Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best early tests?

(3 Posts)
anxiouspants Fri 22-Aug-08 16:29:09

I have no idea about any of this blush so please help. When is the earliest you can test (that a test could pick up)? Are there any brands that are particularly reliable for early testing or that are good value for money?

ScaryHairy Fri 22-Aug-08 16:39:16

Although some tests claim to be accurate "6 days before your period is due" I have always found that the earliest I can get a reliable result is 11 or 12 dpo.

Having said that, you could well test at 12 dpo and get a negative which, had you waited a couple more days, would have been a positive, because of the variable length of time implantation can take.

First Response tests seem to be fairly sensitive but if you test early, get a positive and then the pregnancy fails to implant properly (as is very common) that is a real rollercoaster.

So, if you can, it is better to wait until your period is late and then to test using something a bit less sensitive that requires more of the pregnancy hormones to produce a positive.

You can buy tests on the internet which are relatively cheap. A website I have used in the past is Access Diagnostics.

anxiouspants Fri 22-Aug-08 16:42:05

Thank you smile I'll look at that site now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now