Talk

Advanced search

reliability of early pregnancy tests

(13 Posts)
ellpea Fri 01-Aug-08 14:47:04

any advice on using the "first response" pregnancy test? I've just got a negative result from it - 3 days before my period is due. I've got some pregnancy symptoms but they could be stress/PMT. Just want to know so I know whether I can have a few glasses of wine or not this weekend!

MsG Fri 01-Aug-08 14:50:04

Not sure, but I do know my friend who's about to give birth got a negative result the first time she took a test, which was after her period was due. I always err on the side of caution, but I'm a bit too careful I think. xx

ellpea Fri 01-Aug-08 14:54:46

Yes, I suspect the tests are more unreliable than they make themselves out to be.

belgo Fri 01-Aug-08 14:58:30

From what I've seen on mumsnet, early tests (ie;before period is due) are just not reliable.

I would try and forget about it for three or four days, then test again if necessary (I do know how tempting early testing is though!)

I would drink wine while TTC, but I wouldn't get drunk.

elkiedee Fri 01-Aug-08 15:03:30

I suspect reliability depends a lot on your cycle - mine's irregular and on the long side - I tested negative a week after period was due and then positive about a week later. At a scan when I thought I was 11+2 weeks growth indicated that I was only 9+4, and rebooked 12 week scan confirmed the first dating scan.

ellpea Fri 01-Aug-08 15:05:23

Very tempting! I know I should just relax and let things be. I got pregnant with no 1 by accident so didn't have to go through all of this.

belgo Fri 01-Aug-08 15:06:36

When trying to resist the temptation to test early, it helped me to remember that these companies are just out to get our moneygrin

ellpea Fri 01-Aug-08 15:09:17

hmm thanks elkiedee. I got pregnant on day 9 of my cycle last time (it was quite easy to date!). This time, we're trying and so took a much more machine-like approach, having sex every other day over a week or so, so it's more unpredictable. And far less enjoyable! Wish I could just chill out about it but I'm 38 and worrying that time is running out....

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 01-Aug-08 15:11:26

My period usually comes day 28 (ovulate day 14)

so i was testing on day 25,- 30 with negative results,

Then on day 36 I got a BFP, I had ovulated late!

So you may be pregnant just too early for it to show if you ovulated later than usual.

ellpea Fri 01-Aug-08 15:15:05

How are you so sure of your ovulation days? Do you test? I'm wondering whether to start if I'm not pregnant but a bit worried my husband is already hating the military-campaign approach!

MsG Fri 01-Aug-08 15:17:15

I resist the urge to test now because I always think that about the companies being after cash!! It does help. I've sort of made a rule that I won't test unless I am 2 full days late now, as my period sometimes comes later than usual since my miscarriage. Even when I have tested and got a negative result, I have never believed it until I got my period anyway!

I'm not using the Ovulation kits this month...going to try to relax more and see what happens.

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 01-Aug-08 15:17:29

Yes I tested but also looked out for EWCM and cramps, then timed how long it took for period to come after those symptoms.

I didn't realise I had ovulated late that month as I thought we had 'missed the boat' that cycle, just happened to have sex on day 21 when I was ovulating so was chance!

MsG Fri 01-Aug-08 15:18:33

Doing the tests has not been a very positive experience for us so far, but I do know people who have got pregnant using them, ellpea. I think it's maybe a good idea to do for a few months just to know roughly when you do ovulate - I ovulate quite late, it seems, so at least I know that now. xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: