Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Atkins diet - did it help with conception??

(5 Posts)
charleypops Tue 04-Jan-05 21:48:12

Hi

I've been wondering about this for some time - since September actually when I finally conceived.

My partner and I had been ttc for about 3 years. First couple of years, we just didn't use contraception, then we started seriously trying for just over a year (by seriously I mean using ovulation sticks, calendar watching, breaking off from work to have sex, getting really stressed/disappointed/hopeless etc). He had a sperm analysis with the result that it was quite low and the sperm were not particularly mobile.

My partner was about 2.5 stone overweight at this point. At the end of May he decided to do the Atkins diet. By September he'd lost about 2 stone and had began running. That's when we got pregnant. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar - if the Atkins diet might have had anything to do with this - maybe the high protein helped? Is this a ridiculous idea?

singsong Wed 05-Jan-05 13:44:45

Could be that the general improvement in his health and weight helped. Congrats on the preg.

Slink Wed 05-Jan-05 14:02:04

I have no idea (i did it for two weeks after dd was born though great) but we have been trying for two yrs, and think i may get dh to start that now.... He is not over weight but over belly... CONGRATULATION ON YOUR PG XXXXXXXXXXXX

MancMum Wed 05-Jan-05 14:11:32

well not atkins, but we got pregnant after 18 months TTC 1 month after dh gave up drinking 10 cups of coffee a day at work.... I do think there must be a link between lifestyle and conception..

charleypops Wed 05-Jan-05 17:26:31

Thanks everyone - he he Slink - good luck!! Mancmum - dp stopped drinking coffee when he started the Atkins too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now