Talk

Advanced search

Chemical pregnancy

(63 Posts)
AbstractMouse Fri 08-Aug-08 14:05:26

Hi just wondering in a chemical pregnancy how long would the Hcg take to fall?

Trying to decide when to use my final (yes final I am not bloody buying anymore this month) test.

justjules Sat 09-Aug-08 13:03:48

i would think quite quickly but bumping for more advice

OracleInaCoracle Sat 09-Aug-08 13:05:22

iit tends to fall quite quickly, however none are the same. when was your cp? and sorry x

Jools1 Sat 09-Aug-08 14:55:23

I had the same last month - BFP one day, then bleeding the next evening and a BFN .. Too much to hope for really as it was my first month TTC and I didn't really know what I was doing !

Related to that - I do a lot of gym classes and didn't cut back when I suspected I may have conceived - just wondering whether spinning and high impact aerobics might have caused the CP and I should cut down ? I don't want to but will if it means more chance of a sticky egg.

Here's hoping for better things this month

QueenyEisGotTheBall Sat 09-Aug-08 15:55:26

sorry to hear about your CPsad
i have had 2 CPs this year and the BFP quickly turns to a BFNsad have you had BFP since starting to bleed? if you test again and get a BFP i would consider calling your local EPAU. it is possible that it wasnt a cp if you still have BFP. when was your BFP and when did you start to bleed? sorry about all the questionsblush i hope you get some concrete answers soon.
xx ei xx

AbstractMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 18:39:55

Well it's a bit of a long story, got a faint bfp with boots test saturday, then started bleeding. Bled for 5 days pretty much like a period. Was a bit hmm about it so did a cheapie test thursday, then a cb digital which were both +, another + friday and a + today on a poundshop test which was quite faint (but then again it is only about 2mm wide lol.

I'm just confused, don't want to get attached to the thought of being pg.

Should really go to dr's, but don't want to for some reason.

AbstractMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 18:40:39

Thanks for replying btw smile

SalBySea Sat 09-Aug-08 18:42:27

chemical pregnancy?

QueenyEisGotTheBall Sat 09-Aug-08 20:00:38

abstractmouse it doesnt sound like a CP to me. especially if you had a BFP on a CBDshock (they are notoriously unsensitive) if you do a test and it is still positive i would ring your local EPAU and ask for an urgent appointment. either way this need to be logged onto your file for future reference. maybe do a test tomorrow morning with FMU and if it is positive go from theresmile good lucksmile
salbysea a chemical preg is an early pregnancy loss. it is called this as the only thing to 'prove' the pregnancy is the hormones (chemicals) in the blood as it is far too early for a scan to confirm the pregnancy. it is usually pregnancies that have ended before or around the 5week point. they are miscarriages but very early ones. they can be mistaken for a very heavy, late period in those not expecting to be pregnant and therefore not testing for it. they can also be caused when a fertilised egg doesnt implant properly. it is quite common for them to happen (most women are thought to have one in their fertile lifetime) but it isnt known how many actually happen due to the mistaken heavy periods and unreported ones. does that make sense?smile
xx ei xx

SalBySea Sat 09-Aug-08 20:10:30

thanks abstractmouse

AbstractMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 20:48:09

Thanks queeny, I supose I'll have to brave the dr's, the epu needs dr's referal and they don't see people before 6 weeks (useful not) so maybe the dr will do blood tests? Or laugh at me who knows.

AbstractMouse Sat 09-Aug-08 20:50:04

Oh yes and heres how mental I am, on friday i drank loads of water so my wee was really dilute, then did the cbd hmm like it proves anything lol. The thing ttc makes you do grin

OracleInaCoracle Sun 10-Aug-08 11:43:46

AM, you needto see your gp and ask for bloods to rule out an ep. some women do bleed during pg, its not uncommon, but you really need to get it checked out. it doesnt sound like a cp at all tbh. good luck.

AbstractMouse Mon 11-Aug-08 23:53:16

Thanks lissie, went to the gp today who gave me a pot to piss in lol, which I have to hand in to the surgery on friday and if it comes back + make an appointment next week and they will refer me for an early scan. (no idea why, isn't a urine test a bit well pointless hmm)

I did mention the whole blood test/ectopic/hcg rising thing, he just said "well it's very early" and looked like he wanted to pat me on the head.

Any advice, do you think it will be safe to wait till then? Like I said the epu doesn't see people before 6 weeks, so I suppose I have no choice.

roseability Tue 12-Aug-08 09:36:34

Abstractmouse I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Really want it to work out after my disappointment. I can't believe how rude some GPs are! Let us know how you get on, I am just looking forward to getting down to trying again wink

bethoo Tue 12-Aug-08 09:45:23

cp is when the egg was fertilised but for whatever reason did not actually embed in the uterus so quickly dies. the hormones are usually gone within 3 days. i had one, one day a BFP then bleeding the next day then a BFN.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 12-Aug-08 10:36:33

god, this type of thing makes me so angry! can you call your epu directly? if you make enough of a fuss they may see you earlier.

ScaryHairy Tue 12-Aug-08 10:45:19

I agree that 6 weeks is late for an EPAU to see you.

When I had my ectopic earlier this year, it took them a week to diagnose and treat it, but all of this happened before I was 6 weeks along. And because it was sorted early the hospital was able to fix it medically instead of having to operate which was much better for me.

The Dr giving you a urine test is completely pointless. You need serial blood HCG tests to see if the preg is progressing normally and a scan when your HCG reaches 2000. Your GP may not be aware of all of this - a fair few seem not to be.

FWIW, my GP (well actually the practice nurse) also wanted to do a urine test and claimed I had bled so I must have miscarried. It was when I started shouting that a referral to the EPAU appeared. Can you bear to kick up a stink? It may well be that your pregnancy is fine, by the way. For example, my mother had "periods" in all of her pregnancies, but it is worth getting checked.

cupcakeandtea Tue 12-Aug-08 10:51:12

Hi

The same thing happened to me last month and I ended up going to casualty as I was so worried. I saw the GP there and was referred to the EPU.

When I had the scan there was nothing there so even now I'm not sure if it was a CP or i bled mid-cycle and had a bizarre period.

The impression I got from the nurse who scanned me was that I was wasting their time but a MC is an MC at the end of the day and you deserve to know what's going on.

After a couple of down days I felt ok and we've started TTC again. At least I think I got pregnant so that helps a bit!

AbstractMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 11:13:16

Gah I'm not much of a fuss kicker tbh, I will give the epu a ring see what they say, but I'm sure you need a gp referral.

cupcakeandtea Tue 12-Aug-08 11:19:27

If you're worried, get yourself down to casualty which should have an emergency GP service. You pay national insurance after all!

You don't ahve to make a fuss, just be firm and polite and say you're very worried and you'd like it checking out.

AbstractMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 11:26:36

Well phoned them and you need a gp referal, ho hum.

AbstractMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 11:29:36

Thanks cupcake, do you think it would be sensible to just wait and be vigilant in case of pain or any more bleeding? Really don't want to go to A&E, I can imagine their faces if I say I'm 5+3 and had bleeding a week ago.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 12-Aug-08 15:50:08

AM, with my ep i got my bfp at 14dpo, bled at 18dpo was told i was mc-ing 5d later i was convinced i was still pg so tested and bfp. had a scan 2d later but only because i kicked up such a fuss (they CAN scan you at 5w, they just wont see a hb) and was told that while there was nothing in my uterus (didnt fecking check the tubes) my hcg levels were fine. a week later i bled again so went in for a scan, again i had tokick up a fuss and speak to the cons on duty, my ep ruptured my tube at 6w4d. i dont want to scare you, but this makes me cross, i nearly died (as did many women) because they took their sweet time and if i hadnt kicked up such a fuss then hings could have been vv different

AbstractMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 15:59:50

Did you have any pain leading up to the rupture lissie? Bollocks to it I'll go hand in the urine test tomorrow and see if i can squeeze in to see the female Dr, the least she can do is give me a referal letter to take to the epu, I'm sure it takes a few days to get an appt for a scan so they can book me in for monday, I'll be 6 weeks then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now