Talk

Advanced search

Harmony test

(2 Posts)
IndigoJam Sat 23-May-20 21:58:48

Not sure if this is the right area so feel free to move if not but just wondering if anyone has had false gender results or inaccurate results with a harmony test?

I had one previously which was 100% accurate and I'm TTC again and thinking I might go down this route again when/if it happens but just wanted others opinions and stories.

Thanks

NoCallerID Sun 24-May-20 06:36:47

Hi IndigoJam,

There's a lot about this in "antenatal tests".

The harmony/NIPT test is very accurate for the sex unless there is a sex chromosome issue. Assuming the child is healthy and does not have this specific problem, they will either detect a X chromosome (girl) or a Y chromosome for a boy.

Generally the test is very accurate for T21, Down Syndrome but not so much for T13 and T18 (Pataus and Edwards). There is a possibility of getting false positives what can obviously cause a lot of stress and worry, that's something to be aware of.

It is also not classed as a diagnostic test, it's more of a "peace of mind" kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »