Talk

Advanced search

Low progesterone?

(9 Posts)
Zoey36 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:32:55

Conceives Dd1 first try no problems. Have since had a mmc followed by 1 and maybe 2 chemicals. Someone suggested going to the doctor to have a blood test to check progesterone. I'm not medically wise and am a bit scared of doctors! I don't want to go and make a fool of myself.
If I go and ask about this will they laugh me out? I'm also breastfeeding and although I am definitely ovulating (opks and temping confirms this!) wondered will they just tell me to stop. Is breastfeeding a factor? aive heard people say no and I know people who have breastfed through pregnancies but then I've also head that it is!

Peanutty86 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:53:22

Does the length of your luteal phase indicate that there might be an issue with low a progesterone? Have you tried herbal things like Agnus castus?
I don't think any doctor would laugh but be prepared to be questioned as to why you want this. They will want to know how long you tried etc maybe also show them your charts?

Jeds55 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:57:45

I've been told that if I get pregnant again I must tell my EPU unit and they'll put me on progesterone supplements (1 dd, 2 mmc, 1 chemical). I've done a bit of reading around it (not much as having a break after last mmc) and seems that progesterone supplements very slightly increase the chances of having a successful pregnancy so stands to reason that knowing where your levels are now would be useful.
I spot for a couple of days pre period and have read this is a sign of low progesterone. Do you? Have wondered recently if I should get my levels checked before ttc as wonder if it's too late once already pregnant, but like you, not sure what doctor would do. Hope it works out for you. There's always the online blood tests if you can't/dont want to go doctor, have never done one so read reviews first!

Zoey36 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:56:47

Thanks ladies. Luteal phase is different each cycle! Spotting started on CD12 last cycle which I think very normal? So probably doesn't indicate a problem.

sarahc336 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:08:57

Are you sure your lutral phase varies as I thought that was what is consistent, ovulation can change but r luteal phase is always set. It can range from 10-16 days and can be different across different women. Of it defo is different this would be something to discuss with your dr as it may show some hormone imbalance. Xx

Zoey36 Wed 04-Dec-19 21:11:10

Well I'm not sure. From ovulation until 1st day of period is between 14-16 days so it varies but not by much? But from ovulation to spotting varies a lot. Some months it has been spotting at day 12 for 4 days before period. Other months it has been spotting at day 14 for 1 day.

Peanutty86 Wed 04-Dec-19 21:33:17

Your LP seems perfectly fine, but thy doesn't rule out a progesterone issue. I would get it checked, but doctors will likely book you in on a 'standard day' I think it's CD21, so take your charts and work our with your GP when the best day for the rest would be according to your cycle. Have you tried Agnus castus?

Zoey36 Wed 04-Dec-19 22:04:48

I've not tried anything but am a bit reluctant to if there's nothing to actually fix!

Peanutty86 Wed 04-Dec-19 23:21:16

Agnus castus doesn't fix things but it gently helps the hormone balance. Maybe have a google, it actually comes up as 'fertility booster'. Worked for me to regulate my cycles and fall pregnant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »