Talk

Advanced search

My GP just called to say my pregnancy test was "equivocal"; - what does this mean???

(12 Posts)
blissieblue Wed 16-Jul-08 14:23:07

I know what it means but I'm confused as to why the test might have picked up traces of hcg if I'm not pregnant?

Is there anything else that can give an equivocal pregnancy test result apart from just a very early pregnancy?

gingerninja Wed 16-Jul-08 14:26:17

I've read that fertility drugs, recent miscarriage, menopause could all be a factor in a false positive but i'm not sure how reliable that is

itati Wed 16-Jul-08 14:27:11

Ring the surgery back and ask. It will be the only way you know for sure.

blissieblue Wed 16-Jul-08 14:42:46

I've just googled it - menopause could be a reason. I went to the GP in the first instance because my period was 5 weeks late and 3 home tests were negative. I've had hot flushes and slightly erratic periods since I stopped breast feeding DS2. And extreme tiredness and nausea in the last couple of weeks.
I'm now convinced it's menopause. I've only just had my 35th birthday. I feel sick.

ScaryHairy Wed 16-Jul-08 14:49:09

STOP. DO NOT RELY ON GOOGLE.

Your hormones may well be all over the place if you have stopped breastfeeding recently. Hormones get out of whack for lots of reasons and it does not necessarily mean menopause.

"Equivocal" is a stupid word to describe a pregnancy test. I imagine it could even mean that someone f*cked up the test. Was it blood? If so, I guess he might mean that you have HCG but low levels. All sorts of things could cause this including, for example, very early pregnancy, a failing pregnancy or an early miscarriage.

You say your period is 5 weeks late. Do you know when you ovulated? If not, you simply might be ovulating late this time which happens to everyone once in a while.

WorzselMummage Wed 16-Jul-08 14:59:19

some overian cysts cause women to have HGC in their systems aswell i believe, you could be pregnant, your body could be sorting itsself out after a early failed pregnancy it could be any number of things.

dont use google to diagnose yourself though, no wonder you feel sick.. googles the work of the devil !

gingerninja Wed 16-Jul-08 15:02:41

Oh if you've just stopped bf'ing thats a different story. your hormones will be all over the place.

blissieblue Wed 16-Jul-08 15:20:28

I know, I know and thank you for pointing all that outblush I'm going to step away from my laptop now, have a cup of tea and snuggle up with DS1. The test was a urine test, got blood tests on Friday. All will become clear sooner or later.

ScaryHairy Wed 16-Jul-08 15:34:23

If a urine test was "equivocal" I would say that meant there was a feint line since urine tests are a pretty blunt instrument. I have had a bunch of those over the last few years; one was a viable pregnancy, one was a chem preg and one was ectopic. Yours could be anything at all.
Wait for the blood test results, and don't worry - you certainly cannot detect menopause using a urine HCG test.

blissieblue Fri 25-Jul-08 11:27:45

Ok well I had blood tests done and the results are not good. My FSH is sky high at 63.2, LH is 50.5. I have to have more test in a month or on day 2 if my period starts.

This is such a shock - I am gutted. We are so so lucky to have 2 beautiful DSs especially as DH has low sperm count, but I'm only 35 and really really don't want to be dealing with this right now. If I'm honest I was really hoping to have 3rd DC too.

Seems you can diagnose yourself with google sad

BrightSideOfLife Fri 25-Jul-08 12:32:42

blissieblue, I followed your original thread and just wanted to say that I am soooo sorry about the blood test results.

blissieblue Fri 25-Jul-08 13:34:27

Thanks Bright...I appreciate you posting for me
I could really do with chatting to anyone in a similar situation...if you're out there..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now