Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Blocked tubes help advice needed

(13 Posts)
Tania2 Thu 16-Dec-04 12:26:16

Hi girls just wondering if anyone out there has had a laperoscapy done and have found out they have very badly blocked tubes.
I have been ttc for a year now and yesterday i finally had a laperoscapy done and the dr found that my tubes are so blocked that he couldnt even get the dye through. he mentioned something about a ultrasound and more surgery but i had just come out of my op and was just too upset at hearing that he couldnt unblock my tubes he was meant to call me today to explain but never did (iam in australia so its 11:30pm here) now i just dont know what to expect. i was so hoping that after the op i would fall pg after a good clean out so to speak.
So i am wondering if anyone out there has had a simimar experience and could tell me what happens next and if they have a success story.
Please anyone!!!!
Tania

MINNIE1 Thu 16-Dec-04 16:13:14

Tania,
I was looking through the web and i found a story..

I just wanted to add my story in hopes that it will make some of you feel better. I went in for my HSG and the Dr. performing the procedure found that both my tubes were completely blocked. Because I was able to withstand the pain, he continued to push the fluid until it made it's way through. This had to be the most painful thing I have ever experienced, but he got through my left tube and most of my right one. In the end it was well worth it and my husband and I got pregnant right away! They say the best time to try is right after your tubes are cleared. Best of luck to all you. My thoughts are with you.

I have never had my tubes checked but its interesting and i would like to find out more so any chance i have i'll have a look on the web and let you know.. It seems the laperoscapy may have to be done again to clear the tubes.. Please don't quote me on this..
Hope your feeling better..

Tania2 Thu 16-Dec-04 21:33:47

Thanks Minnie,
What is a HSG would that be my next proceedure?
Glad to hear that you had success after the suffering that you went through. When i looked on the internet it said that blocked tubes can be very painful were you in pain b4 the proceedure? Cause i really dont have much pain since having my ds 2 years ago.

Tania2 Fri 17-Dec-04 04:20:44

Minnie,
Were you ever told what causes blocked tubes???
Dr has just told me that it is only caused by an infection caused by sexually trasmitted diseases. As far as i know i have never had anything.

MINNIE1 Fri 17-Dec-04 08:41:14

Tania,
Sorry for my misleading post, I was looking up the web to see if i could find any info on Blocked tubes, (For all i know i could have the same. cause i'm ttc for so long) The story in the middle is one i found on the web... Her tubes were cleared and i just wanted to show you it can happen...
I'll stay looking for you today and when you wake in the morning hopfully i will have loads of info..
I don't know i a std would cause B/Ts, but i'll be back to you on it..
chin up pet its not over yet...
Minnie1

Tania2 Fri 17-Dec-04 11:24:06

Sorry minnie i must have read it the wrong way. If you look on the ttc thread 16 it explains what my dr said to me today. I have been trying to look on the internet about it and every time ivf comes up. I really dont want to have to go through that $$$$$ just cant possibly afford it
Thank you for looking it up for me you might come across something different as my sister found different things to me too.

kiwicath Sun 19-Dec-04 12:15:09

Hi Tania. We'd been ttc for ages. Finally went to have a hysterosalpingography (the dye thingy) and found that my tubes where totally blocked with scar tissue due to endo. Don't want to scare you but IT HURT LIKE HELL!!!!! due to the blockage. Had lap where she went in thru tummy button, left side and just above bikini line and chopped, lasered and sucked it all away (have a souvenier video - very interesting!!??) She fitted a coil for three months so tubes would stay open and I had time to heal. Coil out, 1st month I screwed dates up so no luck, 2nd month got our act together and BINGO!!! Baby boy having 1st birthday day after tomorrow . I felt very sorry for myself at the time of my ops and wondered why something as natural as getting preggers should be such a battle. I had all my surgery (and babe) in Cairo so not sure of the procedures in Auz. Chin up my dear. Many many success stories out there. Good luck and keep in touch XXX.

testtubebaby Mon 20-Dec-04 14:57:03

Hi Tania, I too discovered both my tubes were badly blocked with no clues as to why, apparently no sign of infection. Sorry, no real help as the hospital I was at in the UK has a policy of straight to ivf in these cases, I think because the chance of clearing the tubes effectively is low - but was in shock when told me this so not 100% sure of this.

Also I was told the dye thing (where you are awake) was the first option of investigation and that tubes can spasm and appear blocked under this proceedure which would mean a laproscopy would be necessary anyway, so I went for the lap option first to speed things up. Hopefully this means that you, too, at least have the best possible picture to decide how to proceed.

I did go through ivf and have been soooo lucky have a fabulous dd and am now pg with no2. Best of luck with whatever happens, it is very shocking to receive this news, especially when all around you appear to be getting pg at the drop of a hat. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. Fingers crossed

Christie Mon 20-Dec-04 20:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tania2 Tue 21-Dec-04 02:36:32

Thank you so much girls. Iam meeting with my gyno on Thursday he is going to book me in for a levervist which is the ultrasound with the dye already had the laperoscapy and HSG (dye thingy) and dr said that my tubes could have been spasming i rang the womens hospital re the levervist and the ultrasound tech did tell me that it does hurt it feels like really really bad period cramps ouch. really hoping that she can force the dye through hopefully i can withstand the pain been reading up on IVF and the costs. We always thought we would have to do IVF cause when i was 18 my gyno at the time told me i would need help getting pg so my ds was a pleasent suprise never thought of IVF again till now. Spoke to my GP the other day and he said that having an op to clear my tubes could be a waste of time cause it can damage the hair folicals in the tubes that help push the eggs along.
testtubebaby congratulations on having success with IVF did it take you long?
kiwicath happy birthday to you ds. Have you started to ttc again yet?
Christie my gyno couldnt even get the dye through!

testtubebaby Tue 21-Dec-04 13:35:08

Thanks Tania2. We were incredibly lucky and whispers conceived on the first cycle. No2 is from an embryo frozen from that cycle too. Feel a bit nervous talking about it as I know so many people go through many cycles for no apparent reason. We are far from blase about it and count our blessings daily - but want you to know that there is hope. Good luck with the levervist and hope it works for you.

Christie Tue 21-Dec-04 13:55:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tania2 Tue 21-Dec-04 21:39:49

Thank you girls. I will keep in touch and let you know how i go.
lol Tania
xxxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: