:00:38

Let us know how you get on - thinking about you - hope you are ok.

tootidy Sun 24-Aug-08 22:04:44

I'm sorry to go on BUT it is not unheard of to have a negative pregnancy test with ectopic - I did with 1st one and you do not have to have pain for it to be ectopic - I had next to none with 2nd. Please ring back if you are at all worried.I am not saying you are having one and hope your not. If I was you I would ring the epas unit tomorrow and insist on being checked - before if worried/have more or worsening symptons. Log on to ectopic website - you will get loads of great advice.

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 22:07:08

Thanks tootidy. If it;s not gone tomorrow morning I will ring back and head down there. I do appreciate the advice. Did you have shoulder pain? Was it continuous or in waves?

tootidy Sun 24-Aug-08 22:11:59

I actually did'nt have shoulder pain with either - i believe that thats a sign of internal bleeding - don't mean to scare you - just want to be honest. The think with EP's is that you may not have all of the symptoms. Please take care.

gestures Sun 24-Aug-08 22:13:19

thanks tootidy. will do, and if it worsens I'll go straight to a&e

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 22:16:24

Personally, I wouldn't leave it to get any worse and would go to A&E now. It's the only way that you can find out what's going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now