Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed!!

(3 Posts)
jmaepride Mon 28-Sep-20 20:09:38

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post but will give it a go.

I’m 21 years old, and I’ve had periods since the age of 10. Always been extremely heavy and extremely painful. When I was 16 I was put on the mini pill for 3 months until they could book an appointment for me to have the implant. The aim was to make my periods regular and give me a pattern as well as help them settle down.
The implant was the worst 3 years of my life, my mental health took a turn, but they told me that the second time having the implant it should settle down. So I had it replaced, and then requested to have it removed a year later as I couldn’t deal with it anymore.
I went months without having a period, and then months of having a period, always having it really heavy and always in a lot of pain.
They put me on microgynon and told me to persevere as it would take a while to get into my system, hoping that it would regulate my periods. I have tried it with a 7 day break, a 3 day break, and no break. I was bleeding every single day, and always in a lot of pain.
They have now in the last year prescribed me with Provera that I take once a day every day, since taking it the bleeding has stopped and so has all the pain, but they are telling me that this is not a long term solution due to my family history (my mum and sister both diagnosed with PCOS, my nan had breast cancer twice and my great nan had ovarian cancer).
I have chased for tests to see if there is something wrong only to be told that it’s ‘how my body reacts to hormones unfortunately’.
I’m now being referred to have the marina coil fitted as a long term solution, however I’m petrified I will catch pregnant as I know a number of people who have caught on the coil, and I’m also really scared that it will set me back to the beginning where I was in constant pain and constant bleeding.

Can anyone give me some advice? Do I take a chance on the coil? Or do I keep pushing to stay on what I am on for now until I’m forced to change??

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Tempusfudgeit Mon 28-Sep-20 20:14:05

No contraception is 100% effective, but you can use two methods simultaneously - condom, cap, withdrawal along with your coil.

jmaepride Mon 28-Sep-20 20:22:58

we have tried condoms but every time we use them they break, even tried bigger sizes and with lubricants.. they've said they are happy to keep me on my pill for the first 6 months of the coil while it settles but not sure if theres anything I can take more permantantly along side? they keep drilling into me that the microgynon i'm on I cant be on long term, but they never tell me how long that is.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in