Talk

Advanced search

Coronavirus and early pregnancy

(13 Posts)
Bettie2192 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:44:52

I just found out I am pregnant (yay), but a bit confused about if I’m now classed as high-risk. The nhs website just says pregnant women, it doesn’t specify if that’s all stages of pregnancy. Does anyone else know?
I can definitely do my job from home but the company I work for hasn’t given everyone the OK to do that yet, just some employees. My anxiety is through the roof anyway (I had MC last year) so having to go into work every day with all these risks worries me even more. Should I tell my manager? Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t dream of telling anyone right now but I would feel so much safer at home.

OP’s posts: |
Lazydaisydaydream Mon 23-Mar-20 09:00:37

Congratulations!

Yes it's all pregnant women. You should tell your boss so they can make arrangements for you to work from home.

BiscuitLover2391 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:01:51

It is and actuslly early pregnancy is the bigger concern as no one who's had covid19 in early pregnancy has had their baby yet. Definitely tell work and enjoy the work from home.

Bettie2192 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:36:33

Thank you both greatly for the advice, I will pluck up the courage to tell my manager lol x

HeyJupiter Mon 23-Mar-20 09:45:41

Hi @Bettie2192

Congratulations smile So the RCOG actually published new guidance on Saturday. Women over 28 weeks pregnant to isolate at home. Women in 1st and 2nd trimesters should socially distance and work from home if possible (but okay for them to be public facing if that's the only option.)

www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/2020-03-21-covid19-pregnancy-guidance-2118.pdf

Try not to worry. Although they haven't gathered any data from women in first trimester scientists think it's extremely unlikely that vertical transmission from mum-baby occurs during pregnancy and therefore your baby will almost certainly not be effected even if you caught covid-19 during your pregnancy. The link above has lots of reassuring science backing this up! Stay at home if you can though.

peachypetite Mon 23-Mar-20 09:46:38

You should tell work and WFH. No point being out and about unnecessarily.

YellowFlower22 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:45:21

Hi, I would consider telling your boss, i would do the same if it was me. If you can work from home that's best and they will be understanding of that in the circumstances. Best to be safe!
Congratulations 🥳

Bettie2192 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:06:04

Thank you all for the advice, RCOG website was v helpful to read

Zoetuxx Mon 23-Mar-20 17:36:47

Hello, congratulations! I also got a BFP today, I’m a key worker as a Preschool teacher but I have just emailed my manager to ask if they’re okay without me. I also had a mc in January so extra anxious here!

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 23-Mar-20 17:44:17

Later pregnancy is always more risky with viruses because they can be transmitted easier to the baby. The first trimester, before the placenta is formed, should be the safest. If in doubt contact your midwife

Bettie2192 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:07:54

@Zoetuxx hope you can keep yourself safe, I don’t think we should be taking any chances no matter what stage we are at. I was so anxious yesterday and today but I have relaxed now, especially since I’m going to be working from home now smile

Faie Mon 23-Mar-20 20:12:07

I'm in the same boat, and desperately terrified of going into work. Work at a hotel reception and we are still checking guests in and out. Desk is small so physically impossible for me to stand more than 1m back away

Katnissx Mon 23-Mar-20 20:16:09

@Faie if your work know your circumstances but won't change you to a less public facing role, could you ask to make a line on the floor with duct tape for people checking in to stand behind to lower your risk? Like pharmacies are doing x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in