Talk

Advanced search

Which month to avoid Xmas baby?

(63 Posts)
EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 14:08:18

This is a ridiculous question, but I’m putting it out there as I’m sure I’m not the only one who has thought about it!

Does anyone know what the latest date for a shag would be to avoid a Christmas baby? I’ve tried working it out and assuming it’s Feb sometime, but I’m appalling with dates (should know better, given this isn’t my first rodeo).

And it goes without saying that I would be delighted in any case.

whatwouldjohnmclanedo Mon 13-Jan-20 14:10:12

Mid to end of March

Normandy144 Mon 13-Jan-20 14:17:40

Not silly at all. We aimed to avoid a Dec/Jan baby and ended up with a February baby. I'd say you need to avoid conception March /April. February should be ok.

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 14:18:45

Perfect, thank you. So I was totally off! Needlessly avoiding Feb to get knocked up in March and secure myself a Dec 25th baby! grin

Good luck to everyone trying. Will join you all on the 2WW boards soon...

Normandy144 Mon 13-Jan-20 14:18:46

Try this website? https://mymonthlycycles.com/avoid_due_date_calculator.jsp

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 14:20:02

Thanks @Normandy144. That's helpful. We'll carry on till end of Feb, then pick up again in May.

platform9andthreequarters Mon 13-Jan-20 14:22:08

I've had 2 due dates within 2 weeks of Christmas. I know when they were both conceived, both in April. Avoid mid march to mid April.

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 14:23:07

Of course these's a website for this! How did I not find that?!

I'm not sure on cycle dates (IUD has stopped all periods), so having a 'no go' month is a better indicator for me. And besides, DH will no doubt be delighted when I implement a 'no shag' rule for 6 weeks..!

Nittersing Mon 13-Jan-20 14:31:39

I have a Dec 24th baby. Avoid March! 😄 I nearly missed my Christmas dinner and DH had to stuff the stockings so the kids got some interesting muddle ups. The teen girl got 3 packs of screen tech wipes as he thought they were make up wipes.

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 14:34:46

Ha! That's hilarious. See, I bet there are lots of wonderful things about a Christmas baby - they certainly do make for some excellent birth stories!

misspiggy19 Mon 13-Jan-20 14:37:36

I have 2 friends with birthdays very close to Christmas- its miserable for them. No one is ever free to celebrate their birthday. They always get combined presents etc

moonsmarshmellow Mon 13-Jan-20 14:37:48

Not silly at all. If we TTC in the future then I plan to try and avoid a September baby as apparently it’s the most popular birth month and extremely busy maternity units as a result, always see FB posts from midwife friends at the start of September bracing themselves for a crazy few weeks. Think it’s something to do with all the Christmas and new year celebrations nine months before grin

MayDay27 Mon 13-Jan-20 14:50:36

Just jumping on this post as it was something a bit different than the others! It's quite interesting thinking of which months to avoid! Would anyone else think of avoiding a August baby so they weren't the youngest at school or is that not really an issue? We're not yet ready to TTC just yet but hopefully soon!

MayDay27 Mon 13-Jan-20 14:53:07

Obviously I'm sure we'd be over the moon no matter what their birthday would be!

userxx Mon 13-Jan-20 14:55:56

Avoid March, My birthday is in December and my Mum's is in March. I was clearly a birthday shag smile

ChipsAreLife Mon 13-Jan-20 15:02:12

My Xmas baby was conceived around 20th March. It's really not that bad!

Fuckmydeadlife1 Mon 13-Jan-20 15:03:37

I conceived Easter weekend 2017 so April time and had DD Christmas Day 🤣

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 15:46:03

Easter 2017 was mid April! Yes, I did just Google it! Okay, so I'm definitely going to avoid March and April...

@userxx I love that. What a nice thought for you every birthday! grin

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 15:49:50

@MayDay27 an August baby wouldn't bother me. I am sure I remember reading with DS1 that they are all about the same when they reach 7 or something, even if they struggle a little bit being the youngest at first. Probably misquoting the stat now, but whatever it was didn't give me any reason to avoid it then.

2020wish Mon 13-Jan-20 15:52:13

The dates it gives is my 2 cycles In March and April.... needless to say if I don’t conceive I’m feb then I’m breaking for two months lol

LimpLettice Mon 13-Jan-20 15:54:28

I have an Xmas baby, well, a couple of days before, and she loves it. She can start getting excited super early, as soon as Christmas stuff appears in the shops and the music starts, it's her season. The house is full of glitter and chocolate and warmth and light, and everyone's cheery. It isn't always a disaster!

EmbarrassingMama Mon 13-Jan-20 15:56:07

That's really lovely @LimpLettice. I bet it's great for the kids, just hectic for the parents!

Bear2014 Mon 13-Jan-20 15:58:18

Definitely March/April

Christmas baby not ideal but there are so many factors to consider.. our DD has a very early January birthday and our DS is August - I think he has more of a bum deal to be honest. It's not insignificant being the youngest at school, and people will always be on holiday when it is his birthday. My birthday is July and I lost count of the number of weddings that clashed with my birthday over the years.

namechange201020 Mon 13-Jan-20 15:59:20

DS was conceived around the 11th of March and he's November, he was due on the 27th. Christmas with such a tiny baby while cute was pretty hectic.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 13-Jan-20 16:01:04

We've two dc. Conceived dc1 end of March/Early April and they came the week before Christmas.

Dc2 conceived end Jan and they are the October half term which was much better birthday wise.

Either way, we didn't plan on stopping to avoid Christmas as we really didn't care. Dc1 doesn't give a hoot that they have a Christmastime birthday

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »