Talk

Advanced search

periods after dianette

(11 Posts)
julesie Sun 23-Dec-07 13:48:34

I was on dianette for about 11 years. I came off it at the end of august and havent had a period since. My GP has sent me for bloodtests which are all normal. Although I am not underweight (5 foot 3 and about 7 stone 5 pounds) I am pretty slim but GP said this was fine. I am going to try for a baby in February. Just wondered if anyone had had similar problems after dianette or if they could recommend any alternative remedies that might help my cycle back to normal.

cityangel Sun 23-Dec-07 16:28:00

My periods came back as expected after a similar amount of time on Dianette . After 15 months of trying and nothing happening we are now pregnant. Its good that you've seen a GP I hope your periods start soon. Good luck, I hope others can offer advice

galaxymummy Sun 23-Dec-07 16:37:33

go to foresight website may not help with periods but is good for preconception perhaps acupuncture or homeopath
dont fret until 12 months
dianette is great for skin, I assume that why you took it but is VERY potent high risk dvt etc hopefully you will conceive in 2008 and then I would suggest yasmin as good alternative.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Dec-07 17:24:01

julesie

Dianette has anti androgenic properties and is often given to women who present with adult onset acne. A common cause for this acne is a condition called polycystic ovaries or its related syndrome PCOS. PCO may well be the reason as why your periods have not returned (such causes are often hormonal in nature). Another possible reason for this is thyroid imbalance - your thyroid levels should be tested as well.

I would also think that your GP missed something with regards to the blood test results - were your levels of LH and FSH compared?. If this was not done the test is meaningless. Also was your testosterone level looked at?. If not this should have been done too. Not all GPs are aware when it comes to PCO. You ought to have an internal ultrasound scan done too to see what your ovaries look like. Polycystic ovaries have multiple cystic follicles on them; these stop ovulation from occuring and can cause irregular periods.

PCO can be treated but you may need a gynae referral - this is not going to go away.

Remaining within the correct weight for your height is important as if the underlying cause is PCO, excess pounds can exacerbate symptoms.

If your periods continue to remain irregular over the next 2-3 months I would return to your GP and ask for a referral to a gynae. Irregular periods are themselves a good reason to be seen sooner rather than later.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost as something is causing this to arise.

Verity's website is good and has lots of information on it - www.verity-pcos.org.uk

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Dec-07 17:24:02

julesie

Dianette has anti androgenic properties and is often given to women who present with adult onset acne. A common cause for this acne is a condition called polycystic ovaries or its related syndrome PCOS. PCO may well be the reason as why your periods have not returned (such causes are often hormonal in nature). Another possible reason for this is thyroid imbalance - your thyroid levels should be tested as well.

I would also think that your GP missed something with regards to the blood test results - were your levels of LH and FSH compared?. If this was not done the test is meaningless. Also was your testosterone level looked at?. If not this should have been done too. Not all GPs are aware when it comes to PCO. You ought to have an internal ultrasound scan done too to see what your ovaries look like. Polycystic ovaries have multiple cystic follicles on them; these stop ovulation from occuring and can cause irregular periods.

PCO can be treated but you may need a gynae referral - this is not going to go away.

Remaining within the correct weight for your height is important as if the underlying cause is PCO, excess pounds can exacerbate symptoms.

If your periods continue to remain irregular over the next 2-3 months I would return to your GP and ask for a referral to a gynae. Irregular periods are themselves a good reason to be seen sooner rather than later.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost as something is causing this to arise.

Verity's website is good and has lots of information on it - www.verity-pcos.org.uk

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 23-Dec-07 17:24:20

Sorry for repeat post!.

gemmie1 Thu 17-Jan-08 21:04:29

Hiya,

i too went on Dianette last january after having high blood pressure etc on microgynan.
I got married last may and came off the pill in August. Started ttc in sept but no luck so far. cant understand as i am one of five girls,my whole family is fertile ! becoming fed up,not to metion broke with all the money spent on tests !!!!
Have had irregular/light periods, october and sept on 30 days then nothing nov, then one in dec, and nothing again. keep getting my hopes then have a negative test ! GP wont do anything as we are young and healty and not been trying long enough! she just said irregular period could be me psycologically hoping so much i stop them coming !!!
Anyone know of anything that can help cycle get back to normal.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 18-Jan-08 11:16:03

Hi gemmie,

Hi

Re your comments:-

"Have had irregular/light periods, october and sept on 30 days then nothing nov, then one in dec, and nothing again. keep getting my hopes then have a negative test ! GP wont do anything as we are young and healty and not been trying long enough! she just said irregular period could be me psycologically hoping so much i stop them coming !!!"

Your GP is talking absolute rot. You need to see another GP if there is one at your practice and get referred. At the very least you should have a blood test done to see what your hormone levels are like. This should be done as a matter of course. Irregular periods like this are often caused by hormonal imbalances - in this regard a condition called polycystic ovaries or its related syndrome PCOS are common culprits. I note as well you were previously taking Dianette (that has anti androgenic properties) - again often given to women who actually have PCO.

You need first and foremost a diagnosis of the underlying problem and you will need to be persistant in order to get answers.

Would be extremely wary of using anything herbal like Agnus castus prior to any diagnosis as that can make any underlying hormonal imbalance worse.

gemmie1 Fri 18-Jan-08 13:39:46

HI Attiliathemeerkat.

I have never had the problem of irregular periods,was always like clockwork. Went on dianette as was getting a few spots etc and a friend reccomended it as they were put on for the same problem.
Could this just be something that will correct itself and my periods will go back to normal as i never had a problem before ?
Gemmie

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 18-Jan-08 14:16:11

Hi Gemmie

Well it may do but would suggest you keep an eye on your cycle for the next three months. If periods change in terms of pain or length of cycle it is wise to seek medical advice sooner rather than later.

nattie84 Sun 04-Oct-09 17:42:26

hi there
my cousin has just come off dianette about 2 months ago, she has had irregular bleeding since. she has been on and off for the past 9 days and she has no pain either and she isnt due on for about a week. she has bled three times after sex and has taken a pregnancy test which come back negative. is this her body getting back to pre dianette state? has anyone else had these problems after coming off it?

kind regards x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now