Talk

Advanced search

Contraception being forced on me

(25 Posts)
uokhun25 Tue 10-Sep-19 09:41:05

Anyone else get pressured by the GP every time they visit - even for an unrelated issue!

I chose to quit any form of birth control about 5 years ago (it was not agreeing with me, made me feel like my brain was clouded, caused anxiety, made me irritable, caused migraines - the list goes on!!)

Partner & I decided to just use condoms - which has worked out fine for us!

I had some issues with pretty bad periods lasting about 10 days this past year - went to gp about it to make sure everything was ok - even had ultrasounds done etc - all was fine and they have basically said its just how my cycle is - contraception will sort it out

I've decided that id prefer to have the painful periods for a week than what the contraception options symptoms!

Gp thinks this is a bad idea and keeps trying to give me leaflets & information (I know my options i've researched all of it in depth!)

I've been back for various other unrelated reasons to the Gp since and every time they are trying to force this on me - why do they do this??

I want to ttc early next year (she knows this info) yet still keeps pushing for me to have the coil fitted?? WTF

I'm happy to just refuse - but I do wonder why they are so obsessed with this and try and force it!!

SimplyBeBlythe Tue 10-Sep-19 12:09:43

I changed Drs because of this. I now see the Practice Nurse who always asks if I’m happy with my Contraceptive choice and leaves it at that. I think it helps that she is a woman of my age and has children the same age as mine. She understands who I am, if that makes sense.
Bottom line - your body, your choice

NorthEndGal Tue 10-Sep-19 12:20:29

That would drive me batty!

uokhun25 Tue 10-Sep-19 12:37:29

Driving me mad tbh!!

Have moved GPs and it's still an issue - Gynaecologist got pushy about it as well after i'd seen her post ultrasounds when I was having the tests!

I swear they are trying to push certain drugs from big Pharmaceutical companies on us - husband thinks i'm reading into it too much with that accusation lolz!!

I feel like I can handle it and just refuse and not get coaxed into it - I fear that some younger woman/less able to stand up for themselves may be getting forced into things like the coil/implant etc without having had the chance to properly think about whats right for them!

SpringLake Tue 10-Sep-19 12:55:10

Hi OP. This is exactly why I never got to see the GP about my problems as a teenager... and in some ways I'm very glad I wasn't pressured into taking contraception (parents never took me as they knew this would happen, I lived with it). Turns out, after years of asking & investigation... my painful periods were a sign of serious issues. They shouldn't dismiss your concerns so quickly. Contraception isn't always the answer.

physicskate Wed 11-Sep-19 12:16:08

Contraception is not always the answer, I'd happily agree. Although, sometimes it is. If you've already said it's not something you want to explore, despite understanding all the options, why the hell are they pushing?? You've been informed enough to make a decision. End of.

Tenness Wed 11-Sep-19 12:35:42

I fell pregnant and had an abortion. The pressure I had to go onto another form of contraception I honestly believe contributed to the mental breakdown I had in the months following the abortion.

It is disgusting. I dare say that GPs are not pressurising men into having vasectomies, but are quite willing to apply pressure to women to mess about with their bodies when they don't want to.

Tenness Wed 11-Sep-19 12:37:52

I fear that some younger woman/less able to stand up for themselves may be getting forced into things like the coil/implant etc without having had the chance to properly think about whats right for them!

Yes, I agree. I was nearly 30 and said I'd go on the pill just to get them off my back at a time where I didn't need pressure, knowing I could choose to stop taking it if I wanted to, but I can quite imagine that younger, less confident women would cave to the pressure of something more intrusive.

AllOrNothin Wed 11-Sep-19 12:45:55

I agree and feel the same. Used condoms happily for almost 20 years. I had a coil at one point for about 3 years (not the hormonal one, copper coil) and it was great in a liberating kind of way but when the time came to take it out I decided not to replace it.

uokhun25 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:03:07

I brushed her off last time saying I wanted to TTC soon anyway so i'd rather stay off any birth control- her response was, oh really, but you are still so young (i'm 30) wtf

At one appointment they were so pushy about the coil she was practically ready to put it in there and then without letting me have a think about it - I got super annoyed and left her back her leaflets and walked away! - imagine an 18 year old in that situation, not even a minute to go home and do a bit of research and make an informed decision!

uokhun25 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:07:43

@physicskate exactly - well aware of my options - i've decided I'd rather put up with the bad period pains for a week than risk go back to migraines and feeling crap and anxious ! Plus if I want to ttc next year a long term option like the coil is not really an option for me so not sure whats with the pushiness - it is my body and i will decide what I put into it - they are so condescending really !

BogglesGoggles Wed 11-Sep-19 13:10:06

Isn’t it policy? I doubt it’s about big pharma. It’s just cheaper for the NHS to offercibteaception than abortions/you having children.

DDIJ Wed 11-Sep-19 13:17:17

They are supposed to offer everyone long acting reversible contraceptives. Then once it is in the patient might find it impossible to have the item removed.

I was put under heavy pressure to have an implant when I wasn't sexually active. I was also needlessly on the pill when I was younger.

CatteStreet Wed 11-Sep-19 13:23:55

Next time it happens, state calmly and clearly that you are happy with your choices wrt contraception and do not need any information about alternatives. Stuck record. If thes try to override you, talk about bodily autonomy and informed consent. They should back off then (hopefully).

uokhun25 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:49:14

I'm at the point now of just refusing to even take the leaflets - i just keep saying no thank you - they usually begrudgingly give me a few free condoms to take home, probably in the hope that at least they might stop me from pro-creating anytime soon ! hahaha smile

slipperywhensparticus Wed 11-Sep-19 13:52:04

Mine does this asks me about my contraceptive choices because it doesnt look like I'm taking anything right now that's correct and I'm not getting anything either so it really doesnt matter

TerribleCustomerCervix Wed 11-Sep-19 13:55:27

I’ve never had this- we aren’t trying to conceive but I have decided I never want to use any hormonal contraception again.

Any time my gp or (postnatally) mw brings up contraception I just say “No thanks. An unplanned pregnancy wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for us anyway.” and I’ve never had any HCP try and argue with me after that.

If the GP persists I’d be making a complaint to the practice manager.

Kelsoooo Wed 11-Sep-19 15:24:32

I've had this at entirely unrelated appointments.

I pointed out my bases were covered. They asked how. I said that DH had a vasectomy, they still tried pushing me into contraception.

I said no.

Next appointment same issue, I pointed out my MH issues have been better since being completely free of all contraception, still not good enough.

I just get so annoyed by it. The only thing I'd be interested in is sterilisation/hysterectomy and that's not an option apparently. Because I'm sooooo young.

Sympathy OP, sympathy.

physicskate Wed 11-Sep-19 17:07:32

@uokhun25 - that sounds like it's your decision to make because, um, last time I checked it's your body (as opposed to anyone else's).

The amount of time I've had by around here where women have come off hormonal bc (generally to ttc) and haven't had it explained to them that hormonal contraception can give them strange symptoms makes my head hurt. And that's just the withdrawal symptoms.

Informed consent (or dissent), people!!! Ffs.

uokhun25 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:28:55

@physicskate yep i had an awful time while on the pill, then a horrid 6months at least of withdrawals!

I will absolutely never take any of it again - I was an actual crazy person & it made me extremely anxious!!

I feel so well now since I knocked it all on the head, so much happier and no more bloody migraines!!

Doc thinks all that is unrelated - I don't agree!!!

NotJust3SmallWords Wed 11-Sep-19 20:35:32

I had my implant removed recently as we're planning on TTC soon. It took ages to get an appointment because the receptionist apparently just wouldn't believe that I didn't want to be on any birth control. She kept insisting that I had to have appointments first to discuss the contraceptive I would use after my implant was out, however much I insisted that i didn't want pregnancy protection, that was kind of the point!

In the end a nurse I saw for a general health check went out and told her that I'm 30 years old and perfectly capable of deciding not to use contraception so she booked me in!

uokhun25 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:04:32

@NotJust3SmallWords omg - what a nightmare! Glad you got sorted in the end - but wtf!

Sadly I've heard a few similar stories like this - a friends iud went missing and they just left it lost for ages before finally getting scans etc - she had to have an operation to get it out 😵!

Another good friend of mines story is almost exactly like years a massive delay in getting it removed - delaying her baby plans!!

Madness

timshelthechoice Wed 11-Sep-19 21:08:17

Yes! You can write them a letter and have it put it your notes to not bring up contraception because you are happy with what you are using and/or do not need it. I'd actually complain to the practice manager.

APinkMouse Wed 11-Sep-19 21:18:17

I've never felt huge pressure, but it's definitely been mentioned a lot. Fortunately they've never pushed it.

I agree with you, OP. So many young women pushed into hormonal contraceptive options without much information given about the heaps of horrible side effects.

I have never ever taken hormonal contraception. Always condoms unless TTC. I had the copper coil once, but it's hideous - I wept for the six months I had it in and felt suicidal. As soon as it came out it was like a weight lifted. It may be 'non hormonal' but they don't tell you how copper and estrogen interact, or the side effects of the copper itself.

Contraceptive options for women are dangerous over time, unpleasant and really fuck with our bodies. What's more, doctors couldn't give a shit about side effects.

autumnleaves99 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:25:04

The GP contract means they get paid a certain amount for providing certain services, one of which is giving women long acting reversible contraception (LARC), so the bottom line is that they see you as a potential for LARC, and if you're in agreement to have it, they'll get paid for it. Gives them an incentive and it's probably why they're asking you about it so much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »