Talk

Advanced search

do I try for a baby tonight?

(31 Posts)
valentine Wed 26-Jan-05 20:11:21

I am TTC a girl (have 2 boys)and i have had sex with DH up until the day before ovulation. Tonight is the end of the 48 hour "ovulation period" - can we have sex or would that ruin the theory that when you are TTC a girl, you have sex up to ovulation and then you stop. ie. can we have sex AFTER ovulation?

janeybops Wed 26-Jan-05 20:32:28

No idea but as a mother of boy and girl. with dd the month i concieved we did it every night for a month (don't ask!) with ds we did it every night during my fertile period - so before and after ovulation!

By the way boys are easier imo!

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 20:34:59

i have 2 girls and they were both conceived a few days after my period had finished. wasnt intentionally though, but i did notice a co-incidence

does that help?

pinkdiamond Wed 26-Jan-05 20:36:07

Message withdrawn

pinkdiamond Wed 26-Jan-05 20:37:01

Message withdrawn

valentine Wed 26-Jan-05 21:06:24

maybe to be on the safe side I shouldn't have sex tonight?!
Can't imagine doung it every night for a month!! My DH would point blank refuse!!

kernowcat Wed 26-Jan-05 21:09:35

But Desperate Housewives will be on soon!!!!!!!!!!

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 21:14:20

I wouldnt (this is from a fellow 2DS's pregnant with no.3 and ttc a girl - waiting for my 20 wk scan to find out if it worked!) I would wait a good few days unless you know you are *definately past your ovulation period. How did you detect ovulation - or the lead up??? Had you been temping?

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 21:19:30

Just bumping this as i am really interested to see how your methods compared to mine!

valentine Wed 26-Jan-05 21:34:14

I used the clearblue ovulation test and had sex 5 times from day 8-13, then on day 15 the test showed that i was ovulating (or that my most fertile 48 hours had arrived)so Ihavent had sex since - it is nw 2.5 days since the test result..not sure whether to abstain (!) or to go for the other theory which is to have sex AFTER ovulation...either way i am watching desperate housewives! what was your method?

valentine Wed 26-Jan-05 21:35:09

by the way what is temping?

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 21:39:56

Temping - taking your temperature for a couple of months and note the temperature rise (when you ovulate)
Well - we did it ever other day from when my AF ended until about 4 days before i thought i ovulated. THen i read that a few days before ovulation you get "egg - white" looking stretchy cervical mucus (sorry for TMI!!!) a week after i thought i ovulated i got this mucus stuff - so we did the deed then and then not again for the rest of the month - i may have ruined the system if the mucus stuff comes literally just before you ovulate - anyway its out of my hands now!!! I am 18 weeks pregnant!!!!

valentine Wed 26-Jan-05 21:43:08

v difficult to know! Did you do anything else like change your diet?(have heard something about eating more dairy to get a girl..) - personally i havent done that..

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 21:52:46

no i didnt change my diet - didnt beleive in that really. The only really sad thing i did was to try in the month that the chinese gender chart predicted a girl for me!!!. It acurately predicted my 2 DS's so i thought it was worth a try. I have heard so many contrasting opinions on all the methods that i am inclined to beleive it is luck - but hey - worth a try. The timing thing makes the most sense to me though

Catbert Wed 26-Jan-05 21:54:48

I conceived DD1 when my Persona told me I was ovulating (i've never known like some people do) and used the machine for two years, so it definately had my cycle down to a fine art, as we used it for contraception, and then decided to TTC so made love the first day the "o" symbol came up (it would show the "o" for three days a month). Got an implantation bleed 3 days later and tested + four weeks later! (1 week after I got married!) Cripes!

Not sure if that helps? I always wanted girls and now have 2 - but who knows? DD2 was a complete mystery as I had a completely thrown out cycle!

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 21:57:14

I know people who have conceived girls bang on OV - so who knows!!
The other thing we did was the "lots of sex" to bring the sperm count down - favouring girls apparently!!! We did it about 8 times that month (a lot for us!) In the month that DS's were conceived we only did it once in the whole month

Gillian76 Wed 26-Jan-05 21:59:19

SOrry to sound naive, but I never knew there were methods to TTC a boy or girl. We have 2DDs and a DS. I am dying for another one, but don;t want DS stuck with 3 girls. All his cousins are girls too!

Wish I'd paid attention to how we'd conceived before!

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 22:00:17

Gillian - do it bang on Ovulation for a boy

Gillian76 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:03:50

Guess I'll have to dig that thermometer out Tessiebear

HunkerMunker Wed 26-Jan-05 22:07:06

I conceived DS on the day I ovulated (I know I ovulated because I was having follicle tracking after having clomid...I saw the egg on the scan!!!). Was also coincidentally my birthday

Gillian76 Wed 26-Jan-05 22:12:47

I would be a bit scared of doing all the "right" stuff and then being disappointed with the result if it went the other way, IYSWIM.

Sounds very tempting though!

jessicasmummy Wed 26-Jan-05 22:13:51

YES YES YES YES.... i know i will be

bubble99 Thu 27-Jan-05 09:07:57

Valentine, just read your earlier post as " ...had sex five times a day from day 8 - 13!". Was about to 'phone the 'Guiness Book of Records' - 'til I re-read it

expatinscotland Thu 27-Jan-05 09:10:08

I conceived a girl and it was deffo a day before I ovulated. I actually knew on that day that we'd got a baby.

Sallie Thu 27-Jan-05 12:30:06

...at the end of the day, your chances are 50/50 although I was told that if you have already had two of one sex, you are more likely to have that sex child again. Having said that, there are always people who disprove those theories. Apparently there is scientific proof that some women's bodies are conditioned to only conceive a certain sex....apparently!
Anyway, best of luck. Just go for it and see. With ds we had sex a few days before ov and with dd on and after ov so that's against the whole gender choosing stuff....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now