Talk

Advanced search

I don,t know what to think about the fertility clinic or their course of action for me

(9 Posts)
lostittoday Thu 31-Jul-08 21:38:13

Hi
TTc for almost a year and worried about early menopause.
I have had some symptoms which I have attributed to menopause.
Had my appointment at the fertility clininc yesterday and I found out that my fsh which was 16 in April is now 62.
Apart from feeling devastated I am not even sure if I am happy with this clinic as the guy sat there and said my blood results were normal when I could clearly see on my notes which he was holding that my fsh was down as been 62 I then said to him but that isn,t normal is it.
It was me who had to point out to him that a healthy fsh is normally 10 or under.
The main consultant who my appointment was supposed to be with was with anothet patient so this guy was obviously was of his sidekicks.
Anyway after pointing out my high fsh to him he hambled off to find dr Browne the main consultant to seek his opinion on it.
He then came back to me and said that Dr Browne thinks that fsh that high probably means premature ovarian failure, or early menopause and together they devised a plan of action for me which I am just not sure about and if its even worth it.
They want me to take the contraceptive pill for 21 days and then wait and see if I get a period if I do then I probably have ovarian failure, if I don,t get a period then I probably have early menopause and they said that my only hope of having a baby would be by donor egg.
They also want me to have a day 21 progesterone test if I get a period.
The also said they can carry out a laproscopy on the ovaries to confirm menopause.
What do other mumsnetters think about this course of action does it seem odd, would you be happy with this clinic when one of their consultant sits there and says your blood results were normal when you have a fsh like that.

rubles Fri 01-Aug-08 14:33:49

Can't leave this unanswered as you must be in such a turmoil after that appointment and I don't want you to think noone is listening. This must be very difficult to come to terms with.

Personally, no I would not be happy having to point out something so very basic as an elevated fsh level to a consultant. It would throw everything he said into question imo. I don't know if it is possible to get a second opinion? Or would you have to wait weeks again?

Is premature ovarian failure not the same as early menopause?? I know that when I was scaring myself with the idea of having ovarian failure it seemed to be effectively the same and if I were to have IVF it would have been with a donor egg whatever the root cause.
Actually, there is a forum for people having fertility treatment (fertility friends maybe??) that might have people on there with much more experience and help for these kinds of situation, (seeing as the only person who answered from mumsnet is me, and I am not a fat lot of good).

Take care.

shouldbeironing Fri 01-Aug-08 14:52:32

Hello. Can I ask if this is private treatment or funded. If it is private I would go elsewhere and get another opinion as you have lost confidence in them anyway.
I am also not clear on the diff btw ovarian failure and early menopause. Maybe you should see your GP because when I was having initial fertility tests and measuring FSH levels etc the first lot were all done through the GP and I am sure they can test for some menopause related things. Even if you have already been via the GP you could go back to discuss what it all means and try and get more confidence in their suggested treatment.

Sorry this may not be much help as the only part of this I have experienced was the laproscopy which was a minor operation (not cheap) but at least was helpful in confirming what was going on inside me so I am not saying its a bad thing to have one as you dont want to have a lot of other treatment to find later on there was something which meant it was never going to work.

Best of luck with it all whatever happens.

lostittoday Thu 07-Aug-08 17:49:07

This is nhs treatment.

I have had a further knock back since this appointment.
I have been to see an endocrinologist due to various symptoms such as dizzy turns, not sleeping etc.
My doctor referred me has I have thyroid trouble and she thought that maybe it could be down to that.
The woman sat there armed with my results from the fertility clinic and said I have early menopause and its nothing to do with my thyroid all of my results suggest it.
She said I need to go on hrt has I am so young at 37.
I have been crying constantly and I am so depressed I don,t know what to do.
I feel as though I don,t want to live.

Ewe Thu 07-Aug-08 17:53:37

Oh lostit, I am so so sorry for you

Have they explored what your options are now? Is using a donor egg a possibility? Would you and your DH want this?

You must be heartbroken and I can't begin to imagine how it must feel. Really hope someone with some more experience comes along soon.

lostittoday Thu 07-Aug-08 17:58:11

The fertility clinic said if its menopause then my only option would be by donor egg but as far as I know you have to pay for it and there can be waiting lists of up to 2 years.

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 18:06:19

I am so sorry to read this LiT. Do go for a second opinion as well. It's too early to give up.

lostittoday Thu 07-Aug-08 18:14:52

I will go for a second opinion but I know I will probably wait weeks to get into anywhere else.
I have so many thoughts going around in my head they are driving me crazy.
I feel so uncomfortable talking about it with my doctor who is about 8 months pregnant and I seem to be seeing pregnant women everywhere.
I don,t know how I am going to get through this one this is the worst thing of my life.

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 18:23:17

It's summer and easier to see bumps everywhere.

Have you got anyone to talk & cry things through with? It's a tough time. I hope it'll turn out well in the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now