Talk

Advanced search

is this just imagination?

(10 Posts)
amiimaginingthings Tue 12-Aug-08 09:06:16

I'm trying to work out if I could be pregnant. now i KNOW the answer is to go and do a test, but I think it's still way too early - or is it?

DH and I had sex on day 8. day 10, or even day 9, I start to feel a bit strange. has continued. I'm tired, much more than usual (though ds has been waking early again, so it could be because of that); I'm bad tempered; I am very mildly nauseous some of the time (didn't have this before).

Is there any way I could have conceived on or shortly after day 8 and started to get symptoms so soon? And if I did, do I still have to wait until just before my period is really due to test, or can I test sooner? And if so, how much sooner? (I've only got one test...)

ScaryHairy Tue 12-Aug-08 10:15:03

Was day 8 the only day you had sex or might you have conceived earlier?
You would not get symptoms from day 9 or 10 if you conceived on day 8. Progesterone (the dominant hormone after ov) can cause nausea, tiredness, mood swings etc.

As regards tests, it is always best to wait until your period is due, especially if you only have one test and don't want to buy more. Otherwise if you test early and get a negative, this might just be because your hormone levels are still too low to be read. If you are certain about when you ovulated, you could wait until 13 days after that and then test with some degree of reliance on the results, but like I said it is always best to wait (not that I can talk, I test from about day 5 if I am not physically restrained...wink)

beanieb Tue 12-Aug-08 10:17:28

There would be no symptoms that soon after Ovulation. Conception happens a bit later when the egg implants.

Of course you may have ovulated earlier without knowing. Do you know when you ovulate? Perhaps you were/are ovulating on CD9/10 and that is what is making you feel weird?

amiimaginingthings Tue 12-Aug-08 11:07:34

no, definitely couldn't have conceived earlier. and in the past when i've been more in tune with what's going on, i've ovulated later than this (more like day 11) - however have got pregnant from sex this early twice (mc both times though...)
Feel v confused about all this as a result - I'd like to be pg again, but if I am then I know that I'll worry and worry, given how the other early ones turned out (ds was conceived much later on)
I am a miser, I will resist testing until sometime next week. or the weekend, maybe...

amiimaginingthings Tue 19-Aug-08 07:34:11

BFP!
6 days before period due. Wow!

OracleInaCoracle Tue 19-Aug-08 07:37:47

i have ovd on CD9 before now and got pg, however, you should leave it as long as possible before testing

littlefrog Tue 19-Aug-08 07:51:14

have now tested twice, on consecutive days (once with the clearblue freebie), BFP both times - so seems pretty clear!
fingers crossed this little one hangs on...

littlefrog Tue 19-Aug-08 07:51:47

so much for changing my name (not sure why I did, tbh), I forgot I'd changed it back!

OracleInaCoracle Tue 19-Aug-08 07:58:31

lol littlefrog, congrats. praying for a stiky one!

littlefrog Tue 19-Aug-08 08:58:37

thanks lissielou. have conceived after sex v early in my cycle twice before and mc both times (ds conceived much later on). fingers and toes will be crossed for a long time, I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now