Talk

Advanced search

New AMH test/FSH testing/IVF

(6 Posts)
eleveld Wed 20-Aug-08 14:35:03

Just wondered if anyone had experience of this.

I am currently trying to get IVF treatment at St Mary's in Manchester but can't have it at the moment as my FSH levels have been over 10 on last 3 months blood tests.

Have just been to consultant and they said that the new AMH test (Anti Malaria Hormone) will be available from September which is meant to give a much better indicator of ovarian reserve/function than FSH levels (although he did say that he didn't expect mine to be good given my consistent FSH results).

Just wondered if anyone had experience of this? Has anyone had high FSH but then had good results with AMH and been able to do IVF?

Many thanks in advance

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 20-Aug-08 15:35:33

Have also read about this test.

There is some controversy over what exactly this test can truly tell you, if anything. Using the test as a predictor of menopause is probably useless, but using it as an indicator of ovarian reserves may be more feasible. Whatever the use, fertility experts currently believe that the AMH test is about 70 percent accurate.

You made a freudian slip with the wording - its called anti mullerian hormone test.

eleveld Wed 20-Aug-08 15:47:37

Thanks Attila for you help once again,

Yes I realised the mistake I made after I googled it! Feel a bit stupid now as I came away from the clinic thinking what's it got to do with Malaria?! (when the consultant said the words to me that's what it sounded like!)

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 20-Aug-08 15:56:57

Easy mistake to make, it does sound very similiar to the word malaria.

Think that some companies do offer this now but I would certainly talk to your cons about the implications of knowing such a test result.

Sticki Wed 20-Aug-08 19:12:42

Yes, Ive had the AMH test (Feb 07) at UCH in London. Didnt say anything different from the fsh tests Ive done, although the results spread seem more accurate than the fsh tests.

Sorry I dont really have more details about it - our consultant did it to see if he could explain our IF, but it didnt.

Good luck

anniemac Mon 01-Sep-08 11:37:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now