Talk

Advanced search

Conceiving when overweight - welcome your experiences

(39 Posts)
whatchance Wed 16-Jul-08 16:35:39

I know the best answer is to lose the weight first, but anyone had experience of getting pregnant when seriously overweight to start with (around 5 stones).

Would love to hear people's experiences - thanks.

izzybiz Wed 16-Jul-08 16:37:59

I'm overweight by about 4 stone, and got pregnant 3 times, very easily! This time with only one ovary! There is always hope!!

theirmum Wed 16-Jul-08 16:38:43

Hi, I was 18 stone when I got pregnant the first time but he was a happy accident so dont know how and when! I was 20 stone the second time and it too three months of trying my DS2 is 3 months old on the 29th! grin

whatchance Wed 16-Jul-08 16:44:10

Thanks for your stories - it's just you read some horror stories re increased risks etc that I didn't know if I was being mad/stupid to contemplate it.

Did you have any problems during the pregnancies that were weight related? (hope you don't mind me asking).

Playingthe9monthwait Wed 16-Jul-08 16:47:24

I am overweight, not obese but not too far away according to my BMI. I got pg first month of trying. Got a BFP 3 weeks after deciding ttc. So whilst I am not 5 stones overweight I an def carrying more weight than I should.

berolina Wed 16-Jul-08 16:47:27

SIL is very very overweight, not sure exactly how much. She has conceived very easily twice.

<whispers> would still be good to lose the weight though

sfxmum Wed 16-Jul-08 16:52:06

I think it depends if there is an underlying condition like PCOS
also I think I am right in saying that being overweight increases the chances of gestational diabetes and the problems that brings.

I hope you get what you wish for soonsmile

whispywhisp Wed 16-Jul-08 17:03:24

I was overweight when I conceived with my second daughter. I had no problems whatsoever. Good luck. xx

cabbagepatchkid Wed 16-Jul-08 17:11:08

I am the same - about 4 st ovverweight and currently ttc

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 16-Jul-08 17:20:31

Overweight every time (one m/c, one dd, and expecting ds in 11 weeks).

Took 3.5 years to conceive the first time (don't believe that problems were weight related - a combination of other factors), 7 months to conceive dd after the m/c, and 14 months to conceive this time.

With dd I got SPD, but this can happen to anyone.

This time I have gestational diabetes, which does happen to thin people, but much more likely if overweight (I also have family history of it).

Otherwise straightforward pregnancies though.

I lost weight doing Slimming World during last pregnancy, and have lost a little controlling the GD this time.

londonlottie Wed 16-Jul-08 17:30:21

Message withdrawn

theirmum Thu 17-Jul-08 16:39:04

I didnt have any problems either time I was pregnant only the usual back ache which I think I would have got whatever I shouls add that although i was 18 and 20 stone I am 5 foot 11 so its spread out a bit grin oh and I hold my weight on my bum and thighs have small top half (when I say small I mean a size 20)

izzybiz Fri 18-Jul-08 15:33:07

No problems here, blood pressure etc always normal, have to have an extra scan at 34 wks due to high BMI but I dont mind that at all!

greenbeanie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:31:20

whatchance have you tried this website

here

You might find it useful, the general idea is that as long as you do your upmost to keep yourself healthy, eat well, excercise etc. You have every chance of having a health pregnancy and labour. smile

missmama Sun 20-Jul-08 19:55:20

I read somewhere that if you are overweight and trying to conceive, lose some weight, not a lot, not being facesious (eek spelling)but just some as your body will respond more.

My midwife also confirmed this for me as I was saying that everytime I had gotten pregnant I had just lost some weight.
She said that was usually how it happensif you are overweight (She was being polite - I am more than overweight wink)

whatchance Mon 21-Jul-08 12:00:46

Guys

Been off line for the weekend but thanks for all your comments - much appreciated.

Also thanks for the link to the website - brilliant find and I'm having a good trawl through.

I do want to try and lose as much weight as I can first but like Londonlottie I'm in my late 30s and don't want to leave it too late full stop.

Thanks

Puddingirl Mon 21-Jul-08 22:44:26

Hi there whatchaance... I'm 23 stone blush and now 6 weeks pregnant... Took me 2 months to conceive 1st time in March but miscarried at 5 weeks... 3 months later am pregnant again... I started a thread 'please be gentle, obese and pregnant' over on the pregnancy threads and the support and advice from other mumsnetters has been amazing - and real... So far fluid retention in my ankles is a killer but my chiropractor is confident that she will get me through this pregnancy as safely as possible (God willing)... Good luck x I'm 35 in a couple of weeks too...

yellowflowers Mon 21-Jul-08 23:09:39

oh i am so pleased for you - stories like that make me happy and optimistic for myself.x

EyeballsintheSky Mon 21-Jul-08 23:21:30

Can't bear to write how much I weigh - am now a size 20 but was a large 22 when I got pg with dd last year on the first attempt.

I don't know how much weight this carries (no pun intended, honest!) but my BIL is a gp and when I asked him which was more likely to have a negative effect on pg, age or weight, he replied without a doubt age. So I got on with it! Am now 37 btw.

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 22-Jul-08 12:27:37

Hi, I conceived 1st month trying when I had dd a year ago, was about 6 stone overweight according to our lovely bmi scales. Have just started trying again, and I'm hoping it will be as quick this time! I'm the same weight as I was when I was pg first time round. After I had dd I was actually a stone lighter than I was when I conceived. Had a horrible pregnancy though, and vowed I would never be pregnant again while I weighed so much, but on reflection, I think the problems I had are pretty common across the board, and were just normal pregnancy things that I blamed on weight. Good luck! Here's to conceiving quickly for both of us!

yentil Tue 22-Jul-08 15:27:46

i was 28 years old and 18 stone when i concieved dd (within 2 months of TTC); now aged 3. I had GD and a horrid time due to being overweight. I am now 14 1/2 stone (6' tall so BMI quite good) and 32 years old (lost weight to try and avoid GD next time round) feel fit anfd healthy (although battling to stop smoking), but scared of TTC. In fact I haven't started TTC because of my fear of GD. I just don't want to go through it again. also i am so worried about not getting pregnant so quickly again, I have just decided not to try for a while till I get my head around it. sounds confusing doesn't it? but I really don't know what to dosad

cam75 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:34:54

just to say ladies you are inspiration really you are. I have pcos and the dr's keep druming into me i need to lose weight. I have a big arse and thighs my top is small? reading that you ladies have got pg is really good.
The dr's chat s** at times.

wotulookinat Tue 22-Jul-08 15:35:04

I was 19stone. Fell pregnant within 3 weeks of trying - that was the easy part!! The pregnancy was hard due to my weight, and I found that medical staff were very negative. I have had severe PND, which I partly attribute to how I was treated and made to feel. However, my son is now a healthy 21 month old and I am on the mend, so it is a happy ending. We would like another child, but I want to lose a fair bit of weight first.

cam75 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:40:01

wotulookinat.
wow so what size clothes do you wear if your 19 stone?

wotulookinat Tue 22-Jul-08 18:06:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now