Talk

Advanced search

Just been referred after day 21 tests. Will someone please tell me what happens next?

(13 Posts)
hurryhurry Fri 15-Aug-08 11:29:45

Hello! I got my Day 21 (well the equivalent as I ov'd on CD19) blood test results today and my GP said my progesterone levels were low at 26.7. No problems with DH's swimmers ... so problem must be me. She referred me to a hospital for further tests and said they may prescribe Clomid and/or check tubes & run other tests etc. I've been temping for the past 9 months & using digital ovulation kits so I'm obsessively in tune with my cycle blush

Could anyone please tell me what they are likely to try first? From the sounds of things I have a 3 month wait ahead of me but it would be good to know what tests they might run & what course of action they might take.

Also, is there anything I can do to help myself in the meantime? Is there any hope I could conceive in the next few months with a low progesterone level?

I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom or similar experiences! Thank you very much in advance.

hurryhurry Fri 15-Aug-08 13:25:57

bump

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 15-Aug-08 13:29:38

I don't have any direct experience of this, but they may do an internal examination to check all is well with the reproductive organs - i.e no pcos, blocked tubes and the like and following that, they will decide on a course of action. If you haven't got any problems with the womb, then they would probably prescribe Clomid - this causes you to produce more eggs and iirc, they are likely to be more viable for fertilisation..

hth? Best of luck with it all

hurryhurry Fri 15-Aug-08 16:47:42

Thanks Puss - I appreciate it! smile

Vix67 Sun 17-Aug-08 12:49:32

Hi hurry,

I have also been told my progesterone levels are low , they have monitored my ov through blood tests on d21 and d28. My levels were 20 one month and 28 another month. I had already been in for a laparoscopy as i had regular spotting and they wanted to check for endometriosis, check tubes etc..
They found i have mild endo but shouldnt affect me conceiving??!!
My DP's swimmers were all fine so they have now prescribed me chlomid. I have just finished my first course and are doing my blood tests again on d21 and d28 they will then see if my levels have gone up. If they have they will keep me on 50mg of chlomid , if they haven't they will increase the dosage.

Chlomid for me seems fine, i think my moods are bit up and down and in the middle of my cycle round about ov time, i get stitches in my ovaries for a few days. And i now have v sore nipples , sorry too much info!! But as long as they help me get a BFP then i dont mind!!

Hope this helps x

OracleInaCoracle Sun 17-Aug-08 12:55:00

sorry that your progestero was low, but the good thing is that they have found something. i know it doesnt seem like it but now they cn draw up a plan. they will probably run a HSG gto check your tubes this is where they pump dye through your uterus and tubes and take xrays. they obv cant do i when you are pg so will probably run it before they start clomid.

they may do other blood tests to see if the low prg is linked to anything else.

they may not prescribe clomid at all, and may try progesterone instead. good luck

cece Sun 17-Aug-08 12:55:01

I have to have this test done this month too. Also have an appointment at the hospital. Did you have the 5 day FSH test as well?

I think my progresterone will be low too as I have been getting spotting for several days before my period is due for a few months now. Do you get that as well hurry?

I am also temping and I think my LP is only about 11 days on average. What is yours?

CaptainKarvol Sun 17-Aug-08 12:55:56

What happened next for me (after 12 months of ttc and a non-ov result from a day 21 blood test) was

referral to a fertility consultant,
a vaginal exam / manual check of my uterus, another set of day 21 bloods and a detailed ultrasound exam of uterus / ovaries.
And an appointment to discuss starting on clomid as all the other stuff was OK (despite scaring me witless by reporting an internal fibroid, which turned out to be tiny...).

And then finding I was pg and cancelling the appointmentgrin

May your own experience be as smooth!

hurryhurry Sat 30-Aug-08 15:55:33

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your replies. I didn't think I was going to get anymore and so didn't check for a while ... it was a lovely surprise when I saw your posts smile

Vix - thank you for all the info. I hope Clomid brings you your BFP very soon!

Lissielou - you're right, it's good they found something and I'm hoping it's fixable. Thanks for filling me in on the different procedures!

Cece - Have you had your day 21 test yet? I'm hoping it went well for you. My GP just did the day21 test, but not the 5 day FSH ... I wondered if she should have done both after reading about them but as she went ahead and referred me I didn't question it too much. I never spot before AF and my LP is fine at 14 days. I wish my referral appointment would hurry up and come ... I still haven't heard anything from the hospital. Hopefully your BFP is on its way!

CaptainKarvol - sounds like your baby has perfect timing!! Thank you for sharing ... would love the same happy ending for myself smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-Aug-08 16:02:41

hurryhurry

Progesterone is only part of the story; both your LH (luteinising hormone) and FSH levels should be checked around day 3 in the cycle. LH and FSH must be compared against one another; it is only when that is done that any hormonal abnormality may be seen.

Both of you should be tested by the hospital further to get a diagnosis of the underlying problem.

Clomid should only be prescribed if there is definitive proof you are not ovulating. Its primary job is to make the ovaries work harder.

You'll likely not hear from the hospital just yet but hopefully an appointment will come through for you soon.

cece Sat 30-Aug-08 16:17:02

Yes I have had FSH done and have to have 21 day test the next two cycles. I went to the hospital a week or so ago. Basically I have to lose weight blush. Going back in Dec for weigh in and then discuss the 21 day blood tests and decide on any further options.

hurryhurry Sun 31-Aug-08 11:01:24

Attila thank you so much for your reply. I've seen you post before and have to admit I was hoping to hear from you as you arealways so knowledgeable! I'm sure the hospital will arrange CD3 tests for me then ... to be honest the low progesterone surprised me as my LP is fine and I never spot between cycles although I've read you don't always get those signs with low prog. Will be interesting to find out what's going on & how to fix it.

CeCe I take it your FSH was OK? I am bracing myself for the weight talk too as I desperately need to lose some ... make that a LOT blush. Don't you hate it that everything takes so long? Have they given you a goal to lose before you see them again? I wish full cycles only lasted for a week instead of a month so we could get through this so much more quickly! The fact that everything takes so long just adds to the pressure and heartache ... not much we can do about that though. Anyhow, I'm very glad that you're already in the process of getting everything sorted in preparation for your BFP ... here's hoping I won't be long behind you smile

cece Sun 31-Aug-08 17:56:49

Yes I have got to lose at least 10 kilos by Xmas. Think that is a stone and half ish.hmm

Yes my FSH levels were 3 which I believe is good. I was a bit worried I was starting perimenopause as I am 41... af becomming unpredictable, heavier
and getting spotting before af due for a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now