Talk

Advanced search

Stopped breastfeeding to conceive

(6 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MmMmChips Sat 09-May-20 20:10:26

I stopped breastfeeding 2 months ago after breastfeeding for 7 months after advice from my doctor. I have been doing ovulation tests which are all negative and no signs of my first AF.
My partner and I have always wanted children close together in age. We were due to get married in June which has been cancelled because of the virus that shall not be named, so we have all of our wedding savings and we may not be getting married now until 2023.
Would it be a stupid idea to go to a private fertility clinic as we have the savings from our wedding to get tests done and possibily get chorid to help start ovulation again?
I know we sound so impatient Im just worried because when I was younger I stopped getting periods for 2 years (this was more than likely because of the injection which I was using for contraception- I only got this 3 times which covered 3 months per injection so 2 years seemed like a long time!) and was meant to be getting tests done however a few weeks later they finally returned. I'm worried it will be another 2 years because of the horomone imbalance from breastfeeding.
Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-May-20 14:07:44

Hi, we're just moving this thread over to our Conception topic. Hopefully some Mumsnetters will be along soon with some advice and support.

june2007 Fri 15-May-20 14:17:02

2 months is nothing though. Even if you contact a private clinic they would probably say the same. But I get you don,t want to wait 2 years. I mc in November but it was all delayed so wasn,t complete to Feb and still no cycles, not sure if age or just me. (I too have been months without and not on homones.). Talk to oh see if that is the way you want to go down. Can you try on NHS first?. (TBHh I rather put it to a wedding.).

Saddlethehorseimdone Fri 15-May-20 14:23:22

Very sorry to hear about your wedding, it's such an awful time at the moment.
I'm in a similar position to you. Had my son in September and wanted a sibling close in age but no sign of AF. I stopped bf just over five weeks ago to try and get them back but still no sign and definitely not pregnant. From what I've read, up to three months is very normal but can be longer.
I'd probably give it a couple more months as your hormones are probably still settling down. I know it's easier said than done.
Hopefully someone will come along who has been there before. I've read so many threads on how long it took for periods to return after stopping breastfeeding and it seems to vary so much. Fingers crossed for you!

Wesstywoo Fri 15-May-20 14:27:38

Hi @MmMmChips 2 months is still very soon and your prolactin level may not have come down yet which could be the reason you haven't ovulated. Is your GP surgery currently doing blood tests ao they can check your levels?

NannyPear Fri 15-May-20 14:41:39

As already said, 2 months really is no time at all. I can't imagine fertility clinics would advise doing much either until things settled down. I don't know how they work, but would imagine they would want hormones to settle down post breastfeeding before even being able to properly, and safely, give you hormone treatment. It may be worthwhile speaking to a clinic for advice now, as if they say no then that's the decision made for you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in