Talk

Advanced search

Husband has low sperm concentration. Should I do egg donor IVFttc 8months

(4 Posts)
MrsSta Tue 18-Feb-20 13:23:56

Hello I'm a bit worried we have been ttc for 8months I'm 30 and my husband 31 I had a private blood test and all my hormone levels are in good order. My husband had mumps as a teenager which resulted in him being quarantined in hospital for a week and I think this has affected his recent sperm results which have come back 8 10*6, normal is 15 10*6, so half of what it should be. I'm worried we won't be able to have children naturally and also if I should start looking in to becoming an egg donor as I can only do this up to the age of 32 and I'm 31 in May. We can't afford normal IVF and I think the NHS only does one round so if we need two or more I'm probably best to go down the egg donor free ivf route. Has anyone done this? Or has anyone conceived with a partner with low sperm count. Most of my friends are single or have had a baby without trying (like as soon as coming off bc) thank you x

OP’s posts: |
itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 18-Feb-20 13:28:18

Being an egg donor is a massive thing....could you live with another woman having your biological child and your cycle failing and you not having any as this a very real scenario?

I'd explore IVF on the NHS first before making such a drastic decision? There are lots of solutions for low count including ICSI and surgical sperm retrieval

Going the donor tours should be your very last resort

MrsSta Tue 18-Feb-20 15:15:31

Thank you itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted I didn't know about the other two options you mentioned, we have literally found this out this week and it's really knocked me and my dh.
I actually have always thought I would donate my eggs, I would like someone to have the chance to become a mum (although hopefully it happens for me as well) we have a call in two days with our GP so I will find out what he is proposing and also mention the above x

OP’s posts: |
itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Tue 18-Feb-20 15:25:31

Also with egg donor IVF you don't get it completely free in most clinics - it is a lot cheaper but it's still going to cost you a few thousand by the time you add in drugs and also the ICSI you'll need due to your partners results ......they will also put you on a pretty high dose of drugs to ensure they harvest the maximum number of eggs possible as you have to get over a certain amount before they'll share them

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in