Talk

Advanced search

Egg donation

(7 Posts)
allyspice Fri 04-Jul-08 13:17:13

I don't think I'm going to have any more kids (DD now 2.5) for various reasons, but recently have started to think about donating my eggs. Not sure exactly how to go about this & don't know anyone who has done this so not sure of what this actually means for DH, DCs.

Also have heard hints that the whole process is "uncomfortable", but what does that actually mean?

swerve Fri 04-Jul-08 14:32:20

are you under 35? that's usually the cut off age. Take a look at human fertility & embryology authority website http://www.hfea.gov.uk/. they have a donor's section.

sleepycat Fri 04-Jul-08 14:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allyspice Fri 04-Jul-08 14:52:44

Thanks Swerve, just had a look & seems to be lots of good info there.

I'm pretty convinced it's something I want to do (I'm 32). Just worrying about the poss impact on, well, everyone.smile

And also not big on pain!

stuarts Sat 05-Jul-08 13:51:44

Hi

Having just been told last week that I can't have IVF unless I provide a donor egg I think what you are thinking of doing is fantastic.

It could make the world of difference to another woman someday

madcows Mon 07-Jul-08 10:43:10

Hi there,
I have been an egg donor (but known - for my sister). I found the whole process remarkably easy. I had one day of side effects from the drugs, and then I needed a day or so to recover from the anasthetic after collection. But painless, and not even uncomfortable. You have to have q a few blood tests, and scans (internal), but nothing to worry about. Also you have to give yourself injections, but I found these very easy. It was well worth it - and my sister is now pregnant!
For altrusitc donation there are various questions you need to consider - how would you and your children feel if someone turned up 18 years down the line etc etc.
You can find out more on the fertilityfriends website. They have a thread re donation. I post there under the name c l u c k c l u c k - and have written a diary about it.
Good luck with your decision. It is a great thing to do for someone you don't know!
madcows

sars87 Sun 20-Jul-08 10:42:22

I think what you are doing is amazing. I would love to donate but not possible for me. We have however, decided that once our fmaily is complete that I want to be a host surrogate. Good luck. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now