Talk

Advanced search

Weight and ttc

(11 Posts)
Babytrain89 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:20:54

So...just thought I would throw it out there...I am ttc and am still overweight by about 4 stone. I know all the risks about being overweight in pregnancy and am trying to do something about it. I am struggling however to find the literature on whether being overweight (without pcos) can stop you conceiving. Its been about 8 or 9 months for us now so guess I am trying to give myself a kick up the backside and see if its that or if it bears no relevance. Thoughts (helpful ones) would be welcome!

Pip231018 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:44:03

Hello,
I am overweight and I am borderline PCOS. I knew I wanted a baby so I decided to lose weight by following SW. Once I lost a stone, we decided to try and I did get PG.

I read that for every stone you lose you increase your fertility by 50%. I don't know if weight loss worked for me but it made me feel happier. Then I did MC at 9 weeks. But I will never know if my weight was a factor (after conception comes the high risk pregnancy) and so many pregnancies end in MC. But I can't say I didn't blame myself.

I've just found out I am PG again (very very early days) and after the MC I put 7lbs on of the 21lb I lost. So now I'm on a mission to stay active, follow SW and do everything I can to be healthy. I'm never going to lose 4stone (and it's not recommended that I do), but I am determined to be as healthy as I can be as ultimately, there is no bigger motivation for me.

It's really easy for people to say 'well you shouldn't be overweight in the first place' but it's too late for that advice and being fat doesn't mean I'm going to be a bad parent. No one is more critical of themselves than me - I'd love to be content with my body.

Way back when I started this thread which was good for me. I felt like I'd failed before I'd started, it's not exactly on topic but it still may come in useful.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3550071-bmi-over-35

Good luck. X

Liverbird77 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:44:56

Obviously all the personal stories you'll get here are anecdotal and, as you know, it is better to be a healthy weight: risks include gestational diabetes, low birth weight, issues giving epidural etc.
Having said that, if it gives you hope, I am also overweight and got pregnant within eight months. The baby is totally fine as well.
Good luck, hope it works out for you.

mommybear1 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:58:36

Hi I did find a lot of literature on being overweight and ttc it does affect conception from what I have read but the good news again from what I read is that if you lose 10% of your body weight it increases your fertility- I am talking here about overweight/obese people not those with other issues. I tried for a baby for 7 years and had 2 failed ivfs as we were diagnosed unexplained infertility- I was 16.5 stone at my biggest. Due to the ivf I started to lose weight as we were trying to qualify for NHS and bmi has to be less than 30. I was semi successful but didn't manage to get down to 30 so we paid privately. Following the ivf I continued to lose weight as we intended to have three attempts I fell pregnant just before our third try- PFB is now 21 months. I have been trying to conceive again and have been losing weight I've lost exactly 10% of my body weight and have conceived again - I had intended to keep loosing but circumstances have changed the diet for now! I'm pretty sure there was some literature published by Zita West which is easily accessible, I can't recall some of the other bits I read as it was a while ago now. The best plan (in my opinion) is to try to loose as much weight as you can but keep trying while losing - good luck!

Babytrain89 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:28:53

Thank you so much for your replies! You hit the nail on the head with what I meant and you have all given me hope and made me feel like I can make a difference. I think I felt so so overwhelmed at the thought of 4 stone...but 10% I can do!
Congratulations to you all on your little ones and thank you for taking the time to make me feel just a little more hopeful on this tough journey! 💜💜

mommybear1 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:39:34

Good luck @Babytrain89 feel free to DM me if you need to thanks

Pip231018 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:52:37

@Babytrain89 Ditto. Although I have no idea where my DMs are on this App. Ha! X

Mooey89 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:20:32

@Babytrain89
I honestly could have written this post!
Have been trying for 9 months, and I am 5 stone overweight which feels just unacheivable.
10% I can do!
If you feel like a fat TTC weight loss buddy pm me 😂 x

Hayley94 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:48:00

4 stone is do-able! I'm almost at a 3 stone loss. Aiming for 5-6 stone!

Babytrain89 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:55:49

@mommybear1 @Pip231018 - thank you both! Really appreciated!
@Mooey89 Ah its nice to know I am not alone! Ditto on the DM! Sounds like we're on a very similar journey.
@hayley94 Amazing! Well done! Have you followed a particular plan?

Hayley94 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:24:50

No particular plan. Just eating clean and exercising more! If I get to a point where I'm stuck I will look at PT sessions but as of now I'm losing each weight. Setting myself the 3 stone target before TTC has really pushed me though and I feel so much better being a smaller size. You can do it smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »