Talk

Advanced search

Really basic conception questions

(14 Posts)
Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 00:01:15

Am thinking of ttc my second, however I have clotting problems (ie DVT/PEs) and am on Warfarin. Cannot conceive on Warfarin, but can come off it and go back onto Clexane whilst ttc and through any pregnancy.

But my consultant wants me on Clexane for as short a time as poss due to risk of osteoporosis. So, basically I will need to conceive asap.

Can anyone direct me to a good website/thread where I can learn the basics? I know for eg that you can work out when you're ovulating from taking temperatures. But how do you take that temp, are you looking for a rise or fall, etc.

Conceiving DD, I think we hit the jackpot the first time after finishing contraception. But the consultant says that in his experience, pressure to conceive can affect fertility. (And I'm no spring chicken!!)

Also, does the fact that my DD (11mo) was born by c/s have any bearing?

toomuchtimeonline Thu 30-Aug-07 09:53:23

Katsma - I'm no expert as I'm TTC my first however, I found the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler really good - It explains all about the signs of Ovulation and how to take your temps etc.

If you don't want to buy a book then there are lots of good websites that I'm sure someone will be along to recommend shortly smile

Basically for taking your temperature you need a digital thermometre - you take it every morning before you get out of bed (moving around will effect the result so it literally needs to be the first thing that you do) - you mark down your temperature - and you should see higher temperatures immediately after ovulation (I think it needs to be 0.2 degrees C higher for at least 3 days to count).

Temping is useful but it won't tell you when to BD as it only informs you after you have ovulated.

Some people use OPKs to predict ovulation - where you basically pee on a stick for the days around ovulation and you will have a surge in LH levels which will show on the stick and you know that once you've seen the surge you will ovulate in 12-48 hours.

Also you can chart CM - when you have lots of Egg White CM the chances are that you are very fertile and about to ovulate.

... Sorry I'm not very good at explaining this - but the book covers everything - I think you can get it cheap on ebay/amazon and they often have them for sale on the boards here.

Is your AF regular?

p.s. I don't think that having a caesarian has any effect on your ability to conceive.. but I'm not expert

Hopefully so more wise MNers will be along soon to help you grin

Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 20:52:50

Thanks for taking so much effort in your great reply smile

Didn't realise it was quite that complicated. Will take your advice and get a book.

AF is regular as clockwork, unfortunately with an 11mo DD, the BDing bit isn't grin

Will need to check out my cycles for a while I think to work out when I'm ovulating. Then I can plan the BDing like a military operation - baby to bed on time, with teething gel applied in advance, phone off the hook, etc grin

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 20:59:25

this is a fab website. you should be taking folic acid now and drinking grapefruit juice helps to improve the quality of your EWCM. i would recommend charting for a couple of months before you ttc to help you pinpoint your most fertile times. you need to see a pattern. most of all, try to enjoy it. get some nice undies etc.

HelloMama Thu 30-Aug-07 21:15:28

Another good book to try is by Zita West but the Toni Weschler one is also brilliant.

Charting is ok but so much can affect your temperature to such a small degree its not always that accurate - especially as you're only looking for the smallest change as ovulation occurs. It is worth doing though, as if you end up TTC for quite a few months (hope not) it may be easier to see a pattern that way than if you just do it for a short time.

You have a good head start for the fact that your cycle is regular. You can normally work out when you would ovulate by counting back 14 days from the time your period normally starts. So, if you have a 28 day cycle, you would probably ovulate about day 14, give or take 24 hours either side of that. I would recommend BD at least 4 days either side of your probable ovulation day, just to give yourself a headstart. Then it doesn't feel too bad if you miss a day because you're tired, or DH is unavailable for whatever reason! It is important to remember that sperm can live for 5-7 days, so its not the end of the world if you don't BD on the actual day of ovulation!

Start taking your folic acid tablets ASAP, as the sooner the better! It is recommended that best results are if you start them approx 3 months before TTC.

And.... lots and lots of luck!

moodymoo Thu 30-Aug-07 21:17:14

Think most things have been covered but it is really important that you start taking folic acid now.You can improve your EWCM by drinking lots of water as well. If you do monitor your temperatures make sure you get a thermometer designed specifically for BBT as a normal thermometer isn't any good.Boots sell a good one - I got my boots one from ebay for about £5 and it came with a book to chart your temperatures in.
I have just started using a clearblue monitor - can't say what I think of it yet but has definatly helped me relax more. Might be worth looking into - they are supposed to help you identify all your fertile days so that you don't 'waste' fertile days.Best thing is to take some time out to get to know your cycle - will make it easier in the long run - most of us are just too impatient to do that though grin
Good luck with ttc - there are some
good ttc threads on here - you should join in.

Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 21:21:04

Thanks lissielou that's a brilliant link.

Sorry, but EW?CM - I'm new to all this blush

Could get some nice undies, but really need some nice tits and arse to go in them gringrin

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 21:26:18

EWCM is egg white cervical mucas. its v important to help the lil guys along.

Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 21:29:56

Thanks everyone for your posts. Good thinking about the folic acid - had forgotten that shock

I think you're right about getting to know my cycle before going ahead. Am not looking forward to having to do the injections again, but am longing for another LO and know it'd be worth it in the end smile

Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 21:31:09

Oh egg white! All becomes clear smile

Or not, as the case may be grin

ScaryHairy Thu 30-Aug-07 21:36:06

It can also be helpful to check the position of your cervix (wash hands before and don't attempt it with long nails...) to confirm what the other signs (e.g. ewcm) are telling you.

At the start of the cycle, cervix is low and closed (feels like the tip of your nose). As ovulation approaches, it rises higer up the vagina and opens. It would also feel wet and soft, a bit like your lips. After ovulation it closes and moves lower again.

Like anything else subjective, it is good if you can do this for a few cycles before ttc as then you wil be able to tell what high, low, open etc feels like for you. If your cycle is regular, this should help you confirm when you are ovulating so you can target your efforts next month!

lissielou Thu 30-Aug-07 21:45:05

ooh and get dh on his vits and eating lots of zinc-rich food.

Katsma Thu 30-Aug-07 22:37:02

I'm liking your advice Scary! May get DP on that one grin

And on the zinc to make sure he has plenty of lead in his pencil grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 31-Aug-07 06:52:27

You are placing yourself under an awful lot of pressure.

I would urge you not to plan your BD like a military operation - big mistake. Any rigourous timing of intercourse can do more harm than good to a relationship (it can make the man in particular feel used). Make love when you both feel like it.

Taking temps is not a completely foolproof method of when you're ovulating - you can have a rise in temp in the second half of your cycle when an egg has not been shed. it is not a method without problems.

Ovulation can occur earlier later or not at all in any given cycle. Ovulation does not always occur 14 days before the start of your next period - it does not work like that. Even normally fertile women have the occasional anovulatory cycle. As your cycles are regular it is likely that you are ovulating more often than you are not.

Just keep things nice and easy and not go overboard with using charts, fertility books and thermometers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now