Talk

Advanced search

How long does an LH surge last?

(12 Posts)
eleveld Wed 23-Jul-08 09:16:02

Mine seemed to last only a few hours, is this normal?
Thanks

bethoo Wed 23-Jul-08 09:19:41

i think it is about 24 hours as it occurs before ovulation.
are you testing wiht an ovulation kit?

eleveld Wed 23-Jul-08 09:25:46

yes used a clearblue one yesterday.

got a smiley face for the first time at about 10.30am. did another one (for some reason?) at about 4pm and it had gone?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 23-Jul-08 12:15:17

You can have more than one LH surge!!. LH surges happen throughout the month and can rise and fall accordingly.

The problem with OPK's is that these only assume one LH rise every month. It is certainly not the case also that such a rise is immediately followed by ovulation.

They are on the whole worth avoiding.

bethoo Wed 23-Jul-08 12:16:54

though they worked for me.

bethoo Wed 23-Jul-08 12:17:51

and remember that you may have spiked long before you took the test. so your KH surge may have started the day before youi took the first test.
i hope you are in bed now! grin

WorzselMummage Wed 23-Jul-08 12:23:23

They worked for me too and they work for plently of women.

My surge lasts for between 6 and 12 hous normally.

eleveld Wed 23-Jul-08 13:53:21

Hi

Thanks for your comments. LOL Bethoo, unfortunately not in bed, at work on my computer!

Now I am really confused - i have just done another one and got the smiley face again. So I did one about 10.30am yesterday and it was positive, one about 4pm yesterday and it was negative and one just now (2pm) and it is positive again??!!

What's that all about? I assume it is teh multiple surges Atilla is referring to?

WorzselMummage Wed 23-Jul-08 13:54:50

it may have just been that your urine wasnt as concertrated yesterday afternoon.

eleveld Wed 23-Jul-08 13:56:23

thanks worzsel, that did cross my mind.

think i probably need to drag DP off again tonight don't I?!

WorzselMummage Wed 23-Jul-08 14:07:48

lol yes

get to it grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 23-Jul-08 14:28:54

Now I am really confused - i have just done another one and got the smiley face again. So I did one about 10.30am yesterday and it was positive, one about 4pm yesterday and it was negative and one just now (2pm) and it is positive again??!!

What's that all about? I assume it is the multiple surges Atilla is referring to?

Yes it is. This is also why these kits are so problematic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now