Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else starting their TTC journey in next few month?

(72 Posts)
MrsMacG10 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:30:28

I'm 35 and me and hubby will be starting to try in the next 2-3 months after our honeymoon.
Terrified as to if we are ready and also worried about my age 😬 anyone want to share their journey with me?xxx

MrsB25 Mon 26-Aug-19 19:33:05

Hi MrsMac,

Would love to share the journey. We will be trying to TTC from November/December time. We travelled in Asia recently so need to wait until we are definitely clear of any Zika virus from mosquito bites. I’m 29 and we got married last year.
Where are you going for your honeymoon?xx

H8624 Mon 26-Aug-19 21:55:12

Yes I'll join! September will be month 1 of TTC for us - got married just over a year ago!

Excited but also slightly worried as I've read it can take up to a year (and that's assuming no fertility issues)! Also need to avoid due date around September next year due to a family commitment! Which means we've got 2 months trying, then got to wait a couple of months!

BabyDancer Tue 27-Aug-19 09:36:55

Hey MrsMac,

Congratulations on getting married smile.

I'm 29 and I got married just over a year ago. We've decided to start TTC in December (to hopefully have an Autumn/Spring baby). I'm super excited and want to start trying now but I've read that July/August born children are more likely to struggle at school. I'm probably overthinking it but it will also be nice TTC over Christmas!

MrsB25 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:31:33

Hi BabyDancer,

We are doing exactly the same. I’m a primary school teacher and they don’t always struggle but I think I would prefer an Autumn/Spring birthday if possible.

Have you done anything to prepare for TTC? I came off the pill in February and it feels like it’s taking ages for my cycles to get back to normal!

Jade218 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:48:01

Hi I'm 33 did one cycle so far and have just started a period so unlucky this time.

I didn't think I would stress this much about the whole thing!

I like you guys am also thinking should I plan to avoid summer baby due to learning being difficult for them but I also feel time is not on my side really so I should just crack on!

MrsB25 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:36:34

Sorry you were unlucky this time Jade, fingers crossed for next month!
I definitely think just go for it if you are worried about time, I’ve taught reception and year 1 and sometimes the summer borns do struggle more but I have also had August born children who are amongst the brightest in the class. They also catch up as they move through school 😊

Jade218 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:27:32

@MrsB25 you are right. I think sometimes we can get caught up in wanting the perfect conception/dates etc which is silly as the thing that matters is conceiving!

We are going to continue TTC and if we do and baby is born August then the child will just have to try harder, which isn't a bad thing!

MrsB25 Tue 27-Aug-19 14:13:51

@Jade218 I completely agree! It would be so much easier if you could plan it all but we just have to let it happen! I’m a bit of a control freak and a planner so I already know I’m going to struggle with not being able to plan out every detail 🙈

RJ44 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:13:36

Hi! Can I join? I’m 29 and me and my DH (37) are going to start TTC soon. I am taking my last pill on the last day of September and then we are going to see what happens! We might use condoms for Oct and Nov just to see what my cycles do as I’ve been on BC for 17 years 😱.
I’d like to say I’ll be super chilled but I’m neurotic through and through 😂 Do you guys find yourselves wishing time away?! I can’t wait to start 🥰

RJ44 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:14:29

Been on BC for 12 years not 17...😳😂

MrsB25 Tue 27-Aug-19 21:19:28

Hi RJ!
That’s a good idea to get to know your cycles, I had been on the pill for a similar length of time and mine have been all over the place since stopping! Some people are lucky and settle back down straight away though so fingers crossed that will be you 😊
We’ve just got back from a big holiday which was my focus for ages so now that’s done I’m definitely getting excited and hoping time goes quickly so we can start trying!

andpeggy1 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:48:30

So me and my oh had a first proper conversation about this the other day where we talked timelines n when to try. I'm 30(nearly31) he's 33.

He's said we would like kids, but the whole concept is really anxiety inducing and scary to him. There isn't anything in particular, just the fact that it's a big change and responsibility. Initially he was like let's wait a few years ( which he has said for the past 3-4years) and before it hasn't bothered me as I wasn't in a place where I thought kids would be the right step, too busy building up career, buying a house etc. He doesn't like to rush in to anything. He's always been like this. N he's always been ok when he sees a change like this works out for the good.

I don't wait to leave it much later to try as I'm concerned that we will have issues as he's a bit overweight. And I'm allot overweight 😔. I still have my implant in and I've assured him that that takes time to remove and my body to settle down, n that ttc takes on average about a year anyways. So if we start the process now, n don't rush anything then it's not going to be immediate. I need to try and loose weight before hand anyways.

Anyone in the same boat?

Banoffeepie91 Wed 28-Aug-19 03:19:06

Hi all, I came off the coil in June and would definitely recommend coming off any birth control a bit before you’d like to get pregnant to allow time for your cycles to regulate. (Use condoms if you really want to be safe) I’d heard that some people get pregnant straight away but I didn’t get AF for 6 weeks after my coil was removed and got really confused about my cycles. I’m now tracking bbt and feel like I have a lot more knowledge on how my body works which is great but I wish I’d got my coil removed earlier now.
Also wanted to try and avoid a July/August or Christmas baby but then realised as long as it’s healthy I really don’t mind when it’s born. Need to just let my body take control and it will happen when it happens.

andpeggy1 Wed 28-Aug-19 07:59:33

Yea we agreed that we would start casually trying next year in the spring. So not rushing anything. Noting happening immediately. I have time to try and shift some weight. When would it be best I get my implant removed? How long does it take the body to get in to a normal pattern?

zinrepus Wed 28-Aug-19 08:27:29

I'll join in as well! I'm 30 (31 in October) and DH (27) and I are looking to start TTC soon. We are moving up to Scotland in the next month or two (depending on contracts) and from there will be getting my copper coil removed.

I know where I am now, the wait times for getting a coil removed are approximately 3 months, but I'm hoping it'll be shorter up there, so I've started taking folic acid just in case. We haven't decided if we'll wait until after Christmas (one more Christmas of irresponsibility) or if we'll just go for it (as there's no guarantee we'll be pregnant by Christmas anyway).

I've noticed my broodiness swing dramatically based on where I am in my cycle, anyone else notice anything similar?

MrsB25 Wed 28-Aug-19 09:12:14

@andpeggy1 I came off the pill rather than the coil so it may be slightly different but my cycles still aren’t regular after 6 months! I have had periods but with cycles ranging from 28-42 days. Not sure whether to worry and speak to a doctor or whether to wait it out a bit longer!

My broodiness comes out when around friends with babies but other than that I don’t feel it at any particular time of the month. I vary from super broody to super nervous about giving up our current lifestyle!

RedFormica Wed 28-Aug-19 11:41:33

I was just looking for a page with TTCers around a similar age - I'm 35 also and this is my first time trying! My partner (33) and I have just started our journey. Im on day 12 of my cycle so our fertile window is coming up but atm I'm not tracking my cycle so exactly and my SO and i are just having sex every 2 or 3 days.

Its probably worth noting there are a few health things that might make conception tricky for us... I have a BMI of 33.5 and my partner has phimosis. We're both fit and active - my partner is an avid cyclist and swimmer and I am really into swimming (2 or 3 times a week, at least 20 lengths per session). Getting my body ready has been a 2 year process of quitting cigarettes (2 years smoke free!!) and getting fit (regular swimming sessions for over a year now!). For those who don't know what phimosis is, its when the foreskin doesn't fully retract. Were lucky in that this doesn't impede our sex life whatsoever but it does mean there isn't so much pressure during ejaculation (TMI TMI TMI TMI!!!). Does anyone else out there have a partner who suffers from phimosis also? Understandably its something people tend to not talk about so openly! We're starting to use a moon cup after sex to keep those swimmers as close to the cervix as possible (thank you youtube for the tip haha).

Anyways it'll be great to speak to you all about your experiences!!

RedFormica Wed 28-Aug-19 11:45:10

Also with regards to the 'age thing' - it has been something of a concern!! However i have read multiple articles saying with regular sex we have around an 80% chance of natural conception within a year. That increases over two years though.

RedFormica Wed 28-Aug-19 11:45:51

By "we" i mean women aged 35 - 38

zinrepus Wed 28-Aug-19 13:53:23

I recently read The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, which covers a lot of conception questions/concerns. It has some really helpful meta analysis of the age demographics and how to make your best go of things (and in a sassy pal tone, making the meta analysis much more palatable).

I have no personal relationship with phimosis, but my girlfriend's DH had it. It was sufficiently severe that it impacted their sex lives and he ended up having surgery to loosen the tie. That was several years ago, recovery was a few weeks to months? They have an 8 month old now... So while it might not be the first choice, if it seems cause for concern there are interventions...the upside down beetle pose should assist with that though!

Rose87777 Wed 28-Aug-19 14:23:25

Joining in too! DH and I are starting to properly “try” from September. We haven’t been avoiding pregnancy since we got married in June but just been having fun and it hasn’t happened yet (although we have definitely had sex during my fertile window every month). Last month this turned out to be a chemical/false positive:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3657530-Am-I-seeing-things-because-I-want-to-or-is-this-a-BFP

Also just had a FRER BFN today 😔
I’m 32 and DH is 31.

RedFormica Wed 28-Aug-19 14:42:11

@zinrepus Ooh would you recommend that book? I've just started What to Expect Before You're Expecting and it's quite a practical reference type book. Ah yes, my partner's GP did say circumcision could be an option. It might still be an option in the future if we find we are unable to conceive over the next year.

Just saw your question regarding broodiness during cycle - I don't personally see a change in my broodiness. My want for a child is always lingering in the background. I'm not obsessive with the idea/thought but its more like a consistent yearning. Does that make sense? haha My partner and i have already decided that if we are unable to conceive over the next two years then we would consider adoption. Ultimately my partner and i would like to have a family - that could be with a brood of children we've made ourselves or children we've adopted. It makes no difference to us!

RedFormica Wed 28-Aug-19 14:45:48

Hello @Rose87777 welcome to the thread - I'm really sorry about your false positive sad

Rose87777 Wed 28-Aug-19 15:15:11

Thanks @RedFormica. It was crazy faint so a bit silly of me to have got hopes but you see so many posts like that that go on to be real BFPs!

Also see you would be open to adoption to create a brood same as us!💕

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »