Talk

Advanced search

TTC and Citalopram

(6 Posts)
missblythe Mon 11-Aug-08 10:45:11

Anyone know if this is going to be a problem.

We want to TTC no. 2, but am on 40mg of Citalopram, which was prescribed for PND after DD was born.

Have made an appointment to see GP, but not till Fri, and my dates mean I need to know, like, NOW!

missblythe Mon 11-Aug-08 15:02:09

bump

bluestarlavender Mon 11-Aug-08 15:16:10

Hi Missblythe,

According to the BFN (British National Formulary), the advice for pregnancy is use only if potential benefit outweighs risk. And there's no evidence of congenital malformations. (Except with escitalopram, and this is only in animal studies, not human). So you should be fine.

The basic advice is to try to stop taking before 3rd week of pregnancy.

Hope that helps you in the interim before you see your GP.

BSL x

Jael Mon 11-Aug-08 16:57:15

Hiya, I've been prescribed citalopram for panic attacks, weve been trying to conceive for just over a month, and I've stopped taking mine, stupid I know, but I've done some research and found that it can affect the baby when it's born, not major affects, but the baby can come out blue etc apparently, I wern't going to take the risk. My plan is to go back to the doctor when I am pregnant. As long as you go to the doctor soon, I'm sure they can put you on another form of anti-depressant that isn't so harmful, maybe a lower dose too, I was only prescribed 20mg, but I've been on it for just over 6 mnths. I wish you luck,let me know how you get on x

bluestarlavender Mon 11-Aug-08 17:20:49

This thread might also be able to help you.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/49/191175

missblythe Mon 11-Aug-08 18:29:54

Thanks so much for your help Bluestar, and for sharing your experience, Jael.

Reading that thread has made me realise how flipping terrified I am about having another horrendous birth. I sure that was the root of all my problems after DD was born.

Will discuss all this with the GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now