Talk

Advanced search

Just found out I have PCOS

(3 Posts)
Jaybird3040 Mon 14-Sep-20 19:51:38

so I have just found out today I have PCOS, can anyone give advice on how this has affected their fertility and if anything has helped them to concieve. Wasnt really expecting to be told this so feeling a bit deflated. Tia

OP’s posts: |
singleandttc Mon 14-Sep-20 21:27:32

Hey, I have pcos. It's a scary diagnosis but not necessarily as bad as you think it might be.

Are your periods regular? Do you track your cycle to check ovulation? Temping is best as opks can be high almost constantly in pcos.

When I was trying for my first I came off the pill and the weight piled on despite no lifestyle change, then my periods just stopped. I eventually got to the fertility clinic who told me to lose weight. They said if you're even a little overweight losing 10% of your body weight can really help. It's harder to lose weight but I did intermittent fasting and it worked great. I was 9% lighter and pregnant three months later. The diet worked amazingly. This time I'm slimmer than I was so my periods have been fine and I've just got my bfp on cycle one.

It might be harder to get pregnant naturally for some women but it is possible. And if you struggle there's medications to help ovulation and then IVF too.

BikeTyson Mon 14-Sep-20 21:35:02

I have PCOS. I was referred to the fertility clinic by the GP after 6 months ttc, had various scans and day 21 blood tests for a few months for them to establish that I wasn’t ovulating. I was prescribed clomid to induce ovulation and got pregnant on my 6th cycle.

In the background I was losing weight and exercising more - it never made much difference symptom or cycle-wise for me but obviously it’s good to be as healthy as you can before pregnancy if possible anyway so it wasn’t a wasted effort.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in