Talk

Advanced search

Doing IVF and thinking of donating eggs in the process!

(2 Posts)
Whilewetry123 Thu 23-Jul-20 14:44:13

Hello everyone, I’m new here so please bare with!
After 2 years me and my partner have been told we will need to use IVF/ICSI to have a child, and I’m very drawn towards the idea of donating eggs (Per round of treatment) to a couple in need whilst we go through this. Our problem is male factor infertility and as I am a fit and healthy 27 year old I think it would be an amazing experience to help someone start a family. I know all too well how scary the future can seem with fertility problems, and I feel I simply cannot turn my back on that. I’ve researched heavily into this and feel confident with my decision, it would just be great to hear from people who have done the same. The only question I can’t seem to find an answer to is, would the recipient of my eggs live in the same city as me? I know you don’t find out who they are etc but I’d just be intrigued to know how that works!
Hope you can help smile

OP’s posts: |
HavelockVetinari Thu 23-Jul-20 14:49:35

I'm assuming it's through the usual deal where the recipient pays your costs in exchange for half the eggs collected? In that case, you'll need to discuss all of this with the clinic, since some may do things differently to others. Don't forget that anonymous donation is no longer allowed, so you might get contacted by any child born of your eggs once they turn 18.

It can be a really positive experience, but make sure you fully understand all the ins and outs, and think about how you might feel if the other couple is successful and you aren't. Best of luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in