Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know a bit about pregnancy rate from withdrawl method?

(38 Posts)
Mawma Tue 01-Jul-08 14:12:19

Cut long story short, Dh and i have used withdrawal for 5yrs since our dd was born and never had any problems. I've not been too well over last few weeks just really tired and sore heads we have had a lot on, kids birthdays and a weekend at alton towers all very tiring. Now this morn after painting dd's room i realise i had my last period i think was on tues 20th may or could even have been the week before. I'm now really panicking at thought of explaining to dh that i'm late, i'm usually quite reg maybe every 32-35days, is this quite a long cycle?

Anyone ever been this late and not preg?

EffiePerine Tue 01-Jul-08 14:13:46

take a test

Romy7 Tue 01-Jul-08 14:13:58

i got pg.
no idea on rates though - it didn't seem necessary to find out as there was v little doubt what had caused it!

itati Tue 01-Jul-08 14:14:01

I would say plenty of people have been late and not pregnant.

Why not do a test?

I also think the rate to withdrawl method against unplanned pregnancies is irrelevant as it could be 1 bonk in 3000 but you could have that 1.

I hope it works out the way you want it.

My advice woul dbe to do a test and go from there.

Good luck.

Mawma Tue 01-Jul-08 14:18:27

thats the thing i didn't want to waste money on test if i'm just late, although never been this late before, just had so much on i'm thinking my body is doig too muc

itati Tue 01-Jul-08 14:20:09

The pound shop sell tests.

JamInMyWellies Tue 01-Jul-08 14:20:19

Well I have a DS 13mth and am pregnant again. We used withdrawl. Go get a test to be sure.

lulumama Tue 01-Jul-08 14:21:56

do you use any other natural family planning methods to avoid fertile times?

withdrawal is not reliable as sperm is released before the man ejaculates.....

you need to test, especially if being pregnant is not something you want

a chemist might well be able to do a test for you, call some local chemists

TotalChaos Tue 01-Jul-08 14:21:58

I think that withdrawal rate is about 75% effective, whereas say pill is 99% effect - so that 25 out of 100 women using withdrawal for a year would get PG in a year.

I think you should do a test asap.

beaniesteve Tue 01-Jul-08 14:23:50

Tesco and Asda and Sainsbury sell them for about £4, Wilkinsons (if you have one) sell them for a pound.

DarrellRivers Tue 01-Jul-08 14:24:36

savers sell them for £1

oops Tue 01-Jul-08 14:48:45

Message withdrawn

jumpingbeans Tue 01-Jul-08 14:49:47

I have two very good reasons for believing it don't work

TinkerbellesMum Tue 01-Jul-08 14:58:16

Mawma, Boots do free tests and doctors use the £1 shop tests, so don't worry about buying an expensive variety.

Withdrawal isn't 100% because men release some sperm before they ejaculate and if he ejaculates anywhere near you there it can still get to you (how virgins get pregnant fooling around).

Mawma Tue 01-Jul-08 15:48:10

oh dear not looking goog for me is it. I have a savers near me so can get cheap test tommorow, never knew boots did free test, i used clear blue with my ds & dd but they cost a fortune, i honestly did'nt think that there was many people got pregnant using this method, we use no other method just withdrawal and have done for years having the 2 kids when we wanted, although did take us 18m to get preg second time, now this scare, if i am, i've been on rollercoasters, drunk several times, in the sauna, fell off a chair at the weekend while at a hen party, the list goes on

hanaflowerisnothana Tue 01-Jul-08 15:50:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mawma Tue 01-Jul-08 15:53:52

true

lulumama Tue 01-Jul-08 16:11:36

if you are not pregnant this time, then it might well be time to consider proper contraception.

i.e natural family planning

pill

condoms

coil

etc....

TinkerbellesMum Tue 01-Jul-08 16:15:43

Just did a quick Google search, I've found the failure rate quoted at 19%. Not sure if that just includes it being used well or whether it includes the inexperienced too.

Mawma Tue 01-Jul-08 16:17:19

can't do pill or condoms but dh will be off for the snip me thinks, thats quite a bit 19%

KelaH Tue 01-Jul-08 16:28:29

I used it. DD is 5 months old. Stupid thing is, we are still using it blush

lulumama Tue 01-Jul-08 16:29:54

you need to use something in the meantime and after the snip until he has had two clear tests...

have you considered a non hormone coil ?

itati Tue 01-Jul-08 16:38:31

Why are you blush KelaH? You clearly would like another baby.

KelaH Tue 01-Jul-08 16:44:01

Well, do want one at some point, just not right now, am blush coz we should be more careful but tbh don't do the deed often enough for it to be a big issue hmm

itati Tue 01-Jul-08 16:44:31

It only takes one time............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now