Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

rhesus negative mums..what happens in second and subsequent pregnancies...

(9 Posts)
cbcb Tue 28-Aug-07 14:53:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Michelle020774 Tue 28-Aug-07 14:57:25

I would also like advice on this one please! I am also rhesus neg and was given an anti-d injection around 20 weeks (I think) but my little boy is also rhesus neg so didn't need a second jab! What happens if I have a second baby?

meandmy Tue 28-Aug-07 15:02:44

yes think you do need it again untill you know if baby negative like you, think you may need to phone your local mw to ask about miscarrying

cbcb Wed 29-Aug-07 15:03:26

Rachel1963 Wed 29-Aug-07 19:48:10

I wasn't given an anti D after having DS because DH is negative as well, so DS obviously was (though I was asked in an antenatal clinic if I was sure that DH was the father, just in case....). And after the two miscarriages where I miscarried naturally I was told I didn't need the anti D because I hadn't got to 12 weeks BUT after my recent ERPC, I did have it - not sure why.

Shouldn't think that answers your question at all, cbcb, sorry if I've muddied the waters!

policywonk Wed 29-Aug-07 19:53:11

In second/subsequent pregnancies, they monitor your bloods regularly, and if you're showing any sign of sensitisation, you get given anti-D. If there's no sign of trouble with your blood during the pregnancy, then you'll probably just get anti-D again after the birth. Don't know about miscarriage specifically. The crucial point is whether any of the baby's blood (assuming it's rhesus pos) mixes with yours, so they will quite often give anti-D if you've had any bleeding during the pregnancy, or if you've fallen down the stairs - that sort of thing.

jellycat Wed 29-Aug-07 20:01:52

You should receive anti-D after any sensitising event as policywonk says. That includes bleeding or any incident which could cause bleeding even if there is no bleeding apparent, amniocentesis (I think), and m/c although for an early m/c the hospital may not give it (my hospital gave it if you were 10 weeks or over, that was in 2000 so policy may have changed since). Policy in most areas is also to give routinely at 28 and 34 weeks as well as after birth. This is in line with NICE guidelines of 2002 (which are currently under review). Check with your m/w about sensitising events as I probably haven't covered everything, just what I can remember!

cbcb Wed 29-Aug-07 20:02:03

looneytune Wed 29-Aug-07 23:33:20

Thanks for this thread, I keep wondering the same. I had anti D 3 times - after 2 MC's (one natural and an ERPC) and also after ds was born (I think). I must admit it worries me about if you have a MC and don't even know but you've reassured me that it's not necessary that early on. Will check that link out tomorrow, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now