Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation pain - what does it feel like?

(10 Posts)
punbelievable Wed 06-May-20 15:08:15

We have decided to start TTC in September and so up until then I'm trying to track my cycle and symptoms to try an get a good understanding of how it all lines up. (Been tracking periods for a while anyway)

Didn't know ovulation pain was a thing until recently so my question is, what does it feel like for you? According to my app, today is ovulation day and this morning I noticed a sharp pain on the right that came and went so I thought, oh! Maybe that's it!. But then just now I've had a mild sort of pulsating pain on the right, which lasted for about ten seconds...... could either of these be ovulation pain - or do I just have gas?! 🤣

OP’s posts: |
punbelievable Wed 06-May-20 15:09:11

Sorry, meant to say sharp on the left, and then the second pain was on the right which is why I'm asking because I thought ovulation was one side or the other

OP’s posts: |
Hoggleludo Wed 06-May-20 15:59:17

I have ovulation syndrome ever since having an ectopic 20 years ago

But it feels like a mild stabbing pain in my side. Roughly where the ovaries are

I get it every single month. Without fail. I can't miss it.

Hoggleludo Wed 06-May-20 16:02:02

You can ovulate on both sides

However you'd probably be having twins!

Non identical of course

Mine is one side or the other. I don't get pain on each side. You can have referred pain. But I've not had that

Also. My ectopic meant I lost the tube on the left. When I had the tube removed I was told my fertility would go down to 50%.

But when I was pregnant with my second. The radiographer exclaimed I'd ovulated from my left ovary. When I said but I haven't got w tube on that side. It's since come to light that you can lose a tube. Ovulate from that side and the egg transfers to the other side and goes down that tube

The body is remarkable!!!!!

Nomorewineever Wed 06-May-20 19:51:18

My DS was from my left ovary and my DD from the right!

Yes a stabbing pain followed by a day of feeling bloated and grim. It’s not pulsating or throbby, it’s a steady nasty pain which lasts about an hour or two, like a knitting needle front to back on the relevant side.

Serz88 Wed 06-May-20 20:00:05

@Hoggleludo that is amazing I thought once you lost it that was it!
Also sorry for sounding stupid (new to TTC) but how do you know which one you conceive from?

Hoggleludo Wed 06-May-20 23:32:11

They can tell. But from an early scan. So the radiographers tell. They can see exactly where on the ovary the egg is released from. It leaves almost like a scab. I could t see the damn thing. But she could! Lols.

Hoggleludo Wed 06-May-20 23:32:42

Plus I knew. However when I ovulated from the left side. I just didn’t have sec as often as I thought it was pointless! Lols

justasking111 Wed 06-May-20 23:41:51

I still get that stabby pain even though my periods have stopped. There is a name for it. mittelschmerz

fairydust3 Thu 07-May-20 07:57:08

I've always had bad ovulation pain, it used to be much worse when I was younger. To me it feels like stitch but lower down. After a while it kinda becomes a dull deep aching kinda like period pains but only on one side.
Also, I only ever tend to get ovulation pain on my left side. My left side is my dominant side I think but when I ovulate from my right side I get a very faint dull period pain on that side, nowhere near as strong as my left side.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in