Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation and luteal phase

(8 Posts)
Chocol4te Sat 25-May-19 09:14:43

Looking for some clarification please, my cycles are irregular so it's hard to pinpoint ovulation, started to use Clearblue digital ovulation tests and I am wondering is AF due EXACTLY 14-16 days after ovulation? Or if it's late means for sure we ovulated later? Can luteal phase be longer than normal? For example CB showing stating on day 15, ovulation lets say will be day 16-17 , will AF come exactly 14-16 days after? If it will be later means we ovulated later even if we had static smiley or means luteal phase was longer?

Sorry! Hope the above makes sense

HelloBrass Sat 25-May-19 09:38:33

As I understand it, the length of the luteal phase is generally fixed, do it's the date of ovulation that moves.

My luteal phase is always 15 days, so I can work backwards to pinpoint ovulation.

The length of a luteal phase varies for each woman. It can be very short, less than 10 days or so, or much longer.

I used CB digital to work out ovulation and from that I could work out the length of my luteal phase.

HelloBrass Sat 25-May-19 09:41:11

Also to add - I appreciate that irregular cycles make it harder to pinpoint ov with OPKs. My cycle tends to vary only by a few days, so I know roughly when to start using the tests.

Have you considered tracking bbt?

Chocol4te Sat 25-May-19 12:36:55

Thanks for replying, yes I will start BBT next month, to triple check ovulation, I had this month a static smiley face, now let's see when AF will come, so I can check luteal phase, and will see next month as well, should be the same length luteal phase , correct?

Chanel05 Sat 25-May-19 17:32:31

@Chocol4te generally speaking it should be near enough the same. My lp lasts between 12-14 days (it varies month on month) and my doctor told me this is quite normal.

Chocol4te Sat 25-May-19 17:57:25

I get what you saying but I just wonder ,if CB digital showed LH surge and static smiley on day 15, and period is for example 25 days later, means I had a longer luteal phase? Or that CB was wrong and I ovulated later?

Chanel05 Sat 25-May-19 18:16:36

Do you temp? Your body can sometimes gear up to ovulate and then it not happen. Temping along side of opks is the most reliable way to show when you ovulated.

Chocol4te Sat 25-May-19 20:13:20

I will start next cycle to chart as well, maybe will clarify everything ☺️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »