Talk

Advanced search

First BFP after the age of 30 - positive stories needed please - I’m losing hope!

(19 Posts)
Carley321 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:34:30

Hello

I guess I’ve made this thread for both support and some positivity. I am 33 years old and been ttc #1 for a year now. I’ve had bloods etc done and all is fine. Currently on the waiting list for gaeny because I have some one sided pelvic discomfort and dizziness around ovulation.
I’m slowly losing hope and feel like we may have left it to late. I would love to here off anyone who has a similar story and actually conceived.

So if anyone can feed me some positive stories and any helpful tips I would really appreciate it!

teacuptale Sat 10-Aug-19 07:18:59

A friend of mine was the same age and had been trying for a year without success. She’d just been referred for tests when she conceived twins. I had my first at your age. Apart from using clearblue ovulation double hormone predictors, preseed and vitamins for me and partner, I also had acupuncture. I conceived the first month I had acupuncture. Whether the acupuncture actually did help, I don’t know. Best of luck!

Nabana Sat 10-Aug-19 07:36:02

My sister had 2/3 of her kids in her thirties.

Mintjulia Sat 10-Aug-19 07:40:53

Carley you’re 30. That’s not late. I know getting a negative result each month is tough but I’m sure it will come right. Maybe stop putting yourself under so much pressure.
Are you going on holiday this summer? Can you just go away, relax in the sun and have lots of lazy fun.
I conceived ds naturally at 44 after being told I couldn’t have children. So don’t get too down. You’ve got years yet for all the hormones and timings & circumstances to be right. x

literategiraffe Sat 10-Aug-19 07:44:47

I've just turned 35 and celebrated with my 4 month old DD after 3 years of trying and 3 mc. We were almost 9 months between our last mc and DD being conceived. We tracked ovulation using the cheap strips from Amazon and just DTD as often as we fancied.
My best friend had her 3rd last year after a year of trying, she's the same age as me.
A lot of the new mums I know are in their early 30s.

literategiraffe Sat 10-Aug-19 07:46:10

DD not 3rd!

NavyBerry Sat 10-Aug-19 07:47:29

Has your DP been checked? It is always easier to start with the man and make sure there is nothing wrong on their side

PotteringAlong Sat 10-Aug-19 07:48:22

I had all 3 of mine after the age of 30 - 32, 34 and 37 when they were born.

MissingCoffeeandWine Sat 10-Aug-19 08:14:26

Hi Carley,
We tried for just under two years at 28 ish, initially we’d a chemical/early miss, then no BFP for over 18 months. We took a break (>1 yr) as I was beginning to find the process was making me miserable and decided the most important factor in TTCing is actually still wanting to sleep with and stay with your partner! In the break I changed jobs and moved house. Went from working 80hours shift to a more regular work pattern but that’s about the only difference! Had bloods etc. at the time, didn’t look positive (pcos etc amongst other complications).

We figured we were headed towards needing help, so decided to try again as IVF NHS funding in our area required another year of unsuccessful attempts. Didn’t OPK, drank less caffeine but decided to ttc as close to every second day as possible/as we wanted to. Fell pregnant on the second month! Unfortunately ended in an MMC at 12 weeks. Luckily fell pregnant two months later and am currently 20+ weeks with a our little one.

Among my mates (30’s) everyone has had different experiences. While some do fall pregnant quickly, taking times doesn’t mean it won’t happen. I used to find the NHS stats reassuring - that half of couples who don’t get pregnant within a year will conceive the following year. Positive stories, three of my friends have had first babies this year (aged 33-37).

I know the limbo period is hard, but you are not too late xx

Carley321 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:16:13

Thank you so much ladies. I’m already feeling a little more positive. I am 33 now been ttc since I was 31 but only 12 cycles due to irregular periods. But thank you so much for reply’s. It’s a really tough journey at times and it really gets me down constantly failing at it.

@teacuptale what is the CB that you mentioned. I haven’t seen them?

@NavyBerry yes he’s been checked. Supersperm for him 👍. It really is a mans world lol.

@MissingCoffeeandWine thank you for sharing you story. Sex can become really stressful which is what I’m finding hardest.

Aw thank you so much all. I have literally felt a lift already just hearing all these stories. Well I’m one cycle away from my second year so hopefully my chances have doubled already 😂.

teacuptale Sat 10-Aug-19 10:20:53

I don’t think I put the right name- they are the dual hormone ovulation predictor kits. This one gives a flashing smiley face for your fertile days and then a static smiley for the LH surge. Have a look and see what you think. Also just to add that I had both of my children in my thirties.

mila1988 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:46:15

I'm 30, we conceived successfully after trying for 6 months. Did all the tests as I was worried about my age, irregular cycle, DH's sperm count. Turned out everything was fine and it was all down to luck! I'm now 16 weeks smile

Carley321 Fri 16-Aug-19 10:18:26

Thank you so much ladies. I’m feeling so much more positive having read these stories hopefully the distress will help 🤞😊 xxx

LouH1981 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:18:44

Hi, I conceived my first when I was was 33. It was the first month we tried so when we came to try for DC2 I thought it would be easy - ha!
We tried for about 14 months, I eventually fell pregnant but miscarried at 11 weeks.
We tried again immediately after (even though emotionally I was all over the place) and eventually conceived 7 months later. Those 7 months were filled with grief, stress, and fertility tests. No problems found with either of us.
I truly believe that we both just too anxious and stressed about it. DTD was a chore.
The month I conceived, I used a bbt, guainfenisin cough syrup (to increase cm) and a Clear Blue Indicator kit. I was also already using ubiquinol to improve egg quality. I think it helped to feel a bit more in control. I also read ‘It Starts With the Egg’ and ‘Taking Charge of your Fertility’
I am now 25 weeks with every things crossed.
Please don’t give up hope. I understand how hard it is. Maybe try and book a few days off/away over your next fertile days. Have faith that it will happen in time xx

kirinm Fri 16-Aug-19 20:20:48

I'm 41 and have an 11 month old baby. I've had several miscarriages as well. It might be worth looking into the irregular periods because I'm sure having a regular predictable cycle helped me. I completely changed the way I ate and exercised the year before I got pregnant - and lost nearly 3 stone. I had a tricky pregnancy but against all odds, I carried her to term. I 100% believe that the way I treated my body the year before conceiving changed things for me.

smarty14 Fri 16-Aug-19 22:11:49

I'm 34 and been trying for quite a while
We've been discharged from the hospital i need to loose weight to get clomid and go on ivf waiting list

The consultant recommended i buy inofolic to help my irregular periods; its pricey but i'm at a point where i will try anything

She also put me on tablets to lower my thyroid; while mine is completely normal apparently for a woman trying to concieve/pregnant thyroid reading should come in at 2.5 (mine was 5) so i'm on a 3 month course to try and lower it and will then possibly put on a higher dosage for another 3 months.
Apparently hospitals are in the process of telling gps about this 🤷🏻‍♀️

Always happy to chat 😉

onlyoneoftheregimentinstep Fri 16-Aug-19 22:24:54

I had my DD at 29 (after 10 months of trying) and my DS at 34 (conceived in the first month). My DD had her first at 34 (conceived in the first month) and her second at 38 (after 20 months of trying). It's still very early days - don't give up hope!

Carley321 Sat 17-Aug-19 13:58:23

@LouH1981 thank you for sharing and the advice. Did a doctor recommend Ubiqnol? I’ve heard of a few people taking this. How do you know if you need to?

@kirinm thank you. I’m sorry for the struggles you’ve been through. I was on the pill for 15 years and Iv just maybe put the irregularity down to that. But on a positive not the last 3 cycles I’ve had under a 33 day cycle 🤞 I hope it continues.
@smarty14 thanks. I hope you get some luck to. I wonder how I’ve never been recommended infolic for my irregular periods. It’s been over a year since stopping the pill now. I have heard the med diet is supposed to be helpful (from a private consultant).

@onlyoneoftheregimentinstep thank you. I know it’s not been that long. But as it’s my first and and Iv left it later to even try I’m just worried if there is an issue time isn’t on my side.

This page has really helped me feel that little more positive that everything will work out. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later 🤣

LouH1981 Sun 18-Aug-19 09:42:22

@Carley321 Hi, no I read about Ubiquinol in a book. It’s a concentrated form of CQ10 enzyme so works quicker, I believe. I took 200 mg a day for about 3 months.
It helps cell renewal and it helps reduce anti oxidative stress so because the quality of our eggs diminishes over time it helps to renew the cells. It certainly doesn’t do any harm as far as I am aware. I got the Jannod brand from Amazon. It is pricey but worth a try. I read that a lot of people felt they had a bit more energy with it too xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »