Talk

Advanced search

Arghh!! Want to TTC no 2 but smear results taking ageeeeesss!!!!

(14 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Tue 08-Jul-08 15:02:24

Really broody for no 2 but decided the sensible thing would be to get smear and results out of the way in case anything untoward was found (God forbid) and could be sorted etc. Not that I've had bad smears in the past but this was first one in 8 years (was originally due when pg with DS and kept putting it off after he was born, naughty I know!)

However, its been four weeks now and I'm starting to get impatient! They did say it was a 6 week wait but I was kind of hoping that was at its very maximum. Starting to get a bit oh fark it all and not bother waiting...

Help!

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 08-Jul-08 20:47:49

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 08-Jul-08 21:24:45

<invisible emoticon>

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 09-Jul-08 18:22:40

CoteDAzur Wed 09-Jul-08 18:49:02

6 week wait?!?! shock

I had mine on Monday and expect to receive results in the post in 10 days.

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 09-Jul-08 20:21:29

10 days!!! Is that an NHS smear or private?

CoteDAzur Wed 09-Jul-08 20:24:27

I live in France. Here you go to gynecologist of your choice or to any hospital, have it done, then send papers to social security to get 80% of it back.

Doctor said to expect it in the post in 10 days.

What on earth are they going to do with your tissue samples for six weeks??? hmm

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 09-Jul-08 20:33:08

There is a back log apparently..I've called the doctors and she actually said it could be up to 8 weeks...I mean fgs - I want to start ttc!!!

MissKubelik Wed 09-Jul-08 20:38:24

I had my smear last year while I was TTC - I mentioned it to the nurse and she said just to carry on - if any abnormalities came up on the smear they would just monitor it over the next few months anyway, so you might as well keep trying to get pregnant.

so in my non-professional opinion, I would say just get on with it! smile

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 09-Jul-08 20:42:23

Really? I am being too ott but I was having dark thoughts of ttc and getting pg quickly and then the results coming back bad, having to have loads of investigations and then stressing about miscarriage or deciding between the baby and treatment...I KNOW its totally ott...but...

Maybe I think too much grin

CoteDAzur Wed 09-Jul-08 20:55:05

Puss - I would advise you to wait for smear results before TTC only because your last test was 8 years ago.

If you had a good result a year or even two years ago I would have said 'go ahead' but if there is a problem, it may have progressed quite far in eight years and doctor may have to take action immediately.

Some years ago, I had a bad smear result and an operation that cut a chunk of my cervix as a result. I hadn't had a smear test in 4 years and had 'CIN III' abnormalities (the step before 'cancer in situ').

I don't mean to scare you, but 8 years is a long time and you should probably wait just until you receive the all-clear to TTC.

MissKubelik Thu 10-Jul-08 13:27:07

eek well I hadn't had a smear in 7 years and the nurse gave me the go-ahead.

I didn't get pregnant for another year though so everything worked out for the best.

Probably best to wait anyway if all you're going to do is worry until you get the result! smile

CoteDAzur Thu 10-Jul-08 14:10:30

shock at that nurse.

PussinJimmyChoos Sat 26-Jul-08 22:40:38

Would you believe this - still no smear results!! Deadline of 6 weeks was this Wed just gone so I rang the drs up. They chased the results and said to call back in another 2 weeks...I'm due to ovulate next Sat...am so cheesed off!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now