Talk

Advanced search

Threatening miscarriage. Success stories and handhold please

(49 Posts)
Pleaseletitbeme Fri 17-May-19 14:25:12

Hi, I’ve hopped over here from the infertility board.
I’m 5weeks pregnant (icsi). Had a bleed last night- a few small clots, cramping and a little dark blood. I had no active bleeding overnight and have a small amount of brown discharge this morning.
I’ve been to my clinic and they’ve done bloods and a urine hcg (strong positive). I have repeat bloods Monday (beta hcg) and they’ve started me on injectable progesterone to go along with the pessaries I already take.
I’m absolutely beside myself with worry that I’ve had or I’m about to have a miscarriage.
Help.

Kinsters Fri 17-May-19 14:59:17

I had bleeding with clots at 6 weeks (the begining of this week) so went for a scan because I was sure I was going to miscarry but everything looked fine. The bleedings stopped now. Will your clinic be able to offer you a scan soon?

Good luck and I hope the bleeding stops soon. It's such a stressful time isn't it.

Pleaseletitbeme Fri 17-May-19 16:52:50

Hi Kinsters. Wasn’t offered a scan. Maybe that’s something I will get Monday if no bleeding over weekend?

turquoiseturtle Fri 17-May-19 16:54:59

You poor thing, this is such a stressful thing to go through!

I wouldn't panic yet. Bleeds in early pregnancy are quite common. Strong positive hcg urine is a good sign. No red blood is a good sign. The repeat hcg bloods will tell you more hopefully.

I have some advice from my own experience, but it does relate to a pregnancy that didn't work out, whereas I think there's every chance yours will be fine. So skip this if it makes you feel worse, but it if it's useful, here's what helped me when I had a threatened miscarriage with very low and slowly rising hcg levels...

- having the EPU on speed dial, and calling them up any time of the day and night if I was worried.

- preparing supplies so I could look after myself if it did happen. I made sure I had sanitary towels, a whole heap of wet wipes, and co-codamol with me at all times.

- telling close friends who had their own experience of difficult pregnancies what was happening, and taking all the support I could get.

- calling in sick to work (I wish I had done this sooner!)

- hunkering down as if I had the flu, and doing everything I could to keep myself calm and settle my mind. Lots of chocolate, light reading, crossword puzzles, etc. I found doing colouring books while listening to music particularly good.

- I can't even explain this, but trying to reach a place where you've made your peace with the outcome. You cannot control what will happen next. Have courage. You are strong and will get through this.

I hope you have good news from the beta hcg on Monday.

Pleaseletitbeme Fri 17-May-19 17:45:16

Turquoiseturtle. Thank you so much.
What good advice.
I have my own business so I’ve said I have gastroenteritis and can’t go in for a week.
I’ve been asleep all afternoon (was away most of the night).
No active bleeding at the moment. Clear/very very pale brown. No Leukorrhoea.

Felicitycity Fri 17-May-19 17:56:05

I bled heavily in my first pregnancy at 12 weeks. Heavier than a period. The baby was fine.

Pleaseletitbeme Fri 17-May-19 17:57:59

Thank you Felicity.

Pleaseletitbeme Sat 18-May-19 12:34:50

So no more bleeding. It’s such a mindfuck,
Not knowing if I’ve miscarried or about to...

turquoiseturtle Sat 18-May-19 19:07:47

It is that for sure. Good to hear there’s no more bleeding. Keep taking it easy!

physicskate Sat 18-May-19 20:04:01

The nurse at my infertility clinic told me that bleeding during an ivf pregnancy is more common than a non-ivf pregnancy. Hopefully it's just that for you!

Pleaseletitbeme Sat 18-May-19 20:16:20

Physicskate, thank you.
I’m a huge believer in positive patients doing the best. I think the support on this board helps massively.

cranstonmanor Sat 18-May-19 20:20:57

One of my cousins had a big bleed during the beginning of her pregnancy, she had been expecting twins but lost one. The other stayed put and became a strong willed healthy little girl. My SIL also lost half of a twin in the first few weeks. Apparantly it's more common then I thought. Turns out that much more pregnancies start as twins but lots of people lose half very early. So it could be that.

Brenna24 Sat 18-May-19 20:35:07

I have had bleeds and had a baby with a good strong heartbeat. I have lost babies with no bleeding, cramping, loss of symptoms or any signs that anything was wrong (missed miscarriage). After years of recurrent miscarriages I have had a successful pregnancy which was my worst for bleeds, but my baby was absolutely fine. I have a friend who has had 3 successful pregnancies and 3 miscarriages. The successful pregnancies she had such heavy bleeds she was kept in hospital, the miscarriages she didn't bleed at all. Bleeding in early pregnancy is incredibly scary, especially with such a precious pregnancy, but it is not necessarily a sign of problems. Best of luck. I hope that your HCG has risen nicely on Monday.

Pleaseletitbeme Sat 18-May-19 21:22:20

Cranstonmanor. I had two hatching blasts put in... so I was wondering if one had been expelled....

Pleaseletitbeme Mon 20-May-19 23:46:56

So.... mad day.
Beta hcg is at a good level suggestive of twins.
Repeat Beta today for comparison then scan in 2 weeks.
brain is bent by the whole process.

Kinsters Tue 21-May-19 05:09:47

Congratulations, that's great that you got a good beta! Good luck for the scan. My next one is in just under 2 weeks.

After my bleeding I was researching about bleeding in early pregnancy and light bleeding/spotting early on doesn't correlate with later loss so try not to worry about it.

GlamGiraffe Tue 21-May-19 05:18:49

I bled at 6 weeks.was terribly worried consultant told me best thing was to avoid hospital was much as possible, stay at home and try to cosy up in bed and sleep. High hcg is a very good sign. Try to really rest. Don't the injectable progesterone hurt?!! Hopefully they will do the job!

Pleaseletitbeme Tue 21-May-19 09:25:49

Giant giraffe.... I’m on lubion whixh is an aqueous suspension, not an oily suspension so there is no pain.... what did you take?

GlamGiraffe Tue 21-May-19 17:48:53

Don't remember the name but it was absolute agony!

blackcatclocks Tue 21-May-19 17:51:22

I had one of these in my second pregnancy, she is now 2 years old 😁

Pleaseletitbeme Tue 21-May-19 18:08:17

Thanks everyone for your contributions. It’s really helped.
Beta yesterday still good and still suggestive of twins.

Brenna24 Sat 25-May-19 18:09:37

Great news

Pleaseletitbeme Sat 25-May-19 18:24:15

Had another little bleed last night. No pain....
I’m full of cold...
but apart from that I’m
Staying positive and i’ll call my clinic on Tuesday provided all ok this weekend.

DameSylvieKrin Sat 25-May-19 18:33:05

Both our dc were icsi.
Dd: bleeding at 6 and 9 weeks.
Ds: bleeding at 7, 8, 10 and 14 weeks. Huge clots.
Bleeding is hugely stressful but doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a problem.

Pleaseletitbeme Sat 25-May-19 18:46:50

DSK- thank you.
I’m not as worried as I was last week.
Just wish I didn’t have cold. Arghhh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »