Talk

Advanced search

PMDD and TTC

(6 Posts)
Leavingitlate Sun 01-Nov-20 13:40:14

Anyone else gone through lengthy TTC with PMDD? I've been treated at a private clinic in London and the doctor there has had me on Estrogel and progesterone for the past 5 years to control the deep and irrational depression that I would get for 7-9 days a month during my period.

Unfortunately, the Estrogel and progesterone can have a slight contraceptive effect which can make TTC take longer. We tried TTC initially with me still taking both, but after 3 months of no success, I went off both to increase our chances.

Four months later and still no success (not exactly surprising given I am 36 and DH is 42), but my god, it is difficult to no longer be on medication that stopped me having extremely poor mental health during my period. I think it's disappointing for anyone during ttc when their period arrives, but very, very testing when you have a PMDD (where your period can give you irrational suicidal thoughts) .

Interested to hear from others who had a similar issue (perhaps coming off antidepressants to ttc) and how you coped.

OP’s posts: |
PurBal Sun 01-Nov-20 13:47:48

I have PMDD. And I use Everol 100. Only on 3 cycle so can't say it's been a long TTC process so far. I also have PCO. My gynaecologist was clear that I hormones can disrupt ovulation so I have to be very careful not to use my medication until post ovulation. I track my cycles and wait until 2 days post ovulation before any medication. I don't know if this helps. But I wanted you to know you're not alone.

PurBal Sun 01-Nov-20 13:49:56

I should add, I don't know how I'll feel another few months from now. But the idea of being off medication isn't something I can contemplate. Sending big hugs, it must be hard.

Stabal Sun 01-Nov-20 13:57:46

@Leavingitlate hi there. Fellow PMDD and PCOS sufferer here. It's also been a long journey for me too. We were TTC for just over 2 years before finally falling pregnant and then it ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks in May. It's a really horrid thing to go through normally but when you add something like PMDD it can be catastrophic, especially when it happened during a pandemic so mental health services were non existent. Like PP I also don't feel I could come off medication but my GP lowered it whilst pregnant. Sorry I can't offer a positive success story but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone 💕

Leavingitlate Sun 01-Nov-20 13:57:59

@PurBal, thanks that's really interesting and helpful. I hadn't considered just using the Estrogel post ovulation.

I may ask the gynecologist who has been treating me if this is an option, as I don't think I (or DH) can cope with my mood during another unmedicated period.

OP’s posts: |
Idreamof2more Tue 03-Nov-20 08:00:09

Hi ladies, may I ask what clinics you used for pmdd. My go is useless x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in