Talk

Advanced search

Dp needs a sperm test... What should we expect?

(15 Posts)
PastYourBedtime Sat 23-Aug-08 10:22:26

My blood tests have come back normal (so why do I have a 50 day cycle?!) so the doctor has told dp that he will need to have a sperm test done. Dp only has one testicle although the doctor has said this will make no difference to the result. Anyones dp ever had a test? We have no idea what to expect and dp is in a bit of a panic. Thanks.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 23-Aug-08 10:29:49

Depends where you live - at some hospitals you go in and ahem donate into a little pot in a little room, in others they give you the pot you do it at home and then have to rush it in. Quite honestly I think blokes have a much better time of it, instead of being poked and needled, they get to have a wank hmm

whomovedmychocolate Sat 23-Aug-08 10:29:50

Depends where you live - at some hospitals you go in and ahem donate into a little pot in a little room, in others they give you the pot you do it at home and then have to rush it in. Quite honestly I think blokes have a much better time of it, instead of being poked and needled, they get to have a wank hmm

PastYourBedtime Sat 23-Aug-08 10:36:22

I don't think he could perform on demand so hopefully it'll be a d.i.y at home job. (We are in Birmingham btw) the way hes moaning about it you'd think he was being asked to chop it off or something but i think hes just scared about the results which is understandable.

Mummyfor3 Sat 23-Aug-08 10:48:02

Bedtime, tell DP not to panic and TO BE A MAN grin!!

Sorry, do not mean to be flippant, but for obvious reasons a simple, non-invasive test for the man has to be performed first before tests that involve risks for the woman are to be considered (like laparoscopy/hysteroscpy, both camera tests of your pelvic organs).

If your GP has not given you a little pot and instructions how to get the sample to hospital (needs to get to lab as fresh as possible, usually within 2 hrs of <ahemm> production) he may need to do it in hospital. You can assure him that he will get privacy and time.

Most men do not relish the thought of having to give this particular type of sample, but honestly, my sympathy has limits as beyond the initial blood tests women have the more uncomfortable/riskier/more time consuming tests - and all going well, we are the ones who "enjoy" pregnancy, childbirth and usually the bulk of child care.

So: see above. Stiff upper lip (and something else grin..) and he will be fine. And hopefully result will be too. BTW, the fact he has one testicle does not matter as the test looks for No of sperm/mililiter, usually @ 20 million/ml.

LadyMuck Sat 23-Aug-08 11:19:10

If he has to donate in the hospital then there is nothing stopping you from coming and "assisting".

At our NHS hospital Dh was given his cup and shown into the stock cupboard - not the most conducive of environemnts, but the only place with a door which could beat the private clinic he was shown to a room with a stash of mags, videos etc.

piratecat Sat 23-Aug-08 11:21:55

my ex had to do this, i expect it varies from hosp to hosp.
Just a room, he had a wank, then returned the sample to reception i think. The worst bit for him was having to walk back up corridor with it hidden under sleeve.

PastYourBedtime Sat 23-Aug-08 11:26:44

He has to make an appointment with his own gp monday, we saw mine this morning but his doesn't open on a saturday. Any idea how long the results take to come back? Thanks for your advice smile

Mummyfor3 Sat 23-Aug-08 12:01:50

Time for results will vary locally, I'd imagine. Where I work it is about 1 week. You could phone the lab and ask.

PastYourBedtime Sat 23-Aug-08 19:54:23

Thanks smile

beanieb Sun 24-Aug-08 11:48:48

We got my OH's back in a week. The only problem with doing it at home is that you only have an hour or so to get it up to the hospital so for us it was better to go to the hospital and do it there. My OH was pleased because he g a bigger cup at the hospital to the one the Doctor gave him.

As others have said there's a room with magazines in it to help things along. Your OH will have to abstain for three days before the test too. Mine abstained for 5 bcause they hadn't made it clear that it was just three days. We were told there was a possibility he might be called baack as he abstained too long but in the end he didn't have to.

PastYourBedtime Mon 25-Aug-08 12:44:14

Thanks beanie, we have to phone the doctors this afternoon and make the appointment, just want to get it over and done with really. I'm not sure how i'll feel if the results are really bad, am more worried about how he'll feel though.

solo Mon 25-Aug-08 12:49:00

My exh did this and I rushed it to the hospital keeping it under my arm for body temperature maintenance.

StephanieM Tue 26-Aug-08 14:41:43

Just to let you know, there are medical studies showing that a sample he does at home will be 'better' i.e. have better quality sperm etc than one done at a clinic.

beanieb Tue 26-Aug-08 14:42:49

Stephanie - do they say why? That's interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now