Talk

Advanced search

34, TTC in December, what should I do for next 6 months?

(7 Posts)
Awake6 Fri 10-May-19 13:35:10

DH and I will be TTC in December of this year. It is our first baby. Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to help the process? I have read to take folic acid, are there any check ups I should get done or anything which can check my egg count etc? Should I start exercising? Thanks

crazychemist Fri 10-May-19 15:32:57

By all means get yourself in good shape, but if your weight is not extreme it shouldn’t make much difference.

Do get started on the folic acid.

If it helps you to feel in control, you can start tracking your cycles to look for when ovulation occurs (although you absolutely do not have to do this if you don’t fancy it, but it might keep you busy!): day 1 is the first day of your cycle. Make a note of days that you get EWCM (completely colourless, wet and stretchy when you wipe, as opposed to white or creamy and sticky). These are usually the fertile days of your cycle. You can also use OPKs (you can get cheap packs of 50 on Amazon) - basically you pee in a cup and dip them in once a day from a couple of days before you think you’ll ovulate (say, day 11), look out for signs of a faint line which will usually become a dark line 24-48 before you ovulate. You can also track your basal temperature first thing in the morning (literally first, before you get out of bed). A change in temperature tells you that you ovulated about 3 days ago.

Any/combination of/all of these methods should give you a good idea of if you ovulate at the same time in your cycle, and of anything that might be problematic e.g. short luteal phase (gap between ovulation and period of less than 10 days). Ideally, you dtd every 2 days from 4/5 days before you ovulate till 2/3 days after. Generally accepted wisdom is that correctly timed dtd gives you 25% conception in each cycle.

But it could take a while and these things can drive you insane, so maybe do none of the above unless you have trouble!

Egg count etc is unnecessary unless you have specific issues.

Good luck to you smile

MotherOfDragons90 Sat 11-May-19 08:18:48

Me and DH are also waiting until December as we are going to a Zika country in June. It’s driving me mad! He keeps telling me not to wish my life away but I know the next six months are going to drag by.

I’ve downloaded a couple of apps to monitor my cycles and plan to start taking folic acid in September time. Trying to eat healthy and excercise regularly too as it can’t hurt (I’m not overweight though). Mainly though, im also trying to save as much money as I can so when it happens we have a nice cushion.

blackcat86 Sat 11-May-19 08:40:10

Saving some extra money is a good. You've had some great advice above about folic acid and tracking your cycle. My GP advised that a standard folic acid supplement is best until you conceive and then switch to a pregnacare prenatal vitamin. She was quite blunt that before conception the fancier supplements are a waste of money. I would also make sure you have plenty of green leafy veggies in your diet to get some good iron and calcium stores. Try to do some fun things regularly with your partner to. Not that life is over after DCs but most people I know have had 6 months to a year of feeling a bit off kilter.

butterflycatcher Sat 11-May-19 22:36:31

FYI the advice on zika has changed. You now only need to wait 3 months.

TildaTurnip Sat 11-May-19 22:41:08

I agree with monitoring cycles. I used Clue and that really helped me understand what my body was doing-I had a short luteal phase and wouldn’t have have guessed that without tracking. I would take folic acid too.

ckc45d10 Tue 14-May-19 12:46:43

If you are looking into the basics of diet and lifestyle for fertility, this research article goes over some information: fertilityresearchandpractice.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40738-015-0003-4

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »