Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | TTC after ectopic pregnancy

(1000 Posts)
Mumlili9 Tue 25-Feb-20 03:22:20

Hello I'm hoping to chat with other ladies ttc after ectopic pregnancy with tubal removal. I recently had an ectopic pregnancy and lost my left tube. I don't know anyone who has been through this so I've no one to talk to about this. I would love this tread to become a kind of support group where we can support each other on the scary journey of ttc.

OP’s posts: |
Sammyclaire22 Fri 28-Feb-20 07:39:02

Thanks @springandsummer123 yesterday I did morning afternoon and bedtime! This morning's was darker so I'm happier and will only do fmu now.
Going to book my private scan later hopefully for 2 weeks time. I'd rather find out bad news there than at the local epu then will see how I feel about early scans with epu. I had lots last time (almost every other week for different reasons) it really stressed me out by the end as they kept finding new possible problems. I'd like to see the little bean though!

I hope people don't mind me still posting on here- at least until it's confirmed one way or another. We spend so long hoping for a second line and then the fear of going through what we've already been through before sets in and it's hard for anyone who hasn't been through it to understand

Springandsummer123 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:14:40

@Sammyclaire22 yes I don't think you'll fully relax until you've seen it's in the right place! What's the earliest you can get a private scan?

I don't think anyone would mind you posting here (I certainly don't) I think you're a positive example of how it can happen after what we've all been through. Hopefully some of us won't be too far behind you either so then we can be on the pregnancy journey together. Fingers crossed for everyone 🤞🏻 x

Sammyclaire22 Fri 28-Feb-20 08:28:50

Ahh it would be lovely if you were!
In theory 2 weeks is the earliest but i went at 5w+4 last time at mums as I ruptured at 6w. Too early and there is a chance even if it's in the right place they won't see anything- we didn't see a heart beat but saw the gestational sac. About 4 days later with epu we then saw/ heard the heartbeat

Btw if you are feeling ready to try again you could always ask your surgeon if it's safe to start ttc earlier- they might have said 3 months to give you time mentally as well as physically.

Mumlili9 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:53:11

@Sammyclaire22 please stay with us a bit longer your success is encouraging hun. Fx everything is prefect this time.

Mumlili9 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:56:27

@BMWL hello hun welcome.

Ladies odd question but I'm experiencing pain post surgery on the right side more than the left side ( left tube removed) does this sound right or could it be something has gone wrong.

Mumlili9 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:58:39

It's definitely not ovulation as I still have hcg in my blood and its been there since the surgery too

Sammyclaire22 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:00:12

@mumlili9 ahh thanks smile I will keep you all updated. Saw the gp earlier and he's referred me for early scans at the women's (different epu) so happier about that. Also have a midwife appt in 3 weeks but think she might put it back.
As for the pain I had the same, I also had a lot more bruising on the right side too. My surgeon said he checked the right tube for issues so I can only assume it was from that. I worried too as the remaining tube is so precious!

BMWL Fri 28-Feb-20 16:07:10

@Mumlili9 I also had pain on the right side too (had left tube removed)
I can only presume is was just from the disruption of them taking the tube out? I'm not really sure but it went away after a few days x

Mumlili9 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:22:24

@Sammyclaire22 just coz I'm a nosey person make sure you ask which side you ovulated from. It's really interesting that a few people online have ovulation on the side with no tube but still got pregnant. Thanks

Sammyclaire22 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:40:45

Good idea @mumlili9... you can def get pregnant from the left ovary (but no left tube) as my surgeon said the tubes float about like Hoover's but usually the nearest tube gets to the egg first, so fertility is reduced with one tube but only a bit, it's not halved like i worried. With my dd I ovulated on the right as they could see the corpus luteum.

Springandsummer123 Fri 28-Feb-20 21:02:47

That's crazy - I literally had no idea the tubes did that!!!
I had the right tube removed - had general aches and pains for a while - it could be bloat - I've read being bloated is one of the symptoms. I'm on iron tablets now due to losing a fair bit of blood during the procedure so I'm still a bit unsettled with my digestion etc.
I also had a lot of bruising under my belly button, from the outside I looked worse than I did after my previous c-section. It's a pretty touch procedure even tho it's keyhole!

Mumlili9 Sat 29-Feb-20 04:25:22

@Springandsummer123 I also have bruising but the one that really hurts and feels like ripping or tearing is the one just about my bikini line it's about an inch wide but feels like it's the length of my belly. I still can't stretch and these blooming stitches still arn't dissolving. I'm impatient I know but I really thought I would be up a sat it by now but I still feel as battered as the day I came home. I had my op on 18th Feb and the midwifes made it sound like I'd be back to normal in a few days, but I'm not no where near. I still can't lie on my side because it feels like tearing and I swear I can feel my uterus flopping around in there.

Sammyclaire22 Sat 29-Feb-20 06:39:20

@mumlili9 don't forget you had the additional complication of them catching your uterus. It's not even been 2 weeks yet- I know by that point I wasn't back to normal! And the nurse will have been giving generic guidance so it's ok to not be ok yet. Just follow what your body says and rest and look after yourself. If it doesn't feel right inside or you get funny discharge etc then I'd contact the hospital or your gp for advice. Make sure you mention you also had a uterine repair.

Also it might be the stitches internally as well as the visible ones irritating you, the tissues will be healing now so some pulling and tension when you move is normal. Nerve healing happens at about 6 weeks too so you might get tingling or itching sround the scars. My external ones didn't dissolve either and started tearing my skin which is why I cut them out myself! I preferred to take my time and do it bit by bit over a few days rather than go to a nurse.

Springandsummer123 Sat 29-Feb-20 06:41:46

@Mumlili9 I definitely didn't feel as bad as you are describing - I didn't have any soreness at all from the bottom incision - mainly the other two.
I think you should get it checked out.
Everyone heals differently & every surgeon will have done the procedure slightly differently but you've have had life saving surgery! (My mum reminded me how 100 years ago I'd probably have died from this!)I don't think anyone would mind you going back in to be checked.
Did they send you away with any iron tablets? I actually needed a transfusion the day after due to blood loss and was told I'd feel tired for a while but other than that I feel pretty good considering. Still feel a bit bloated too which often creates weird aches and pains. Funnily enough I didn't get the shoulder pain symptom until after the procedure!
Hope you start to feel better soon & are getting lots of fuss & TLC!

Mumlili9 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:37:03

@Springandsummer123 isn't that strange I didn't get the shoulder pain until I woke up from surgery they said it was the gas causing it. My hubby keeps saying that about "you could have died" at me like I a harsh reminder to slow down. But I can't stand being restricted, I'm the type of person that likes to get stuck in and do it all myself. I'm so impatient, I'm literally the worst patient ever lol. If this continues by Tuesday which marks 2 weeks I'll go get checked. Thanks ladies for your help xx

Springandsummer123 Sun 01-Mar-20 20:31:51

@Mumlili9 so weird about the shoulder pain! I also had no bleeding at all either so it was a bit of a shock with the diagnosis came.
When I was pregnant with my first I had implantation bleeding and had nothing with this pregnancy. I wasn't too worried about it as I know IB is quite rare but it's definitely something I will look out for next time.
You sound just like me re being a bad patient. I hate fuss and attention and was so uncomfortable with everyone knowing I was in hospital. If I'd had a 'normal' miscarriage I'd probably have had one day off and gone back to normal without anyone knowing. The most challenging thing for me has been everyone finding out and feeling sorry for me. I hate pity and people feeling sorry for me? I'm a very private person and I just want to move on from it all and get back to normal and move forward.
Are you feeling any better? When are you back to work? X

Mumlili9 Sun 01-Mar-20 21:04:40

@Springandsummer123 I'm feeling a lot better today. My sick note runs out 4/3 but I'm getting another 2 weeks because of heavy lifting and lots of bending in my job. I'm going to try a soak in the bath in an hour to try and dissolve these stitches because I had a horrible dream last night about them ripping my skin so they are really bothering now. I think like you I hate the fuss. I just want to get back to normal and start ttc again. I finally managed to get the hubby to talk today and got a hug out of him. He confessed that he couldn't hug me because he was scared, he said he could have lost me and that hurt him so bad he needs time to get past it. I never thought how the whole thing might have effected him. I think it's hit him much harder me. I've assured him that I don't plan to go anywhere and that he won't hurt me but time heals more than words I think. How are you doing?

Sammyclaire22 Sun 01-Mar-20 21:28:42

Hi guys, not been a good day today. My tests this morning came back super faint or negative so I think it's either a chemical or another ectopic (hoping not ectopic as they did get dark over the weekend). I've had no cramps or bleeding though so feel a bit in limbo but trying to prepare for bad news. Not really sure if I need to do anything about it either.

@mumlili9 I get what you mean about the partners experience- mine struggled too. I think the sudden seriousness of it all it's quite shocking especially when they can't do anything. We struggled after ours to keep on the same page for a while and today wasn't great. Ended up niggling rather than helping each other.

I get what you both mean about it being personal and private too- mine happened at work (im nhs) but managed to keep it quiet apart from my manager who came with me. I'm so glad as it made going back to work a little easier as I hate feeling like I'm gossiped about. We never told any family in the end for a similar reason (not everyone is discrete) which has been hard.

Mumlili9 Mon 02-Mar-20 00:47:19

@Sammyclaire22 hi hun it might be worth getting your bloods done a few times to make sure that your hcg is going down. I had this with my chemicals and with this ectopic. I had positives that got darker, then went negative like a chemical but then went darker again. I only figured out something was way off because I had bloods done 5 times, they went 38, 73, 496, 863 then a week later they were over 6000 and everyone said no it's doubling it's fine, so I begged 3 doctors to refer me to the epu and finally I contacted them myself. When I got there they said you have a sac in your uterus but it's the size of a 4 week pregnancy ( I was 6 weeks) and was told to come back in a week,. The midwife was trying to convince me that I got my dates wrong. So I went home and kept having the sharp pains and spotting and went back the next week to be diagnosed with an ectopic that was splitting my tube and a blighted ovum in my uterus. My point is advocate for yourself if I hadn't I might have been even more poorly. If you are worried (this wasn't meant to worry you) tell them what you need. Also it's a good thing to have it recorded on your medical records anyway.

Springandsummer123 Mon 02-Mar-20 06:48:37

@Sammyclaire22 so sorry to hear about your tests. If I were you. I would go to GP, I think because of your history they would definitely see you. What's the worst that can happen? They find out its chemical and send you home?
If it's implanted in the remaining tube they need to get it out ASAP so they can save that tube!

My partner has been fine (I think) - mainly because I've been fine (emotionally). I didn't feel pregnant and didn't let myself get ahead with planning etc. until we had been for a scan, I didn't have a good feeling about the pregnancy either so I was very matter-of-fact about it all. He did say how scary it was when I collapsed and passed out at hospital, that can't have been nice to see.
It's really nice to have you ladies to chat with as no one I know has been through this so don't fully understand. My focus now is to get in shape (want to lose about 10lb before I get pregnant again) & enjoy a holiday we have booked over Easter. It's all inclusive so at least now I can enjoy a few cocktails 🍹
I'm all about setting new goals/deadlines & moving forward. I guess it's my way of dealing with things! Having lots of cramping down below this morning so hoping AF might make an appearance soon! X

Sammyclaire22 Mon 02-Mar-20 08:49:34

Thanks guys- another ectopic is already a worry so I've already seen gp Friday so they are already organising urgent scans. I work opposite a&e/ women's hospitals so in good hands at work. My tube ruptured at 6w exactly first time so I try to get things moving quickly- there was a heartbeat then so they said I couldn't have methotrexate
They didn't tell me at the time it would have been too late anyway as I was already bleeding internally.
I've just managed to get a gp appt so will see where I go from here. Doesn't help as I have a cold again so feeling rough! Gave me a good excuse to leave work early though.

Being positive is the best way,

Springandsummer123 Mon 02-Mar-20 09:33:55

@Sammyclaire22 good luck! Hope you get some answers x

Mumlili9 Mon 02-Mar-20 13:10:26

@Sammyclaire22 fingers crossed all will be well xx let's know how you get on

Mumlili9 Mon 02-Mar-20 22:32:41

I got my negative hpt this morning now just hoping to get back to normal and start ovulating again

Springandsummer123 Tue 03-Mar-20 05:28:55

@Mumlili9 that's great - I haven't tested for a while but presume the hcg is all gone by now. Just wait for AF!!! Lots of cramping but no signs yet, I've heard the first one can be heavier than normal.

This thread is not accepting new messages.