Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive a girl already mother of 2 boys

(33 Posts)
Corkmom Sun 12-Apr-20 19:04:15

Hi im trying to conceive my 3rd and final baby (im 40) im hoping to have a girl, but my husband is 1 of 5 boys so im not holding my breath. I have been tracking my cycle with clearblue ovulation test sticks and also these cheap ones on amazon so i know when we did the dead 4 days before ovulation i should technically be having a girl if i fall pregnant. Tbh though i have serious doubts about the shettles thingy! Anyway just wondering here if anyone like me tracked theyre ovulation and wanted a girl! Did they have sex few days prior to ovulation day or bang on ovulation day?

OP’s posts: |
SansaClegane Sun 12-Apr-20 19:11:25

Don't try to conceive if you only want a girl.
The odds are 50/50 and doing Shettles, you just reduce your chances to conceive; especially given your age (not trying to be mean, but as you know fertility decreases sharply after 35).
But seriously, unless you would want a third boy just as much as a girl, don't do it.

Ginfilledcats Sun 12-Apr-20 19:11:27

Sorry to disappoint but given you've had 2 boys already the odds are increased that you'll have another boy. I don't think that method works for a number of reasons. It's pure luck of that sperm I' afraid

Juno231 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:12:44

Not me but I know two people who used shettles to get the sex they wanted and it worked both times (each) for them so they swear by it. One has a boy and a girl and the other has two girls. So it doesn't hurt to try! For the girls they only DTD 5 and 4 days before ovulation day.

Corkmom Sun 12-Apr-20 19:14:49

I would be happy with either once it is healthy. smile i just want a baby. I think its 50/50 also but you hear so much stuff about swaying the odds in your favour online. I prob shouldnt bother reading it

TheGirlWithAPrince Sun 12-Apr-20 19:17:06

Not promising anything but i have a husband from a household of boys and all myy family are boys but i used the chinese gender calculator and i now have what i wanted, a boy and a girl from it smile was correct both times

Corkmom Sun 12-Apr-20 19:18:24

I actually checked that calender today and it said girl.

Slomi Sun 12-Apr-20 19:19:36

My friend tried shettles method to have a girl for baby 3 and 4. She has 4 boys. Sorry OP, I think it's pure luck!

Corkmom Sun 12-Apr-20 19:20:05

I know with my sons i only did the business the day of ovulation and day before so i guess if im to have a girl at all if will be now smile boy or girl ill be happy anyway.

happytoday73 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:20:39

I remember reading a paper regrinlder parents being more likely to have a girl unless already had two or more boys when lmuch likely will get more boys.

Older parents are also more likely to have twins.

happytoday73 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:22:08

Argh typos! Sorry... As already 2 boys most likely you will have another boy

Ullupullu Sun 12-Apr-20 19:22:25

The older the father, the more likely it will be a girl.

Yogatoga09 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:25:31

OP it’s the sperm that determines the gender

Pinkblueberry Sun 12-Apr-20 19:27:35

Why would having a girl/boy have anything to do with your ovulation days? It’s down to x and y chromosomes - eggs only have x therefore this is entirely dependent on your partners sperm.

Alarae Sun 12-Apr-20 19:28:45

DTD day before ovulation and on the day and had a baby girl.

Pretty sure it's luck of the draw.

TorkTorkBam Sun 12-Apr-20 19:31:23

Viscosity of your vaginal secretions matters. Thinner favours lighter faster boy-making Y-sperm reaching the egg first. Thicker favours heavier more bullish girl-making X-sperm getting there first. There are many things that affect vaginal mucous viscosity. Some are things you can affect. Worth a Google. I had a girl after two boys (anecdata obviously!)

Geepipe Sun 12-Apr-20 19:31:29

What is shettles? Yeah sorry op its all down to the sperm its a luck of the drawer. Please dont have a baby for this reason. I know someone who is pregnant with their 5th who is a girl after 4 boys. Its clear from her behaviour the mother doesnt care about them boys she was only interested in a girl.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 12-Apr-20 19:31:45

Supposedly X sperm are slower but last longer whereas Y sperm are quicker but don’t last as long.

However, I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Mawbags Sun 12-Apr-20 19:32:44

So your husband is one of five. What about his father, does he have any sisters?

I deliberately didn’t try for a third because there were no girls going down the male line, DH has three brothers, they all have boys....and from what I know, it’s highly genetically influenced.

I knew deep down I would have been disappointed with yet another boy so dropped the idea and have never regretted that: sometimes you have to be practical I guess: but good luck, I do hope you get what you want

Twickerhun Sun 12-Apr-20 19:36:15

Shettles is a load of bollocks - if it were true all Ivf babies would be boys.

Twickerhun Sun 12-Apr-20 19:36:45

Or girls I can’t work out which but it’s bollocks

RhymingRabbit3 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:36:52

you hear so much stuff about swaying the odds in your favour online
It's all bollocks

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Apr-20 19:37:03

Totally anecdotal of course, but I'm as certain as I can be that all three of my boys were conceived on the day of ovulation. The sonographer at my 20 week scan told me that statistically, as I had two boys already I had a 75 per cent chance of another one. She was right! Oh, and I was delighted as I just wanted another child, no preference for the sex.

Melbs6 Sun 12-Apr-20 19:45:21

I had sex 5 days before ovulation which according to the theory should have definitely been a girl, and all the calendars said girl but I’m having a boy 💙 i don’t think there’s any accuracy to those theory’s so it really is pot luck.

My husband is 1 of 3 boys and both his brothers have had a boy (no girls yet) so he’s from a boy producing family. I’ve done a bit of research and there is a scientific theory that there is a gene (or multiple genes) that control how many X or Y sperm men produce, and some men produce more X and some men produce more Y. It does sound that your husband may be carrying the gene(s) that make him produce more Y sperm (boy).

I don’t want to dampen your hopes, but you should maybe expect a boy and then be pleasantly surprised if it’s a girl, but because a boy was expected you won’t be disappointed 💙

Geepipe Sun 12-Apr-20 19:45:32

This is very interesting though. Im going to be ttc soon and i guess i will have a boy as dp is one of ten boys! And his dad had all brothers too and dp has a little boy already.

Sorry op i think it is luck of the drawer and likely you may have another boy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in