Talk

Advanced search

TTC after depo

(22 Posts)
KLNM89 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:31:57

Hi all, I’m new to mumsnet but thought I would join the discussions.

I was on the depo injection for 4 years, understanding that it takes time for everything to go back to normal but we have now decided it’s time to start TTC and start a family. My last injection was January so it ran out at the start of April.

I’m experiencing a lot of symptoms of my periods returning (cramps, tender breasts, various discharge) but no AF yet.

Just looking for some words of encouragement, advice or experiences of your own.

TIA xx

ps, I was on the depo injection about 10 years ago and came off it for other reasons so I know it’s possible for things to return to normal, I just can’t remember how long it took

Wishtobeamamma Sun 02-Jun-19 06:06:27

Hi! We are in exactly the same boat! Last injection January and stopped taking officially in April! I still haven't had AF however get tummy cramps

KLNM89 Sun 02-Jun-19 20:58:14

Hey! I know everyone is different but it's interesting to hear how quickly, or not, things got going again. I'm very impatient, I've don't think I've ever wanted a period so much in my life lol.

Keep me posted on your journey

Wishtobeamamma Sun 09-Jun-19 12:18:24

10 weeks tomorrow since I didn't take my last shot and still nothing! No AF or anything! Getting frustrated x

Skyla01 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:25:52

I haven't been on depo, but can share my experiences after stopping the pill. For first 2 weeks I had bad stomach cramps, then some nausea for 2 weeks. Then things went quiet, and I finally got first period 8 weeks after stopping the pill. It felt like quite a long wait! The difficulty is that some symptoms (nausea, no AF) are exactly the same as you would expect if pregnant! If you have negative pregnancy tests I'm afraid it's a waiting game for cycles to come back. But hope you don't have too long to wait.

Lexilooo Sun 09-Jun-19 12:43:11

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it took ages for my periods to return after Depo, and even longer for them to become regular. Over a year.

KLNM89 Sun 09-Jun-19 19:42:58

Nope still nothing. Still getting some symptoms and I have taken a pregnancy test just to be sure. I'm pretty sure my boobs have grown, I thought that was something that happened when you started contraception (and they don't need to get any bigger) 🙈

I know that my periods will start again, like you've said it's just a waiting game. I'm just very impatient lol

ChampooPapi Tue 11-Jun-19 12:03:20

@KLNM89 hey I was on depo for 8 years after my first born and actually when I came off it my periods didn't return at all. But three months after that I got pregnant with my second.

So your periods don't have to come back to get pregnant, though I think this is less the norm so to speak.

I am going to try for our third when this one runs out the end of next month so i will report back smile

KLNM89 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:50:18

That's amazing, and good to know. I don't feel like I would be that lucky lol. Will be interesting to see how quickly things happen this time for you

ChampooPapi Wed 12-Jun-19 12:55:49

@KLNM89 just keep taking your folic acid and it really wouldn't surprise me if your periods didn't return (or didn't return to anything regular) and you got pregnant smile

Just keep having sex and don't be disheartened!

KLNM89 Thu 13-Jun-19 20:39:05

Can’t say no to that! @Wishtobeamamma anything yet?

Wishtobeamamma Sun 16-Jun-19 20:32:39

@KLMN89 nothing yet!!

KLNM89 Mon 17-Jun-19 19:59:21

Here's a question, those of you that fell pregnant without your periods returning,how did you know when to do a test? I've read pregnancy symtoms are similar to menstruation symtoms. Surely I can't start taking a test every month 'just to check'

soberken Mon 17-Jun-19 20:20:56

Mine took nearly 10 years to come back!!!! Never been regular since ..... now heading for menopause

Wish to high hell I NEVER had it

soberken Mon 17-Jun-19 20:23:13

Actually @KLNM89 that's exactly what I did, I couldn't know I was pregnant due to late period as never had them. I just felt terribly out of sorts one day so randomly took a test. Bingo was pregnant! Had no idea how far I was. Went for a scan I was 10 weeks .......

DS is a fabulous 5 year old now wink

PotteringAlong Mon 17-Jun-19 20:26:26

I had 3 children in 5 years and was on depo before and in between them.

Dc1 was conceived 7 weeks after my injection ran out.
Dc2 took 17 months - 12 months after my periods came back and about 9 months after I stopped breastfeeding.
Dc3 took 5 months.

I had 3 injections between ttc dc1 and 2 and then 4 injections between ttc 2 and 3.

I also randomly took a pregnancy test - I was pregnant with DC1 before my periods returned

Wishtobeamamma Tue 25-Jun-19 19:34:32

@KLNM89 Any update? I've had tender boobs the past few days and mild cramping however testing negative on pregnancy tests and can't judge when I should even be testing due to not having AF!

KLNM89 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:27:13

No still nothing. I've been at a festival this weekend so was quite happy to have no AF and no positive . It was quite nice to not think about it all for a while. I haven't had any cramps for a while and my boobs are always tender but I'm starting to think that's just normal (I'm quite large chested anyway so they are quite weighty lol). I did a test last week just to put my mind at rest that I could have a few drinks at the weekend and I've decided not to test again until the end of next month just before I'm due to give blood. I feel like we could become obsessed with testing for no reason but I agree it's hard to know what to do. I figured AF comes once a month to know if you could be pregnant or not so I'll swap that for a test until AF returns

Wishtobeamamma Wed 03-Jul-19 13:16:04

@KLNM89 hope you enjoyed the festival! It's nice to take your mind off TTC for a while. I'm having a down day today. Did another test as my boobs are still swelling however it's negative on a cheapie and a FRER. Maybe this could be a sign that my periods are coming back?

Have you had any symptoms?

KLNM89 Wed 03-Jul-19 19:28:58

@Wishtobeamamma ahhh babe don't get down. It's so tough to not get totally obsessed with looking out for every tiny little change in our bodies and wondering what it might mean. We're in it together! 😘

I really haven't. Since I stopped the injection I've been having a lot more discharge (sorry for TMI) which is most of the time and then a couple of days every now and then that I don't notice it. I haven't had any cramps for weeks now and like I said my boobs always seem to be a bit tender but I really don't think that means anything. I've been using the flo app to track all these symptoms, are you keeping track of it all?

Wishtobeamamma Wed 03-Jul-19 23:24:27

@KLNM89 I've also been using Flo! Although I do think it makes me symptom spot quite bad just so I can input something on there 🤣.

Not TMI about CM as I've experienced the same too. I guess our bodies are trying to get back to normal!

KLNM89 Sun 11-Aug-19 21:53:36

So it's now 7 months after my last injection and still no AF and no BFP. Has anyone ever taken any supplements to promote periods (and hopefully ovulation) back again. I've read about dong quai?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »