Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

anyone consulted chinese doctor about ttc?

(17 Posts)
nasa Thu 17-Feb-05 19:24:17

anyone? if so, how did you go about finding a good practioner?

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 11:41:13

Thought this was a long shot but bump anyway.

PhDMumof1 Fri 18-Feb-05 11:42:16

Not Chinese doctor but acupuncturist. Any use?

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 11:43:03

ooo, yes, what happened and did it work and how did you find one experienced in this area?
Thanks

Sponge Fri 18-Feb-05 11:49:36

A friend of mine who has endometriosis did and the herbs they gave her made her quite ill. Be careful.

PhDMumof1 Fri 18-Feb-05 11:58:47

Thru a friend's rec who was studying in the field. She also did reputable work at the London Lighthouse for pain relief in HIV sufferers, altho she has now moved on to Spain, so can't pass the rec on.

I am not in to the herbs. TBH I only did acup bec I was desperate but it did seem to work.

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 12:06:21

how many sessions did you have phdmum? And did you have a specific 'condition' or just difficulty conceiving?
Maybe I should get in touch with national acupuncturist assoc.
sponge - that's why I'm wary, I've got a really good book about it but it's american based author so no info on how to find a credible practioner in this country?

Sponge Fri 18-Feb-05 12:09:10

Where do you live nasa?

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 12:24:32

manchester
think I might have found someone actually

PhDMumof1 Fri 18-Feb-05 13:45:07

don't know if relevant to your case, but was diagnosed polycystic ovaries - which I now think might have been a misdiagnosis given that it was so easy TC after acupuncture - or maybe acup. IS a miracle cure ... !

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 13:54:29

no diagnosis of anything yet. AM just going through tests at GPs but have heard acup is v good in these cases. How many sessions did you have?

Woodelf Fri 18-Feb-05 14:17:37

Went for acupunture and was given herbs as well (YUK) for fertility as have had m/c in past then discovered I was pregnant already but only just so continuing with the acupuncture to keep my 'yin and yang' in balance and blood pressure sensible. Was recommended by a friend who became pregnant this way. Dr China is a pricey but professional chain with lots of shops around the country.
Good luck!

nasa Fri 18-Feb-05 14:29:45

thanks. got to try something.

greenbug Tue 22-Feb-05 08:53:16

you have to be careful when you choose a chineese doctor. I went to Dr.China as well (they have shops across the country) and I had to explain to the doctor through a translator about my irregular periods. the translator didn't know how to translate some of the words and the whole appointment turned out to be rather comical as I was listening to this chinese doctor who was waving her hands and really hopeing I would understand her. Anyhow, they reasured me that they had the herbs for me. The translator brough 5 different boxes and 5 boxes of each differnet herb. so they wanted to sell me 25 boxes of things that I didn't have a clue what they were, and on top of that it was going to last me only one month and i had to take all this for 3 months to make it work. The supply for one month was £250!!!! The girl translator was trying to reasure me that she was giving me a very good deal. I didn't take it all I wanted to book was an accupuncture session. So I went down the street to another herbalist. The accupuncturist there told me that there has been recent findings with Dr. China's herbs being contaminated and not always containing the right ingridents.
My experience made me quite sceptical about helbal medicine, or rather more careful. When you try something like this you need to be convinced that all your questions are answered properly and confident that the stuff in the jar is exactly what you need.

However, i gave accupuncture a go and it was rather relaxing.

MeerkatsUnite Tue 22-Feb-05 13:11:02

British Acupuncture council
Park House
206-208 Latimer Road
London
W10 6RE

Tel 020 8964 0222

They'll put you in touch with someone who is properly registered.

Would strongly suggest you give the Chinese herbal medicine a wide berth altogether. You do not know for certain what is exactly contained in such things so caution is advised.

rosies Fri 25-Feb-05 09:03:56

reflexology is also good for regulating periods, bringing the body into balance, extending luteal phases (as body balances) stress, of course... and it doesnt taste or smell as bad as chinese herbs!

i know a good centre in the wirral... see here caroline is an excellent therapist.

purpleturtle Fri 25-Feb-05 09:06:33

my cousin finally conceived after seeing a homeopath. Have you tried that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: