Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How soon can I conceive after c-section?

(20 Posts)
Bibiboo Sat 12-Feb-05 12:52:53

Just wondering if anyone knew any reasons I should not conceive for x amount of time after a c-section? And how long should the x amount of time be?
My girl is only 4 months old so I'm not planning another just yet, but my friend's Dr advised her to give her body a year or so rest before thinking about another baby and that was after a vaginal delivery.
My scar has healed but am worried about putting strain on uterus etc. Thought I'd ask wise mumsnetters before watiting 2 weeks for Drs appointment just to ask that!

vict17 Sat 12-Feb-05 13:05:14

I think they recommend you wait a year to let your recover physically but many people don't!

vict17 Sat 12-Feb-05 13:05:43

sorry that should read 'let your body recover - lol

oatcake Sat 12-Feb-05 13:12:14

I think for a c-section, it's preferable to wait 18 months before getting pregant again in case of a uterine rupture.

biglips Sat 12-Feb-05 14:27:24

bibi - just a personal question - my baba is 4 months old too and my scar is healing well but still sore (had a wound infection at the beginning but all cleared up).... is yours really healed up good? (im gonna see the docs on tues)

pickledonion Sat 12-Feb-05 14:48:48

sil got pregnant 3 months after c-section and all was fine.

Bibiboo Sat 12-Feb-05 14:59:52

Hi biglips,
Mine is healing up fine now, but until about 4 weeks ago I still had a hole in the centre of the wound which was weeping after recurring infections, despite keeping wound clean, dry and aired as much as possible. I had about 4 different antibiotics which didn't really work, but then the last Dr I saw gave me antibiotic cream called fucidin which has worked wonders. The wound is no longer weeping or holey, but the skin around it is tender feeling, like I'm bruised. So I'm not 100% healed yet. It is however, looking a whole load better now there'a no hole!
I'd keep going back to the Drs is I was you, they might not be able to do much, but at least you're having peace of mind knowing you're getting it checked. I felt like a total hypochondriac going back and forth to the surgery, but I'm glad I did.

oatcake Sat 12-Feb-05 15:30:04

There is research to suggest that smearing manuka honey on your csection wound helps it heal without the antibiotics because it contains natual antibiotics... will dig it out at some point and post it.

Bibiboo Sat 12-Feb-05 15:34:48

Just found this site which is very informative, so I might be pregnant again soon!

caesarean info

Bibiboo Sat 12-Feb-05 15:35:16

sorry, www.caesarean.org.uk

zippy539 Sat 12-Feb-05 15:36:25

DD was conceived almost exactly a year after DS (c-section) and no one medical ever expressed any concern.

beansprout Sat 12-Feb-05 16:29:55

Hi Bibi - am just hijacking to say how are you? Hope everything is good with you. Please pop into the post-natal Oct thread and let us know how it is all going!!

My scar is still giving me jip. Boo. Am using Lavender oil for the scar. Hurrah!

ChicPea Sat 12-Feb-05 23:17:46

My Ob told me at the 6 week check up post Ceasar to have one period before trying to get pregnant. Had first period when D 3mths old and got preg the following cycle. I wondered if I would feel the scar stretching, etc but felt nothing different to the first pregnancy.

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 23:19:56

I was told to wait at least 1 year.

ionesmum Sat 12-Feb-05 23:54:14

As I understand it, once the scar has healed, that is it - it's healed, and however long you leave it the risks will be the same. So by now you should be okay. The reason that we are recommended to leave a gap of a year or even two is so that we recover in other ways, particularly in terms of our ligaments returning to normal, and also the fact that having a baby is so knackering. I started trying for dd2 when dd1 was 11 mo and concieved when she was 17mo, and had a really achey pregnancy, and the mw said that it was due in part to the fact that my ligaments still hadn't gone back from my first pregnancy.

biglips Sun 13-Feb-05 09:43:50

i used "natural vitamin E-oil" from the holland and barretts for my scar, i used it every shower/bath and my belly and scar feels wonders - like a baba's botty !... ill go back to docs to have a check over

sansouci Mon 14-Feb-05 07:12:35

I thought that it was the scar on the uterus that you need to let heal properly, rather than the skin, which is more or less healed in six weeks.

FairyMum Mon 14-Feb-05 07:32:48

I was told 2 years. My GP thinks it should be 18 months between any pregnancy to let your body recover, but have heard sooo many different opinions.

Marketa Thu 24-Feb-05 10:44:54

I was told 2 years between deliveries, but my uterine scar ruptured when having DS2 after 2 years and 2 months

titchy Thu 24-Feb-05 14:06:26

I was told to try and get at least an 18month gap so that I wouldn't have to carry a non-walking older child aroound - as can't carry anything for 5 weeks after cs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now