Talk

Advanced search

Periods after breastfeeding- how long before you got a "regular" cycle

(3 Posts)
pulapula Mon 14-Jul-08 10:54:22

Hello,

I have been waiting for my periods to return after having DS (now 12 mo) and finally got a period last month. I used to have a regular 28 day cycle. Now on CD29 and after some symptom spotting last week and 3 -ve pregnancy tests, I am wondering whether either my cycle is different now or maybe it is still affected by the BFing (although I have now stopped as of last Thurs).

Is it usual for cycles to be a bit irregular after BF? How long until it settles down in your experience?

RuthChan Mon 14-Jul-08 12:48:22

My situation is a little different because I didn't get my period back at all until after I stopped BFing when DD was about 13 months.

However, it returned about one month after that and was pretty much normal from the start.

I guess that the answer to your question is that yes, your periods can be affected until after you actually stop BFing.
As you only stopped last week, I would have thought that you'll probably find that it gets back to normal within a few weeks.

pulapula Mon 14-Jul-08 15:43:34

Thanks Ruth. With my DD I didn't get periods back til exactly a month after I stopped BF at 8months and they were regular from the off. I had hoped that as they returned last month they might be regular again but guess I should wait and see over the next month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now