Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive after depo injection

(10 Posts)
Alfiee12 Thu 16-May-19 13:09:25

Please help me came off injection in January after being in it for 5 years.. my periods are all over the place can be as little as every 3 days or as long as 5 weeks what is going on has anyone else suffered with this ??

dementedpixie Thu 16-May-19 13:10:34

It can take up to 1 year for fertility to return after depo

PotteringAlong Thu 16-May-19 13:13:09

It can take a while to get sorted. I’ve been on depo between all 3 of mine - it took 7 weeks to conceive number 1, 17 months to conceive number 2 and 6 months to conceive number 3.

Alfiee12 Thu 16-May-19 13:13:39

I’m in no rush to conceive just feeling so rubbish with all these periods I just want to go back to being regular x

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 16-May-19 13:14:52

What were your periods like before the injection?
There can be a delay of up to a year in the return of fertility after stopping the depo injection.women vary enormously with this. Fertility rates do return to normal however.
It could be that this is a result of the depo or it could be completely unrelated.

Alfiee12 Thu 16-May-19 13:27:56

I can’t really remember before the injection been to see the doctor they told me to go back in another six months but really suffering iron and blood pressure very low feel rubbish all the time x

puma84 Thu 16-May-19 13:35:55

Mine was like this 5 years ago. Came off it in October. Periods were crazy so I went on the pill to regulate them in March. Stopped taking the pill in may and fell pregnant in the September that was after having the injections for 6 years.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 16-May-19 13:45:47

Taking the pill is only 'regulating' your periods in the sense of giving you a bleed when you choose to have one be it every 28 days, every 56 days or every 15 days. It isn't doing anything to your underlying condition however if your periods are so heavy and frequent that you have low iron and are anaemic they can manipulate your system to give you less frequent bleeding and usually lighter flow that with a natural period.

VenusStarr Thu 16-May-19 16:18:48

I’m in no rush to conceive I'm unclear why you're posting this in the infertilty board then @Alfiee12?

It's normal for cycles to take up to a year to regulate after hormonal contraception.

AnyaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-19 16:43:56

Hi there OP,

We hope you don't mind - we're moving this to conception now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »