Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive while still breastfeeding ** question**

(3 Posts)
devonsmummy Fri 24-Aug-07 10:24:32

My darling DH has just surprised me by making noises about trying for baby number 2 (he said he only wanted 1 and has really shocked me - in a good way)
I am still breastfeeding my 9.5mth old between 6-8 times a day, will this stop me conceiving or does it just mean it will be harder to know I have conceived as haven't had a period yet.
Confused...

meandmy Fri 24-Aug-07 10:25:36

lots of ladies on here have fallen pg while breastfeeding hth

lemonaid Fri 24-Aug-07 10:31:27

You can get pregnant before you have your first period, but the fact that your cycles aren't back to normal yet makes it less likely IYSWIM. You can't conceive unless you ovulate, and once you start ovulating you will get your periods back. But it's perfectly possible to get pregnant on the first postpartum ovulation, i.e. before you have the first postpartum period.

No harm at all min "practising" and you may get lucky, but realistically things are more likely to happen for you in a few months when your DC cuts back a bit on the feeds -- your cycles are more likely to start up again then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now